The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Casting problems: Constant tangling

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G40nutta

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Casting problems: Constant tangling Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the forum and hoping people can offer some advice.

As mentioned in another post I treated myself to a birthday day's fishing at Lechlade yesterday and I think it's safe to say the day was ruined by constant tangles of the fly and tippet (and occasionally of the fly smacking the line itself).

I have 2 questions:

[*]Is there any obvious things I can do to improve/stop this?
[*]Is there anywhere people would recommend for casting lessons in the Bristol/South West are?

Many thanks in advance
Jay
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like tailing loops to me... where the flyline / leader cross over and tangle up on the forward cast.
Picture in your minds eye where the tip of the rod goes on your forward cast - so the line it traces in the casting arc. This should be a convex path - sort of:

A tailing loop forms when you have a concave tip path.
This happens when you put a whole heap more power into the cast in an effort to reach that rising fish, but don't increase the casting angle (i.e. the angle between your back stop position and forward stop position). So all that extra power flexes the rod into a deeper curve, which lowers the tip in the middle of the path (see crap picture below).
So - you stop it by either widening the casting angle or turning down the power (which gives you the first crap picture again Wink ).
Thus:

The key thing to remember is that in the vertical plane you want a slightly convex path, and in the horizontal plane a straight line path (so no kicking out to the sides or you get wierd wobbles!).

I'd recommend getting a lesson or two with an FFF or APGAI casting instructor. There are tonnes listed on the respective websites.

One I've met, both through the internet and face to face, who is a genuine and decent guy is Lee (Totsy). You can find him here:

http://www.doublehaul.co.uk/

Plenty of others here:

http://www.aapgai.co.uk/

Hope that helps,
Kev
G40nutta

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kev,

I think you could well be right. It does seem to happen more often when I'm trying that bit harder, also seems to happen more with the new rod (10' Airflo 40+).

I'll keep this all in mind when I'm out on Saturday, but definitely think a few lessons are in order.

Jay
Randy Kadish

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tailing loops are usually caused by applying too much power too early. If you're hauling, try to
delay your downward haul, and try to end it when you abruptly stop the rod.

Randy
chuckfluffer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be tailing loops or your tracking is not perfect, or , or. Was it windy? can you cast over the opposite shoulder. If the wind was from behind it might just be that your backcast was not straightening. When things start to go wrong the tendancy is to try harder, put more effort in. That just compounds the problem. Back off, relax, smooth everything out.

Mike
Salmo Trutta

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay
Speak to Pete at Devon School of fly fishing. He is based at the Fox & Hounds in Eggerton. True fishing nut but he'll iron out those problems in no time at all.

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com/
G40nutta

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks just the ticket; I'll give them a call later Very Happy

Salmo Trutta wrote:
Jay
Speak to Pete at Devon School of fly fishing. He is based at the Fox & Hounds in Eggerton. True fishing nut but he'll iron out those problems in no time at all.

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: