The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Zenith Fly Rods by Stephen Parkes

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smudger564

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Zenith Fly Rods by Stephen Parkes Reply with quote

Hi all, Iv'e just tried these some new rods by Stephen Parkes, marketing under the name of Zenith Fly rods. I'm biased toward Scott Rods, but, having tried these I'm maybe thinking of changing. The rods are hand built to custom order and have a fantastic finish and build quality. Of course you have to pay for this and on average the rods cost around £250, but you do have the option of trying before you buy.

I tried two rods yesterday, both 9ft, one on a five weight and one on a six weight but capable of handling a seven weight. These are fast action rods oozing quality, low in hand weight and very tippy. I caught a fish of around six pounds, that tested the flex rating on this and there was plenty of backbone to subdue the fish quickly.

You don't need a fast casting action because these are fast action rods with tips that recover equally quickly, but they're not pokers. You can check these out on Stephen's web site on www.zenithflyrods.co.uk There is also some other contact info should you need it. It won't cost you anything to look so check it out.

Best Regards

Smudger564
Steve Parkes

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smudger

I'm so pleased that you liked the rod. Where did you try one out and which blank was in it?

Cheers

Steve
smudger564

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, Wow, what a difference with a proper seven weight makes. Fishing Ellerdine Lakes on Friday, typical windy day, but the FT blanks cope extremely well with the wind, even directly into it!! Phenominal power for a nine footer.

Very inpressive Stephen, like it a lot, even roll cast superbly. You can mend a long line or snake roll it to the top and tap it out. Effortless casting. Nice finish too! You could use an eight weight with this and lose no performance whatsoever.

Glad I bought it, thanks again

Smudger564
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Bones
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think we were born yesterday? If you want to sell rods on here at least go about it properly with a banner or just posting with a link in your signature.

Nobody on here will fall for the old trick of new members coming on and singing the praises of your rods only a couple of days after you started posting yourself. Or is it just coincidence Rolling Eyes

Bones
Steve Parkes

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Until yesterday I had no idea who smudger was. I'm really sorry that you think this was contrived....it wasn't. Not only that but I was sorting a banner etc to put on here as a trade member.

I'm really please that Smudger (or Stewart as I've now found out) liked the rod and wrote such a great report but if you're not happy with this thread I'll contact him and ask him to remove it.

Regards

Steve
Bones
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we are too cynical!
I'm sure that if you have a banner you will see a good increase in sales. I try and buy from our members with banners where possible

Bones
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough then Steve. We do tend to get a bit cynical as we've had a fair amount of advertising that seems to be a set up by people without banners. Look forward to seeing yours soon.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Steve Parkes

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Banner is on the way. Sadly its its proving far more difficult (for me anyway) than building a rod!

If anyone on here who likes ultra fast rods like the Sage TCX (but faster!!) and has written reviews before wants to demo a rod, please get in touch. They're not for beginners though.

Cheers

Steve
smudger564

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Apologies to all Reply with quote

Hi all and Bones,
I didn't try to mislead you in any way whatsoever. The info is all true, you don't have to believe me, try one then you'll see what I'm raving about.

Best regards and intentions

Smudger564
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9ft 6in wt 7 built on a LORHIC blank (not by Steve Parkes) and it is honestly the best rod I have owned in 40 odd years of fly fishing. I had it custom built using Recoil rings (Loomis use them) and the line just flies out. If you want a £600 rod for less than half the money then go to someone like Steve Parkes and specify a LORHIC blank (and they are British). Haven't used the CTS blank, New Zealand made I believe, but have heard great reports about them as double handers.

Tenet
Steve Parkes

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tenet

The Lorhic certainly is a fantastically smooth casting rod. My personal favourites are the Dan Craft FT blanks I build on. They are 57 million modulus carbon blanks and they are a serious casting tool. However unlike some so called casting rods they aren't stiff and boardy and hard to fish with.

Thanks again for the comment

Regards

Steve
smudger564

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Recent Review - Zenith Fly Rods Reply with quote

Hi All, On Friday 14 May I met Stevie Parkes of Zenith Fly Rods at Ellerdine Lakes in Shropshire. I had asked him to take an FT, a Harrison Lorhic and a CTS Affinity X. I had a quick flick of the CTS and the Harrison first on Steve's advice. I think he wanted me to see the difference in them, but finish with the FT 9' 6/7. I've tried the FT before, all be it briefly, on a six, then seven weight.

The CTS Affinity X in a 5wt was very light and extremely well put together. as all Steve's rods seem to be. It had a very crisp tip action and generated plenty of line speed. I only cast it about 5 times as I wanted to get onto the other two.

Next was the Harrison Lorhic 7wt. This rod is more middle to tip action and was very nice to cast. Again I only cast it about half a dozen times, but got a pretty good idea of the rod, from that. Very stable and again it generates line speed with ease. I'm not really a Harrison man, but I can see why people like them.

Next was the FT, which is the main reason I asked Steve to meet me there. Again beautifully put together and looked identical to the rod on his website. I asked if it was the same rod, but he told me that the rod on the site, went to a customer in Holland. It had the channel lock Pacific Bay reel seat, which held the reel rock solid. A top quality cork handle, which suited my hands very well. The single leg stand off line guides, which Steve told me, keep the action of the blank truer and faster when compared to standard snakes. I've always had rods with double leg snake guides but I now understand the difference after Steve explained it. Last part of the build to describe was the Blue thread work and varnish coating....this was flawless and looked stunning against the matt grey finish of the FT blank. All in all a looker. I don't know if some people won't like the matt finish, but I do.

I put my own reel and Snowbee 7wt floater on the rod and off I went. Steve just sat there on a bench with a knowing smile on his face. All I can say is WOW!! I stripped off the reel what I thought was plenty of line for the medium powered cast I was planning to make. I pushed forward on the rod and finished with my usual tap and the line zipped through the rings and I got a lovely smack as the slack was taken up. I looked round to Steve, who was grinning like a Cheshire cat.....he had 'told you so' written all over his face.

My overall opinion of the rod, is like I said before "WOW". It totally blew me away. I normally fish Scott rods but now I'm converted. I can't stress enough that you should give one of Steve's FT's a try. Stevie has kindly left a demo rod at Ellerdine Lakes too, for others to try. If you like fast rods that aren't stiff or collapse under extreme casting, then you will be hard pressed to beat an FT, with anything costing under £500.

So have I taken the plunge. I've decided on the 6/7, standard build, instead of the 5/6 that Steve tells me, is just as sweet. Now I;m just trying to decide what thread colour to go for. As soon as I've made up my mind, Steve will put my rod order in the cue and I hope to have the rod in a week or two. What more can I say?

See Steve Parkes work on his site at zenithflyrods.co.uk you won't be dissappointed.

Regards

Smudger564
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: