The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next day back once again to Greymouth where there is a Ford agent & hoped to finally get the handbrake
fixed. They had a look, said it was the forward cable but they had no spare .... neither did any other agents
they could source from according to a search of their puter parts. In fact after ring the main agents in Auckland
did not have one either ???????? saying one would need to be sent from Aus. Further ringing about found a
truck wrecker in Nelson had a 2nd hand one that could be sent by overnight courier, so a tentative booking
( to be confirmed asap by us ) was made to have it sent & fitted.

This posed something of a dilemma as only had a few days before swmbo was due to fly home to Auckland
from Ch/Ch as had relies coming to stay.

P.S. Is fortunate she does not read this ... if she ever did ... then I'm dead!

After considerable deliberation decided did not really want to spend most of the remaining time hanging around Greymouth
& furthermore until the part arrived, there was no absolute guarantee it would be the correct part. So was decided we would
move on & I would have it done later somewhere. With only a few days left .... where to go .... inland to fish perhaps but
most rivers were still running high. Another option was to visit Karamea which is the furthermost nthern town in Westland as
we had not been there before .... so Karamea it was, set off even tho it was almost late afternoon as there would be no time
to waste.

Stayed overnight a bit sth. of the Punakaiki rocks, a much favoured tourist destination which we drove past next morning
deciding not to stop as had seen them before & would do so on the return trip if there was time .... pics later.

Stayed that night at a sandy estuary at a river mouth that was reputedly swarming with flounder which was about the only
species that remained on the wish list, so after dinner when it was dark enough, set out with light & spear .. but water was
rushing in stirring up the shallows affecting visibility, so flounder remained yet to be crossed off the list.

Next morning started the formidable climb over the hills to Karamea :-

Motorcyclist about 2/3 rds thru his climb & pic taken from above on the same road, giving some idea of the bends
encountered.

Road can only just be seen winding its' way over the hill.

What is incredible is that milk tankers which can only have some of the worlds' best drivers make this trip from
dairy factory at Hokitika (sth. of Greymouth) to collect milk from the farms along the way ... regardless of weather
7 days a week almost 365 days per year. These truck & trailer units hold on average 28,000 litres of milk & weigh
46 tonnes or 50 tonnes if filled to capacity.

Would imagine it epitomises the saying ... "There are old drivers & there are bold drivers BUT there are NO old bold drivers"

In the pic of the tanker crossing the bridge whitebaiters can be seen working their stands on the river. Whitebait are a tiny
(maybe 75mm) semi translucent fish considered a delicacy & commanding huge prices. They are netted in fine mesh nets
in fixed stand or scoop type over an approx 2 mth. season ... when prime spots are highly sought after & any with ownership
rights sell for unreal prices.

Unfortunately did not have a lot of time to spend in Karamea for it has a couple of very enticing rivers ... had a peek at
the harbour as it exists now ... was once a busy port but now is too shallow after the sea bed rose during the Murchison earthquake & was thereafter far too shallow.

Karamea is big on adventure activities & is the starting point for the world famous Heaphy walking track & three or
four others, as well as kayaking etc..

http://www.karameainfo.co.nz/

Half way up, looking back down the valley to the estuary in the distance.

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly would like to say for those that may be finding these reports a bit tedious ... the good news
is that there are not too many more to go .... in the meantime ...... We leave Karamea on the return
trip to Greymouth where Dorothy is booked on the Trans Alpine rail trip tomorrow afternoon to Ch/Ch
to fly home to Ak.

On the way back stopped briefly at various places of (mainly mining) historic value for which I find I am
developing a growing interest.

Also decided to join the hordes of tourists drawn ( or more likely directed ) to the Punakaiki Rocks.

The sea on the West Coast can get pretty stroppy at times .... is comparatively settled in these pics
but still not the sort of conditions you would like to be out in a small rowboat with a raging toothache &
having lost the oars!

newsflash

Click link below ... then choose "Thursday" to read a newspaper report of what happened a week ago
when gusts of wind over 100kph coincided with an extra high tide, driving the sea up into a motor/home
POP beach camp near Westport. Up to 50 m/homes were here & the one in the pic being washed away
was tipped over shortly after pic was taken.

http://westportnews.co.nz/frontpages.htm

P.S do not know if news link changes each week i.e. may change next Thurs.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last edited by Bazza on Thu May 20, 2010 1:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived back in Greymouth latish that evening stayed overnight then next morning attended to
various matters before Dorothy set of on the train to Ch/Ch around 2pm & I set out in the general
direction of home not long after.

It brought a tinge of sadness knowing I was shortly about to leave Westland, for I feel a particular affinity with the
region ... wonderful people who along with the environment have their own special character soh & way
of doing things. Sure the weather can be unpredictable with a lot of rain, but after all cannot expect a rainforest
without rain. The coasters have a saying that " You can always tell when summer has arrived by when the rain warms up"

Just out of Greymouth stopped to pick up a hitch hiker, having recognised the significance of his
rather unusual "get up".

Mathius was a young German guy, a carpenters apprentice as many will be aware from his outfit.

Historically as the final stage of their apprenticeship carpenters in Germany were required to abide
by a strict set of rules such as wearing traditional clothing & travel for three years ... working for short
periods, where ever in return for keep as not allowed to receive payment.

It is no longer mandatory of course, however some such as Mathias opt to carry on the tradition but
as mentioned during this 3 yrs. must adhere strictly to the rules as set down by the guild.
Found it very interesting learning about the many requirements ... which include :-
Must be under 25 ( or was it 30 ) & unmarried. (Bugger)
Must carry basic tools in a traditional kit .
Only allowed to carry very basic other requirements & many modern items we now consider near essential,
such as cell ph or laptops are NOT allowed.

Found our discussion so interesting .. clean forgot about filling up with diesel in Reefton & we continued Nth.
letting him off at the Inangahau junction as he had arranged to meet up with a fellow counterpart at Westport.

Was not until much later, in the middle of nowhere looked down to see fuel gauge was on near empty .... what to do??
The nearest town Murchison was still a long way off .... but where to stop & even if I did would be faced with the same
problem in the morning only probably moreso with the additional cold starting etc. yet if I kept going risked grinding to
a halt in the dark somewhere unsafe! Was also painfully aware of the consequences of running a diesel dry ... namely
the relatively lengthy process to bleed the whole system, so that was an additional consideration. Kept on reviewing the
options which were rapidly decreasing as the kms rolled by painfully slow & the terrain became increasingly hilly, bendy
etc. ... all the things that use more fuel .... Great!!!

Resorted to the very dangerous practice of switching off the motor on the long downhill runs, which often built up speed
to a point it was a worry attempting to moderate it without the benefit of power assisted brakes. However had to stop
doing that when clouds of black exhaust fumes billowed out on one of the restarts & the motor sounded like it was going
to fade, but thankfully the smoke cleared as the motor picked up again. Finally saw the lights of Murchison in the distance
then after what seemed an interminable length of time a gas station that was open ... rolled up beside the pump with motor
off to save the last few drops of fuel for the restart.

Camped that night beside the Mangles river, which I fished the next day landing two or three even tho most of the time
was spent trying to find access. Moved on towards Motueka & fished the river of the same name at various points along
the way.

Upper mid section

The very fertile Motueka valley either side of the river is sporadically lined by many vineyards ...
orchards ... hop growing & even some tobacco along with, no doubt the odd slightly more nefarious
crop.

Kiwifrut growing

Orchards ... apples, pears etc.

Vineyards with bird netting.

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hot day the young guy I was fishing with on the Motueka river dived in the river to cool off & a
while later I decided to strip off & do likewise. When I got out opted to continue fishing in undershorts
rather than put shorts back on whilst still wet. My companion had arrived at 2 am so retired to his tent
to read a book & rest. Not long after a car pulled up & two young ladies came down to the river leaving
me wondering should I put shorts back on or hope they would not notice. My dilemma proved needless
when these very well proportioned & well en-dowered young ladies promptly stripped off then proceeded
to frolic about.
Called to my young friend in his tent there were far more interesting things to look at than reading a book.
On describing what was going on he did not believe me saying I was having him on, but boy did his eyes pop
when he came out to have a look. Was difficult to concentrate on the drift, so removed the fly so as not to lose
concentration.
Stayed on an extra day but sadly they did not return.

This is the pool .... but you will notice pic is taken just before dusk .... as took me that long to gain
complete composure ... both my own & that of the camera!

Late afternoon sans the "liberated" young ladies

Went towards the Nelson Lakes however on the way dropped down to a very enticing camp area
beside the upper Buller river. It soon became obvious the river at this point was badly affected by the dreaded
didymo ... aka "rock snot" & is very distressing to see a hitherto beautiful river in such a state.

The rock snot is the horrible brown gludge on the rocks & white stuff where it is dry. It was unheard of, a decade
or so ago but somehow was introduced .... most likely transported by the contaminated boots of a
visiting overseas angler or suchlike. It was consequently spreading like wildfire as the spores were unwittingly
being carried from river to river by unsuspecting anglers etc. Visually it appears to be slimy but in fact is quite
tough & to the touch, has a kind of rough or abrasive gritty feel to it.

When the water level drops in an affected river the dried didymo turns into stringy white substance that looks
like screeds of discarded toilet paper .... really disgusting.

At present the measures put in place to restrict the spread, seem to be holding the spread at bay & has not been
found in any Nth. Is waters to date.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/media/01-05-08/didymo

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Barry,

Again, many thanks for continuing to compile the report of your "walkabout".

I'd agree it's best that the good lady doesn't see the air travel you had hired for her. as for the hitch hiker ...
I reckon no forward gear would've been high enough to get me away quicker Very Happy .

Had wondered if you would include a pic of didymo - looks exactly as ugly and as devastating as I'd read on the FishnGame Reellife mag. researching my own trip.
Grotty looking stuff.
Do they intend any chemical treatment of infected areas ?.

Tony
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Moray wrote:
Hello Barry,

Again, many thanks for continuing to compile the report of your "walkabout".

I'd agree it's best that the good lady doesn't see the air travel you had hired for her. as for the hitch hiker ...
I reckon no forward gear would've been high enough to get me away quicker Very Happy .

Had wondered if you would include a pic of didymo - looks exactly as ugly and as devastating as I'd read on the FishnGame Reellife mag. researching my own trip.
Grotty looking stuff.
Do they intend any chemical treatment of infected areas ?.

Tony

You raise some very pertinent questions Tony re didymo ....

Only wish is that I could give you some answers but the reality is that your guess would be as good as mine .... as ....
like most governing/regulatory bodies we were swamped with info at first ... it then dwindled & now hardly anything in
the form of updates etc.

Can give you my impressions of where it is at .... but they are only impressions & may lack validity.

We were told a few years back the future for NZ fisheries did not look very bright as didymo was spreading fairly rapidly
& that was when certain measures were introduced such as banning felt soled footwear as felt was identified as a major
risk being a vector for didymo spores, also cleaning stations for gear were established in a few places along with signs at
access points etc.

It struck me even at the time that, if as they were telling us was fact i.e. didymo could be spread by a very minute amount
of spore & even worse it can survive out of water for ages, was only a token gesture that at best might only serve to raise
awareness ... for the regs were only enforceable towards licenced anglers & not other river users e.g. kayakers, rafters,
hunters etc.

As mentioned fortunately it has been confined to the Sth. Is. however on this visit given the scary announcements expected
to see widespread contamination in the rivers. Not saying it is not so to a certain extent but I only came across a few infected
rivers, altho I probably fished at a guess, less than 2 % of the available Sth. Is water, so no doubt there are others.

Was puzzled tho by a couple of observations such as :- Was not intending to include mentioning the next stage of the safari
was fishing the Owen river, not far & right down to where it joins the Buller, but as you have raised the question. The Buller
as shown in the pics is infected yet I did not notice any infection in the Owen. Even more puzzling is around the Reefton area
where a major river may show signs of infection some of its' tributaries might also, then others that are clear. This would
suggest to me that didymo requires certain conditions to flourish, if so then maybe therein lies the answer. Go figure !!!

IMO chemical treatment is not an option as active didymo is mainly subsurface in faster moving water, therefore massive doses
even of chemical would be required & then probably would kill everything, besides would only take a few tiny bits missed for
it to re establish.

Personally I am a firm believer in the powers of nature to combat any threat & hopefully that is what is transpiring at the moment,
as we have seen other threats such as the dreaded netweed that was polluting a couple of lakes. In these lakes netweed contamination grew at an alarming rate to a point iy was looking like they would become unfishable, then for some still unknown
reason it receded & now hardly exists if at all. One interesting thing that happened during the spread was that fish that were caught were found their stomach contained weed & the fish were growing in size with untold trophy fish being taken up to 16 lbs or so.
It was concluded that altho the weed itself had little nutrient it must have been hosting something of high nutrient value.

Cheers mate

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought it would ever happen but must confess at this stage of the trip, was starting to feel rather
"fished out" so opted to have a diversion or two, fancy having the luxury of the option to have a break away
from fishing.

A couple of days later felt ready to get back to it again & decided would focus on getting a flounder which initially was
anticipated would be one of the easiest targets on the wishlist of species ... but so far had proved rather elusive. Much
of the reason was that conditions needed to be right for night spearing eg tides, still dark night & the major factor of
suitable territory. The latter was the main problem as people kept suggesting localities that obviously held heaps of
flounder but were caught netting & so often softish mud made to prospect of walking around in the dark a dicey proposition.
It did not help any either that the underwater light I had purchased was proving at best inadequate & at worst near useless.

Flounder territory

Uh ha ... bad weather on the way ... no flounder spearing tonight.

Stayed at nearby Kina Beach for a couple of days/nights .... was a great place .... was
fortunate to get a spot right next to the beach & therefore able to drag the boat to the
water. Was quite tidal & shallow but fishing either side of high tide resulted in enough
smaller snapper for a couple of meals.

A bonus at low tide is that the mussels were exposed & selectively harvesting the limit
of 50 pp per day did not take long

Tide out ...

Tide almost in ...

Vineyard/winery near to the beach ...

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved on to Nelson where I hoped to find the wrecker that had the secondhand brake cable & if so
someone to fit it. Found the wrecker ... he still had the cable altho it looked a bit suspect, however
the price he wanted was now almost double that which he was going to courier it to Greymouth for.
When this was pointed out, his attitude was "Well where else you going to get one" which peed me
off no end, so told him he could stick it .... which as it happens was to prove to be quite fortuitous.
On asking around was told that Nelson Brake services could probably make one & a phone call confirmed
this so was off to them. They quoted a reasonable price for making/fitting & said as a special favour as
I was on holiday could get it done today ... so I left it with them. They rang to say it was ready & the
cable had been OK but the problem had been the lining on the shoes had come loose in the independent
hand brake drum which operates on the driveshaft. The cost of repair was less than quoted so first class
service from Nelson Brake Services & a BIG thumbs up.

Was time to move on towards Picton to cross over to the Nth. Is on the inter island ferry ... arrived late
afternoon the next day & managed to get a booking on the next sailing. Was just enough time to get laundry
done .... grab a meal, attend to a couple of other things before boarding. Arrived in Wellington about 11pm
& set out in the direction of Wanganui stopping overnight on the way for a few hours kip. Next day fished the
Manawatu river & was absolutely disgusted by the amount of rubbish dumped along side the river. Judging
from the sort of rubbish, old tv, puters, bedding & general household stuff etc. presumably would be locals
responsible, which begs the question why would anyone s**t in their own back yard ... even dogs don't do that.

Spent a couple of enjoyable days in Wanganui & to top it off ....... speared the long hoped for flounder :-

That was breakfast taken care of & have to say it was the nicest flounder I have ever tasted & the person it was
shared with thought the same. Was in prime condition, nice & thick but most of all I think because it had come
from clean estuarine river water with a compact bed ..... well worth the wait. Saw lots more & narrowly missed a
bigger one mainly I reckon due to the crappy inadequate light which did not "hold" them for long. Since arriving back
have purchased a top of the range light giving 400 lumecs ( whatever they are ) upgradable to 600 or more .... so
flounder better watch out here I come. Was taken to some very remote ocean beaches an hour or so drive from
Wanganui .... had heard of the mussels but never found any of takeable size however tide was 1/2 way in. Those
fishing did not appear to be having much luck .... watched a kite drawn line ( must have been a km long with umpteen
hooks ) being winched in to yield a mere .... 1 x large snapper, 1 X largish kawawai, a couple of useless dogfish &
something undentifiable .... would not go far among the dozen or so involved.

The road from Wanganui climb to the central volcanic plateau at National Park & has its own different type of scenery
... such as this "hill billy" landscape ( also lots of fishable rivers that will have to wait for another day )

Forgot to mention the day after arriving in Wellington visited Foxton beac as had not been before .... noticed a guy
gathering pippies ( like a elongated cockle but sweeter tasting ) so grabbed a bucket & collected my limit in short order
.... they were some of the tastiest pippies ever, coming from a clean ocean beach.

The army can be seen in the background conducting beach landing exercises.

Flounder spearing vid clip also link to kite fishing etc. also some good tips on tying vrious knots for braid & suchlike.

http://www.youtube.com/user/paulauckland

They are using a three pronged spear .... I prefer to use a single shaft of 3mm 2205 stainless steel as causes minimal damage.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. apart from a summary to follow this should be the last post in the report.

The central plateau area is home to several volcanoes plus many renowned fishing rivers
& several lakes the largest being Lake Taupo which is larger in area than Singapore. Many
people are not aware that the Lake is also one, if not the, most potentially dangerous volcanoes
in the world. It was formed originally by a volcanic eruption & activity still remains now that it
has filled with water, which if ever breached to the molten core would result in an explosion that
would make Krakatoa seem like a small fire cracker by comparison.

Some of the more well known rivers include :- Whakapapa, Whanganui & those running to the lake
namely Tongariro, Hinemaia, Tauranga Taupo, Waihatanui, Waihaha etc. The rivers flowing into the
lake provide exciting prospects from about Feb thru to Sept. when the trout make their spawning
runs from the lake which they consider to be their "sea". The browns usually begin their run first
a month or so ahead of the rainbows & generally finish earlier.

These rivers are in the shadow of three volcanoes of which Ruapehu is the most visible also popular
with skiers & climbers, has several small thermal crater lakes within its' vicinity.

Ruapehu erupts every so often but has not posed any serious threat since xmas eve 1953 when
an eruption caused the wall of the crater lake to burst sending a lahar flow ( water/mud & rock )
cascading down the mountainside along with uprooted trees, ice, boulders etc. to land in the Whangaehu
river, causing a 6 mtr. wave, not far from the Tangawai rail bridge similar to this one.

This wave was like a tsunami of near solid mass given the density resulting from the heavy concentration
of mud & debris etc. It was the reason it washed out the bridge & the carriages from the train that plummeted
down in to the river semi floated, saving some lives but tragically 151 perished. Up until this time as far as natural
disasters go, earthquakes had claimed the most lives in this country but post 1953 volcanoes took over that very
dubious distinction.

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/kids/nzdisasters/tangiwai.asp

Ruapehu erupting ... such is the power that red hot boulders the size of a small car, can be hurled 1/2 km or so in
the air. I have been there & fished whilst it was erupting ... will give a link to the report at the end of this post.

Crater lakes ... some fans of the "Lord of the rings" movie ( I am not one ) may recognise the locality.

There have been 45 lahar flows since 53 however early warning systems put in place have prevented an further
tragedies. As for earthquakes ... they only occur in localities situated on a fault line .... they include parts of the
Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Nelson & to a lesser extent Westland. Of these Wellington with the highest population is
the area more likely to suffer the most damage but fortunately earthquake resistant building codes in place should
minimise any damage.

Not a very cheery subject to end up on I guess, best wind it up.

For a personal account of fishing during an eruption :-

http://flyanglersonline.com/
Then click on "features"
Then "Worldwide"
Then "Downunder"

Scroll to the bottom of the article that appears to the archive list then choose "Fishing Taupo Streams & Rivers"

Whilst there you may also like to take a peek at "Flyfishing the Northern Territory"

Like all good things that must come to an end ... time to complete the final leg of the trip.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last edited by Bazza on Sat May 22, 2010 9:00 am; edited 6 times in total
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are in your new home Bazz!! Very Happy

Great stuff by the way!

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
Here you are in your new home Bazz!! Very Happy

Great stuff by the way!

Thanks WK (Rich)

Yeah should have been here in the first place ....... but the fact is did not know this sector even existed.

Am surprised no one complained about the thread being under "General" .... just goes to show you Brits
are too polite by far, maybe thinking "Poor old bugger doesn't know any different at his age !"

Only the summary left to post to wind up the thread, will attend to that shortly.

Cheers Barry
wull
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loved your journal Barry, excellent reading!

how much does a safari like this cost in NZ $ if you don't mind me asking Barry.
i seriously would love to do one .
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wull wrote:
loved your journal Barry, excellent reading!

how much does a safari like this cost in NZ $ if you don't mind me asking Barry.
i seriously would love to do one .

I am planning another Wull ... you may like to consider joining in.

Re the cost .... Les & I started to keep record but lost the plot somewhere along the line.

Les was the "minister of finance" & basically we would toss a certain amount in each to cover
food, wine, fuel, gas, or any expenses directly connected to the trip, whenever funds were
running low. Other personal items such as flies, fishing licence or whatever were each individuals
responsibility.

I asked Les the question of how much he thought it had cost him & he thought less than a grand
for the month he was here however am inclined to think it would have been more. So even if
it was 50% more at $1500 each ... divided by 30 days works out about $NZ50 per day each ...
which I reckon is not to bad considering inclused food & drink which would be a normal expense
anyway.

According to the current exchange rate $NZ50 = 23 UK pounds.

Naturally once Les left my costs went up without anyone to share fuel.

Cheers

Last edited by Bazza on Sun May 23, 2010 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. safari now well & truly over ... time to summarise :-

Firstly was totally enjoyable .. even if there were several minor mishaps but they are
only to be expected ... are for me anyway.

Things I might do different next time :-

Maybe go at a different time of year ... perhaps earlier altho main holiday break for
most people is 3 or 4 wks. over xmas so would prefer to avoid that.

Will probably start out in Southland, then work way back which would be the reverse of this time.

Would definitely aim to spend longer at each location & spend less time traveling less ... something
I strongly advise visitors to do in the Sth. Is. but failed to take my own advice

Could consider upgrading M/home but it is basically comfortable & reliable also would really miss
the boat etc. on the back. Being non turbo, it is a bit slow which does not bother me other than am
conscious of holding up other traffic at times. Another downside is lack of power steering ... not a
problem when underway but a struggle when maneuvering in a restricted space, but a plus to
that is developing arm muscles to rival Victor Stallone.

The outboard motor proved a bit tricky at times being direct drive with no neutral gear ....
causing angst when having to stop it to pull up a craypot or suchlike ... trying to keep an eye on the rocks
nearby & with a heavy wave surge hoping like hell it will restart. Fortunately it did, but did find myself one
time out from Haast sitting on a rock in the boat high & dry. Had to quickly tilt the motor to avoid it being
damaged before the next surge washed me off.

Have a brand new 50% more hp motor now, so hopefully those probs sorted.

Will DEFINITELY visit eye specialist to arrange a pair of prescription polaroids as my inability to
spot fish compared to others was a major disadvantage.

Would be nice if Les was able to join in again as we have similar interests & got on well but realise
it is not that easy for him to take an extended break from his taxi business in Cairns. However
really need another person able to help launch the boat etc. ... can manage on my own if need be
but is a struggle & of course it halves the cost.

Must say it was a real pain in the proverbial to be caught up in the Auckland rush hour traffic again
after the solitude grown used to. Auckland has a pop a bit short of 1.5 mill but am sure everyone
single one of them was out driving at that time ... or at least it felt like it. Not a big pop compared to
most cities ( nevertheless more than the entire Sth. Is. ) but the traffic problems can be horrendous
& growing worse each week. The main reason is that it is so narrow, maybe 25 kms at the narrowest
point creating an hour glass effect. Not easy to build more roads as cannot simply skirt around the
built up areas, demolition, arterial or tunnels being the only options. The problem has been compounded
by the fact that the bodies responsible for roading have been more than happy to pocket the increased
revenue from immigration etc. but very reluctant to spend it on the purpose intended.

Hey Les .... one thing you may reconsider is the habit of our taking a dunk in the river to cool off ...
I certainly did after seeing the size of the eels that appeared when washing off fish in the river after
cleaning & burying the guts.

Or at least wear togs .... imagine one of these taking a fancy to an appendage they mistaken took
to be a potential mate!

Take a look at this clip as well .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaN90IIUPY4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Thanks for the help from Chris, Paul & other forum members re sorting any problems I was having. The
glitch that suddenly caused the pics to be mixed up with narrative from other threads ... was a major &
some errors may remain ..... hope there are not too many. When trying to sort the mess could not seem
to slot the pics into where they were previously .... they kept on establishing themselves at the bottom
of the page .... gave up trying to slot them in the appropriate place deciding readers will have to sort what
was what. A positive side to having things go wrong was that I learnedt a lot as a result, something that
never goes amiss on a puter technophobe.

Apologise to anyone that found it too long or tedious ... particularly as not being aware this sector existed
was posting in "General" ... something that WhistleKiller has kindly put right.

I consider I was very lucky to have baby brother Les ( don't they grow upso quickly these days ?) along
on the maiden voyage, as he has done the whole trip right around Aus. consequently has learnt to be very
resourceful ( have to be in many parts up there ) & proved his worth in getting the fridge freezer to work,
re plumbing the sink en route etc.

Time to plan the next safari .... there definitely will be one ... just a question of when.

Learned a lot from this trip ... so reckon will have a better idea next time, where to go, what to do & expect etc.

Cheers Barry

Last edited by Bazza on Mon May 24, 2010 5:48 am; edited 4 times in total
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Bazza. You know, when you get used to a long book everyday and it takes a while to get through and then when you get to the last page it leaves you feeling at a bit of a loose end as to what to do next? Well that's what I feel like now. A truly comprehensive work and well worth sticking with!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 6 of 77

Jump to: