The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

BRFFA Hidden Pairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: BRFFA Hidden Pairs Reply with quote

Could not have wished a better day for a BRFFA get together more than well supported by Wychwood. Pleasantries exchanged and a hearty breakfast from the Transit pick up diner followed by a toast of sloe gin to the fishing gods for our group saw all assembled ready for the briefing and the off. Adge and I set sail for the very top end to begin our day and our sister boat with MarkS and Myles Davies on board headed for a secret location in wood bay :Adge and I struggled to find feeding fish for most of the morning until a pigeon landed on the front of our boat with a message attached to her leg.As Adge read the message I had a take on the lift which turned out to be a nice perch in prime condition.We went on to catch a fish each before lunch with Adge taking his on a hotly pursued daphnia emerger which was finally engulfed in a mighty swirl.My fish fell to a black glue buzzer.
Time flew by too quickly and soon time to head in for bbq lunch as the smoke signals were rising over the Lodge.Out sister boat had fared much better than us with MarkS on a knap hand and Myles with 3.Lunch was great and with everyone in good spirits the flotilla headed out for the afternoon session. Adge and I fished the same area as we had seen a few fish moving and Adge boated another two fish and three to me including a double which without Adge's divine intervention I doubt would have both ended up in the boat.The original fish of the double had taken the buzzer whilst the other had grabbed the daphnia emerger close to the boat.Aboard our sister boat MarkS was sat on his hands as Myles searched for the holy grail of a bag limit but finally had to settle for six with splendid brown on a dry for the grand finale.In summary it proved to be a very even competition and if you found fish they could be caught as several limit bags attested to.MarkS and Myles fish were of a good size with MarkS winning top weight prize.The life in the water seems to come and go with some areas appearing totally lifeless whilst others had sparse sedge and buzzer hatches.Gulls were hawking from time to time mostly on high so something was happening.Spooned fish revealed daphnia and the odd corixa. For me it was a brilliant day with no pressure just the sound of cider being enjoyed and Adge whistling the Captain Pugwash theme from the crows nest Very Happy .Hope to be lucky enough to enjoy more days like this.Many thanks to all those who put the time in to make it all work and a special vote of thanks to young Ranger Jake who was there preparing the full house of boats when I arrived at 7.30am.Afternoon shift young ranger also a godsend helping us all safely back onto terra firm on a bustling jetty.Highlight of the day was observing international flyfisher Richard Wood's boat handling prowess Shock He obviously does not take the tiller too often Laughing Until the next tide.

Best JP
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas it was a blank for me and my boat partner Jim P, despite being given the heads up at lunch time we just could not get anywhere near the fish... The fish were easily spooked and I could not get the hang of spotting fish in the distance and then positioning the boat to intercept them.... By the end of the day I had resorted to chucking out Di3 and stripping it back. This bought me a light tap to a sparkly booby... With 5 minutes of fishing to go I changed to a foam backed orange thing and bang fish on!!!! darn it fish off!!!! it was not to be...
Apologies to Rik,(drunkdiver) who had the misfortune to be paired with me..
Good to get out but tiring day afloat and congats to Mark S who took best bag of the day.. 46 fishing so a great turn out for a great event. Cheers to Jake and Lawrence for their customer services and to the BRFFA for organising stuff.
Ian
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: BRFFA Hidden Pairs Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Could not have wished a better day for a BRFFA get together more than well supported by Wychwood. Pleasantries exchanged and a hearty breakfast from the Transit pick up diner followed by a toast of sloe gin to the fishing gods for our group saw all assembled ready for the briefing and the off. Adge and I set sail for the very top end to begin our day and our sister boat with MarkS and Myles Davies on board headed for a secret location in wood bay :Adge and I struggled to find feeding fish for most of the morning until a pigeon landed on the front of our boat with a message attached to her leg.As Adge read the message I had a take on the lift which turned out to be a nice perch in prime condition.We went on to catch a fish each before lunch with Adge taking his on a hotly pursued daphnia emerger which was finally engulfed in a mighty swirl.My fish fell to a black glue buzzer.
Time flew by too quickly and soon time to head in for bbq lunch as the smoke signals were rising over the Lodge.Out sister boat had fared much better than us with MarkS on a knap hand and Myles with 3.Lunch was great and with everyone in good spirits the flotilla headed out for the afternoon session. Adge and I fished the same area as we had seen a few fish moving and Adge boated another two fish and three to me including a double which without Adge's divine intervention I doubt would have both ended up in the boat.The original fish of the double had taken the buzzer whilst the other had grabbed the daphnia emerger close to the boat.Aboard our sister boat MarkS was sat on his hands as Myles searched for the holy grail of a bag limit but finally had to settle for six with splendid brown on a dry for the grand finale.In summary it proved to be a very even competition and if you found fish they could be caught as several limit bags attested to.MarkS and Myles fish were of a good size with MarkS winning top weight prize.The life in the water seems to come and go with some areas appearing totally lifeless whilst others had sparse sedge and buzzer hatches.Gulls were hawking from time to time mostly on high so something was happening.Spooned fish revealed daphnia and the odd corixa. For me it was a brilliant day with no pressure just the sound of cider being enjoyed and Adge whistling the Captain Pugwash theme from the crows nest Very Happy .Hope to be lucky enough to enjoy more days like this.Many thanks to all those who put the time in to make it all work and a special vote of thanks to young Ranger Jake who was there preparing the full house of boats when I arrived at 7.30am.Afternoon shift young ranger also a godsend helping us all safely back onto terra firm on a bustling jetty.Highlight of the day was observing international flyfisher Richard Wood's boat handling prowess Shock He obviously does not take the tiller too often Laughing Until the next tide.

Best JP

Good report JP.
As a number of folks who visit here and the BW thread will know, Blagdon beat the four of us up big time a few of days ago.

Thanks to JP for the venison sausages and bacon (with rind), MD for the bread and Adge for the 'Gold'...Good start to the day topped off with a 'sloe' sip.

I was worried after talking to Jake 8am it would be another tough day. I did not fish a lot different to the last time. Just added a FAB to the top dropper on the SSI with plain nymphs behind, FO8 and did not change all day as it worked from the off. Fish were more in the mood this week. First two fish were 4lb or close to and made the bag that ended up 21lb;14oz. Did not return any and was home and dry by 4.30. Best fly was the olive thorax glist'n'glo cruncher on a 14. 4x fluro leader. Helped that Dave G told me a friend who, heard it from a friend who, told him it had been fishing better......! Edge of Woods all day to be honest is where the fish came from but the middle of the top end was holding fish.

Credit to my boat partner Myles who stuck to more pure tactics all day on the floater, pulling a nice fish last knockings on a dry as Jon said.

Good day out. Great folks in the BRFFA. Thanks to Cadbury Angling, Wychwood and BW, most of all the BRFFA team.

Any folks not in the BRFFA and in the area should sign up and join in. Great club, lots of very good anglers to learn from and very little pressure in the comps. Winter fly tying starting early Nov. Get along and join in.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by MarkS on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
drunkdiver
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Mark and thanks for the cider. Was struggling on 1 at lunch but a few more ciders and a hectic hour and a half straight after lunch saw 6 more come to the boat in rapid succession. The last one took me another hour or so to get as the little wind there was dissapeared. Was a very enjoyable day with relaxing weather. A floater blobs and boobies were what worked for me. Pulled at speed when the wind the creating a ripple. Lots of bow waves and follows. Great fun. Don't worry about it Ian. Shame you guys didn't catch.
ravageagain
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to echo JP's and Marks thoughts. Another cracking day. Tough fishing, as it should be and if you could crack the code as Mark did, then you got the rewards.
I can honestly say I've been very lucky to meet and now fish with 3 great chaps, who all like to fish the right way, yet still enjoy the crack and a few wets to boot.
A great competition, expertly organized and all concerned should be very proud of themselves. Many thanks to the BRFFA and Bristol Water. Long may it continue.
Regards
Adge
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: