The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

October Pike session on Chew

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: October Pike session on Chew Reply with quote

Due to an upturn in the predator sport, Tony (lakefisher) and I took a boat on Chew yesterday for pike. The weather was foggy and overcast with little or no wind at first, and clarity was the best its been for months at around 8 feet, although that was based on a large white pike fly. Later on the sun broke through but it was still a great day to be afloat. Smile

There was evidence of fry being harried by predators as we left the landing stages so we set up our first drift by the sailing club in the hope of piking up something in the deeper water on the edge of the baitfish shoals. This resulted in a pull for Tony which we suspect might have been from a Trout or Perch but that was it, so we decided to try a few other places away from the armada of boats that had congregated between the landing stages and the trout cages. However we found it difficult to find anything further up the lake, apart from a decent Rainbow off of Stratford's which took my 2/0 Sparkler before shedding the hook after taking me under the boat. Sad

As the day drew towards a close we bowed to the inevitable and took our chances with the armada by the landing stages where Tony landed our only pike of the session. It took the scales down to 8lb ... Very Happy

Me? Apart from the Rainbow I lost early on I couldn't buy a pull, apart from a few tugs towards the end on a big fly which I suspect where from Perch. Looks like I will have to wait until my next dedicated pike trip on Chew to end my run of blanks, which may well be next season now. Sad

Thanks to Tony for being a great boat partner, as always! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: Bovver
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Alan. Cool

'Twas a great day afloat, in the usual good company - fitting end to my season in actually netting a pike, albiet small, as the "trials" apparently start on Monday next.

You obviously decided to spare my blushes by not mentioning my other "catch" from our day - just some resistance on my line - then some weight on the rod - and up to the surface came my catch - a very dead trout Embarassed Headless and partly decomposed Rolling Eyes Never been so embarrassed in my fishing career Embarassed Laughing

Thanks for a great day out Mate - till next time ...... best regards ....... Tony Cool Very Happy
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,
I was fishing a competition on Grafham and my boat partner hooked in to something with about 20 minutes to go at the dam. He told me it was a lump and it was going to be his first fish of the day and would stop him from blanking.
It seemingly put up a fair bit of resistance but it too was a partly decomposed trout.
I couldn't contain myself and laughed about it for the last 20 minutes of the competition Very Happy

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and well done Tony for the two fish haul! I've never caught a dead one before. I have that to look forward to
yarn shooter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your health has improved Tony Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome yarn shooter.
Liked by: Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: