The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Float tube?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic fitzwalter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Float tube? Reply with quote

Come on then boys? Was thinking about shedding out on the Guideline tube. Looks pretty good value with fins and pump etc thrown in. https://www.fishingmegastore.com/guideline-drifter-float-tube~5070.html
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Float tube? Reply with quote

vic fitzwalter wrote:
Come on then boys? Was thinking about shedding out on the Guideline tube. Looks pretty good value with fins and pump etc thrown in. https://www.fishingmegastore.com/guideline-drifter-float-tube~5070.html

Vic, that's very, very expensive for a float tube mate - seriously! I doubt that any of the other tubers on here would disagree.

Bearing in mind that top of the range tubes are usually around the $200.00 -$250.00 mark in the USA you could probably arrange an import of one and save yourself £100 or so. This would be useful as you could then get a decent set of fins (the ones they throw in free are far too short and pretty hopeless to be honest) and some divers' boots with the savings. Trust me, the fins are really important in all this. A foot-pump is only a tenner from Go Outdoors or other camping outlets.

Here's a link to an American company called Outcast who are one of the best known and respected manufacturers of float tubes. I've had one of them for over 13 years now. Their customer after sales service is second to none as well.

Link: Outcast

Call me on the SKB phone number and I'll explain a bit more about it all. Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
drsixty7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the best advice from WK. I recently replaced my first tube with the cheapest option on this link, I'm more than happy with it, the other two options are definite upgrades but as Rich says getting decent fins is as important. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Float+tube
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drsixty7 wrote:
.... I recently replaced my first tube with the cheapest option on this link, I'm more than happy with it .... http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Float+tube

I never thought you could get a decent float tube for as little as £139.99, let alone £75! Shock Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
drsixty7 wrote:
.... I recently replaced my first tube with the cheapest option on this link, I'm more than happy with it .... http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Float+tube

I never thought you could get a decent float tube for as little as £139.99, let alone £75! Shock Cool

Alan Wink

Christmas present to yourself looming Al? Very Happy

vic fitzwalter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, thanks for that Rich and others. Rich I'll be in touch....probably be after Xmas now bearing in mind the Xmas list Ive just been given from my twins Shock Seriously obsessed with getting one though. My good mate has just fished some secluded spots in the Lake District and keeps on sending my pictures of some very good fish he wouldn't have been able to get without a float tube. Not that I'm jealous or anything the b*st*r* Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Liked by: Whistlekiller
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:

Laughing Laughing

The South West is a float tube free zone, Rich. Even if I got one, I'd only be able to use it once or twice a year during Socials. Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Whistlekiller wrote:

Laughing Laughing

The South West is a float tube free zone, Rich. Even if I got one, I'd only be able to use it once or twice a year during Socials. Laughing

Alan Wink

That's good enough Al! Very Happy

Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much better option than a float tube! Laughing Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from Richard and Mick there Vic.
That Guideline is vastly overpriced. Keep an eye on Ebay etc for a second hand one but a branded one like a Snowbee or Fish Cat. Bladders are easily available from both companies. At least that way, if its not for you, then you've not lost out by spending a fortune. But I doubt you'll regret it!
Also, waders need consideration. I use zip front and trust me, when you need a wee and you are in the middle of the lake, a paddle back to shore can take forever once you find you need to go and the zip front saves precious time! Get them from Diver Dave, brilliant service.
Then once you have you stocking foot waders, take them to a dive shop, get a pair of neoprene over shoes and proper fins. You'll need to try them all one with the waders.
Lastly, a lift jacket. Don't get an automatic lift jacket as they can go off! Ask Mick!!!

A float tube is for life, not just for Christmas!
Liked by: vic fitzwalter
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Whistlekiller wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Alan Wink

Hi Alan. You are mistaken. The BFTA regularly have events down the SW.
Blagdon, Kennick, Drift, Wimblehall, Burrator, Roadford, Colliford and Siblyback are all regular events on the BFTA calendar.

Because of the distances involved they are not as well attended as the Midlands and North events but have regulars who attend. I think all these events are arranged by the BFTA but may well be mistaken.

Iain
Liked by: Allrounder
vic fitzwalter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flybysage wrote:
Great advice from Richard and Mick there Vic.
That Guideline is vastly overpriced. Keep an eye on Ebay etc for a second hand one but a branded one like a Snowbee or Fish Cat. Bladders are easily available from both companies. At least that way, if its not for you, then you've not lost out by spending a fortune. But I doubt you'll regret it!
Also, waders need consideration. I use zip front and trust me, when you need a wee and you are in the middle of the lake, a paddle back to shore can take forever once you find you need to go and the zip front saves precious time! Get them from Diver Dave, brilliant service.
Then once you have you stocking foot waders, take them to a dive shop, get a pair of neoprene over shoes and proper fins. You'll need to try them all one with the waders.
Lastly, a lift jacket. Don't get an automatic lift jacket as they can go off! Ask Mick!!!

A float tube is for life, not just for Christmas!

Much thanks for the advice Nige, duly noted Wink
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montanajoe wrote:
Allrounder wrote:
Whistlekiller wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Alan Wink

Hi Alan. You are mistaken. The BFTA regularly have events down the SW.
Blagdon, Kennick, Drift, Wimblehall, Burrator, Roadford, Colliford and Siblyback are all regular events on the BFTA calendar.

Because of the distances involved they are not as well attended as the Midlands and North events but have regulars who attend. I think all these events are arranged by the BFTA but may well be mistaken.

Iain

You are of course correct and I recall observing one such gathering at the Top End of Blagdon a few years back. What I should have said is that I don't know of any venues down here where you can just turn up when you want and float tube like you can at Ladybower, Elinor and Thornton etc. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
You are of course correct and I recall observing one such gathering at the Top End of Blagdon a few years back. What I should have said is that I don't know of any venues down here where you can just turn up when you want and float tube like you can at Ladybower, Elinor and Thornton etc. Smile

Alan Wink

It's a sad fact of angling life that absolutely anybody can turn up at a trout fishery and hire a boat with a petrol engine without any prior experience whatsoever. This has always amazed me, particularly having seen several incidents caused by inexperienced boat anglers where serious injury (or worse) to others has only just been avoided.

Fisheries that allows this but then turn round and state that float tubes (which are virtually incapable of causing damage to themselves and certainly not to others) are banned claiming their insurance doesn't cover them, need to ask themselves just how ridiculous this stance is....... Rolling Eyes

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

Alan Wink

Hi Alan
I don't think Bristol Water allows float tubing but I'm pretty sure some of the SW waters allow it on a day ticket basis but not sure which.

Iain
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: