The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, although I haven't been a member of the BRFFA for quite a number of years, there's a small chance I maybe able to get there. is that okay ?
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: How hard can it be...? Reply with quote

Very well said, Tim!

McFly
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
Tim, although I haven't been a member of the BRFFA for quite a number of years, there's a small chance I maybe able to get there. is that okay ?

That's fine John.....While the forum has been offered in response to BRFFA member questions, this is open to all trout Anglers.
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, When I moved to Bristol in 1974 I joined the BRFFA & within 2 or 3 years I was elected to the committee, That's in the days when membership was 400+.

Then after a 3 years or so I started the local branch of the FDG & didn't have enough time to do both.
So I became an ordinary member for a few more years, & started to get various health issues initially with my mother who passed away in 92, then myself in 07 & these have & are continuing ever since & are not likely to improve much in the foreseeable future.

I don't know how many season ticket holders &/or local regular users of BWW's there are now, compared to the days when I got involved, but there's lots of reasons why the numbers have reduced, the same applies to the FDG b.t.w. Have any members of the local tackle dealers been invited or offered flyers to promote this ( I am unable to walk to Veals, whilst the building works are being carried out, as my remaining leg is in plaster & will be for at least another month.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Limpet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add (assuming this thread is still open on the 2016 page) as I cannot attend the meeting.
1. Many of the return boxes spread around the lake are either not there anymore, hidden, or have fallen into despair. I always used to use them as I left the fishery as they were strategically placed by gates. If you do it at the time you are less likely to forget. The one at the bottom end of Blagdon s now a Robin's nest and most others are in a state of disrepair.
2. Can I suggest BW draw a monthly free ticket from returns put into company boxes or returned by post? Wouldn't cost them lot but would I suspect encourage returns.
On an unrelated note - the shelters on Blagdon are a Health and Safety hazard and should be replaced.
Liked by: blondie
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a weekly draw from returns submitted for a free boat.....Discontinued 2 or 3 years ago if my memeory serves me correctly. Even a monthly draw would be a welcome addition....
Mallard
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appleman wrote:
There used to be a weekly draw from returns submitted for a free boat.....Discontinued 2 or 3 years ago if my memeory serves me correctly. Even a monthly draw would be a welcome addition....

BW discontinued them as they saw it as a needless draw/waste of £s - now they are raising the lack of returns issue!
The return boxes nearly all need replacing also as stated by Limpet.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limpet wrote:
Just to add (assuming this thread is still open on the 2016 page)....

If it makes more sense to comment on a previous discussion here then by all means do so. The new thread will grow its own legs as new topics are posted there. Very Happy

I was fortunate enough to win a free boat during the season when the draw last operated so naturally I would be in favour of reintroducing this incentive to increase the number of return cards! Laughing

However it won't cure the problem on its own and and needs to be part of a wider strategy. Exactly where does the issue lie? Is day ticket bank fishers or season ticket anglers? Boat fishers? Is there a rise in missing permits before big matches? Is it regular/local anglers or those from further afield? What do customers think?

Once you have a handle on the issue an appropriate response should be introduced asap..

Personally I'm with Tim (Appleman). BWF should be all over this. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello! Smile
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csfcodhunter wrote:
Appleman wrote:

BW discontinued them as they saw it as a needless draw/waste of £s - now they are raising the lack of returns issue!
The return boxes nearly all need replacing also as stated by Limpet.

There seems to be a trait of cutting costs that incur greater costs than the original saving...?!
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you Alan I also won a free boat session back in the mists of time. Smile

Pleased to note a healthy dose of cynicism Tim or is that frustration Laughing Laughing

2 months post hip replacement and walking at least a mile a day so hopefully I will feel confident in the not to distant future to clamber aboard a boat.

Cheers

Doug
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cynicism Doug, just an accurate statement of the facts! Stripping costs to the detriment of a business is loonacy.....It's akin to slashing marking budgets then moaning sales are falling through the floor. Poking yourself in the eye then bemoaning the discomfort.

Anyway, enough of that.....Happy New Year and I'm pleased to hear your hip / mobility is on the up...ATB
Liked by: tenet
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post all future discussion in the 2017 thread that Alan was kind enough to start.

This thread is locked. Wink

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64
Page 64 of 64

Jump to: