The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Farmoor pike

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Farmoor pike Reply with quote

Have a look at the Farmoor website. 36lb 5oz pike. THAT is one superb looking fish!
Liked by: blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a fine specimen - let's hope your right in that they don't successfully spawn in concrete bowls. Sad
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine specimen indeed. Very Happy

When Ian (bovver) and I fished there a few weeks ago we both got bitten off by pike. If it was that one it would have put a bend in our #7 weights! Shock Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember many years ago fishing off the dam at Grafham. There were two guys out in a boat not far out and one of them hooked a large fish which turned out to be a 30lb+ pike which he successfully played and brought to the boat for his partner to net.

On a calm morning and over water, voices carry clearly a long way and I heard the designated netsman say "If you're thinking of bringing that f*cking thing in here, I'm f*cking getting out!"

I sat on the dam and nearly wet myself laughing. Eventually the fish was boated and the two sped off to the lodge where it was weighed.

tenet,

The Farmoors have been there since the 1970's and it is only the last few years that pike have shown up in any sort of numbers. The water is pumped in from the Thames and I'm sure tiny pike have entered by that means, but the lack of the sort of small food items they need plus in latter times the lack of cover for them to hide from their elders has kept recruitment to a minimum.

If the Farmoors DO start to produce more big pike it will be to the benefit of the trout anglers in terms of revenue for TW, and it's revenue that makes their wheels go round.

Don't forget that pike are very inefficient predators when they get to that size. A 2lb stockie will keep that lady happy for more then a week, plus there are perch, roach and bream for her to choose from.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big fish, caught by one of the wardens I do believe.
I had never seen a pike in either Farmoor bowl until they were stocked and I had never been bitten off by one.
According to one of the wardens I spoke to last year the mortality rate of the stocked pike is high, the perch on the other hand are home grown, big and elusive.

I only fished it once at the end of last year with the lure rod and blanked on that occasion, apparently the 26lb fish I had out of number one has died Sad
Ff

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: