The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Solo Chew hunt 13th June 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Solo Chew hunt 13th June 2017 Reply with quote

With a load of newly tied wiggle tail flies to play with, I was very much looking forward to giving them a test swim yesterday. The forecast being 6-9mph Westerly with overcast skies Very Happy
Got afloat by 8.30 and headed for one of my usual playgrounds off the Morton Hide. Tackled up with my SBK 10#, Guideline 3-1 line and a silver wiggler. A dozen or so casts later I was followed in by an inquisitive girl of around 15 pounds, but couldn't induce a take. Looking good so far Cool Water conditions were good, five feet of visibility with an obvious green tinge and a temp of 19 degrees.

A few casts later and a solid hit produced the first of the day - no bigger than 6 pounds, but was happy to get the rod bent Laughing Quick shot coming in and swiftly unhooked still in the water, nicked firmly in the scissors but easily turned out using the glove pliers attached to my vest.

Four more of a very similar size came in the next two hours, then around 11.30 the cloud broke, the breeze died - and the takes and follows ceased - so much for the forecast Rolling Eyes

Had a quick tour of the lake seeking Crocs happy to play, but none found - only huge weed-beds in, according to my Humminbird, water that was 12 to 13 foot deep Shock Amazing how far the weed growing off Nunnery Spit goes out into the body of the lake - be aware if crossing it - easy to foul the prop, but a quick burst of "reverse" should clear it Wink
This picture was taken with my sounder reading 13 feet deep - and that's with the transducer already a foot below the surface - so actual depth was 14 feet - Weed can be seen at around a foot down. Silver wiggler shows up quite well.

What breeze there was, came from various directions and much later in the day, I was making use of a zephyr from the north, in the middle of Wick/Morton when after counting down my cast - my first retrieval pull wouldn't move. Thought I'd hooked the bottom - until "the bottom" took off at a rate of knots, peeling off my reel the remaining flyline and a chunk of backing as well. Savagely applied side strain, with my SKB bent into a half circle and the corks flexing, managed to turn her - Definitely a "Her" - I've had previous pike to 28 pounds and never felt so much power and weight through my rod Shock Winding furiously, I managed to get half my flyline on the reel when everything stopped - Rod still giving maximum pressure - She was going nowhere - then I felt a tremendous thrash from her - and all went slack. Embarassed Fortunately, when my retrieve was complete, I still had my silver wiggler on the end. So I hadn't been snapped - she had apparently simply dislodged my hook with her thrashing whilst facing me - I detest leaving a hook in my quarry - hence my very strong leader set up. This one was the most powerful pike I have ever felt. Credit to SKB - your 10# rod is up to the job Cool

Tried over the same area for another hour with nothing to show for my efforts - I was desperate to get in contact again - But wasn't to be Rolling Eyes
Gave up dispondantly around 3.30, sweating like fury from the sun which had given my hands and face a tan I hadn't started with Laughing

Having "marked" on my Humminbird where the take from the "big Girl" happened - I'll be back Wink ........ Tony

Last edited by lakefisher on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: tenet, BristolFlyer, blondie, Whistlekiller, Allrounder, Officer Clipboard
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Tony Very Happy.If theres any justice,im sure a "big madam" will come your way soon mate Cool.I hope I'm there to share it with you Very Happy Glad the wiggle tails have done there buisness Cool.Best regards.Steve Smile
Liked by: lakefisher
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're getting closer and closer to beating your PB, Tony. Very Happy

Sounds like a great session. Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: