The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Handling Pike

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Handling Pike Reply with quote

I've just watched a video of the capture of a 30lb plus pike at Chew - the guy then proceeds to take measurements then holds it up for the camera then reverses the beastie to take more pictures all in all the clip lasts well over 2 minutes and still the fish hasn't been returned. Sad Is this the norm??? Sad
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have considered 2 mins at the upper end of excessive. Time goes pretty fast when you have a large fish on board and you don't always realise how much has gone by. Thirty seconds if have thought enough time to place on mat in the net and unhook. Back in to the water to recover whilst camera gear and weigh sling are prepared. Back on the boat, 30 secs for a few snaps probably ample?

Watched a guy last year hold a 3lb plus perch by its lips whilst his mate took about 2 mins to get a camera ready, and then emptied a dry Hessian bag full of food out, then put the fish in the dry bag, weighed it, then had pictures, then it just got emptied out the bag back from waist height! Generally people who have fish out for that length of time are totally oblivious they are doing it, or that it's an issue.

Last edited by trout on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: tenet, fossil-fish, Allrounder, lakefisher, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good post and advice there, Laurence. Cool

I wouldn't say it's the norm Doug, but some of the more fanatical pikers like to keep records of fish caught so they can identify recaptures and growth rates etc. They take pics of both flanks to cut down the possibility of mistaken identity as individual fish can be identified by their markings. It hasn't quite got to the level of giving individual pike a name like in the Carp world but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next development. Rolling Eyes I sincerely hope not. Sad

One bit of advice I read somewhere was attributed to the skipper of a blue water sportfish boat ... 'don't keep a fish out of water for longer than you can hold your own breath'.

Good advice I think. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: trout, lakefisher, blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see the offending video look thru this link for 12th October. Disgusting in my opinion.

https://m.facebook.com/AnglingAdventuresLtd/

edit - this bloke is a professional guide which makes it all the more disgusting. Surprised that CV allow such competition which surely undermines JH and to a certain extent MC.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that some people on FB have also picked up on the handling of the very large Brownies by Pikers. Big pike seem able to cope with being chinned carefully avoiding contact with the gill filaments but I'm not sure that also applies to big trout. Sad

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clip starts with the fish already out of the water and being unhooked. 2 minutes and 23 seconds later it appears that it is just being turned round to allow the process of photographing the second side to begin. Photographing the first side seemed a lengthy enough process. The fish is out of the water for what must be, at the very least, 3 minutes possibly longer. There is an exact weight given in ounces but the clip doesn't show it being weighed. That must have taken even more time.

The fish is not mishandled in anyway and the angler holds it confidently and properly. It is a very special fish and if I had caught it I would want the photographs to be taken very carefully and may well have spent a little more time ensuring they were done right and that the weight was recorded accurately. However I do think 3 minutes plus is far to long for any fish to be out of the water. The tape measure business seemed to take up an awful long time and I am not sure what that was all about when the fish was also going to be weighed.

Only my opinion, but I think the second best option here would have been to rest the fish in the net between each part of the process, unhooking, weighing and photographing. Best option, in my opinion, would have been to unhook and weigh directly. Quick photograph as it was lifted from the sling and as it was returned. The second angler in the boat appears at no time assists with any of the process and you definitely get the impression that the video recording was much more important than the welfare of the fish. Still not sure what this tape measure business is all about.

It is difficult to be critical because it is an amazing fish and anyone catching it would want that once in a lifetime special record. But surely even to the 2 guys involved it must have seemed like an incredibly long time.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie, lakefisher, trout
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously embarrassed as the video clip has been lifted. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: