The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Midge Tip Lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Midge Tip Lines Reply with quote

Are they worth having over a full floater or an intermediate ?
Just looked on Fishtec, the cheap ones are sold out but £60 plus for the Rio lines GULP .
Cheers
Ff

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - have a look at SKB or Barrio.

http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=114_120

https://www.flylineshop.com/shop.html#!/Barrio-Mallard-Sink-Tip-Fly-Lines/p/57955119/category=12258499

Both provide very good value at a realistic price.

Cheers
Liked by: Whistlekiller
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: midge-tip Reply with quote

Hello Peter

Have you asked yourself why you might ''need'' a midge tip line ?How you see yourself using it ?.Last thing you need is a once in a blue moon line.To be fair most of the chaps I know who luv them are boat fishers and on a ''brisk drift'' they will bed the cast into the zone quicker than a standard rig.From the reservoir bank on the swing it will aid presentation and can mend the surface line to control the speed same can apply sea trout fishing.On the reservoir this kind of presentation can be achieved in other more pocket friendly ways leaving you free to buy a ''Hover'' Shock Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Idea.Please if you can keep cost out of the equation.Some lines just fish better than others and granted not always the higher budget lines.My favourite ''buzzer'' line when I use it actually came from a little company from South Devon ma dear.Some time ago.Still good.Does not get wet maybe as often as it should.Some professionals I know swear by the line you mention and they are not endorsees of the company.End of the day it is a line for the upper layers on the reservoir as in the washing line or pulling flies high in the water.Good luck whatever the decision is.As a quick example I have a friend who swears by his ''expensive''midge tip and he does catch fish with it.Often in very light conditions and straight line static nymphing so go figure.Do not need midge tip to fish this way but because he catches it is down to the line Laughing

Best. JP
Liked by: Fryfishing
cornish stalker
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi fryfishing i have a rio midge tip used twice didnt like it. will let it go it has been on spool for couple of years
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I use a Rio Midgetip, though not as often as perhaps I should. It's a good line which I like a lot. Memo to self: Use that blo*dy midgetip more often at Farmoor.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that with 3 flies on a fluorocarbon leader the tip of the fly line gets pulled under any way. I also owned a Rio midge tip at one time and never got on with it all. They seem to be a bit of a Marmite fly line. If I really felt I needed one the SKB Ultra Max would be my first port of call.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say Thank You for the comments.

Alan gave me a quick demo of the midge tip at Blagdon yesterday and recommended the SKB ( more bangs to the buck than the Rio)
I am not sure I need one, as mentioned above by Fossil Fish my Cortland tip sinks down quite happily with floro and 3 flies.
Although washing line tactics may have a different effect on the Cortland Confused

Cheers
P

Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered polyleaders as an alternative?
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:
Have you considered polyleaders as an alternative?

I was led to believe they are a pig to cast Laughing

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing, I've used & use them without any major casting issues. Maybe those that found them "A pig" were trying to use a heavy gauge leader on a floating line, causing the tip to overbalance the line's ability to turn over - albeit a bit like the early sink-tips were prone to doing.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: