The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Barrow tactics for september!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Barrow tactics for september! Reply with quote

Hi
Im a newbee to this forum and fly fishing, i have had 6 or 7 trips to the tanks and have caught a few on lures well to be more accurate 4 fish in all and everyone on a viva.I fished last week and had a blank it was a saturday morning and i was the only one there until 8.30 when 2 more anglers arrived on number three which tells me it may not be fishing great. however now we are into september i was wondering what you guys thought would be the best tactics to use times of day etc any info will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers mike
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to the Forum, Swampydick. Cool

According to many reports, the Bristol Waters have not fished well over the last couple of weeks but now September is here I think you will see things change for the better.

I'm not a Barrows regular by any means but when I have fished there I have found that Boobies can be successful if you want to pull lures although small buzzers fished slowly or suspended under a bung and dry flies can be more effective. You could even try the Mouse on a fast sinker! Laughing

I'm sure that once some of the Barrows regulars like MarkS and Blondie have seen your post they will be only to pleased to offer you advice too. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrow tactics for september! Reply with quote

swampydick wrote:
Hi
Im a newbee to this forum and fly fishing, i have had 6 or 7 trips to the tanks and have caught a few on lures well to be more accurate 4 fish in all and everyone on a viva.I fished last week and had a blank it was a saturday morning and i was the only one there until 8.30 when 2 more anglers arrived on number three which tells me it may not be fishing great. however now we are into september i was wondering what you guys thought would be the best tactics to use times of day etc any info will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers mike

Hi swampydick welcome to the forum.

As well as the advice you have received you could ask Arkle I believe he gets down that way once in a while.

Cool
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr Swampydick
Maybe you can get a cream for that Laughing
I have only had the pleasure of fishing the Tanks a few times during this June but it is very similar to fishing Farmoor where I am a regular.
We really liked the Tanks and it was the first time I had come across the Mouse fishing, it is all bobbies up our way.
I am no expert but I would suggest you try nymph fishing on a floating line.
Try two flies something like hairs ear (12) on the point and a black buzzer (12 or 14) on the dropper, I always start with a nylon leader and fish the two flies as slowly as possible.
If after say an hour if you have seen no fish moving at the surface and had no fish or knocks, change the point fly to a gold head or weighted fly.
If after an other hour still no knocks or fish change to Fluorocarbon leader and an unweighted fly on the point again if no luck change the point back to the weighted fly and carry on fishing.
I find that it pays to keep on the move and I do this by making around four cast and move a few steps, if you are cramped by other anglers just move back to where you started.
These tricks work for me most of the time at Farmoor, I do not catch as many fish some days as the booby boys but I have more fun.
Let me know how you get on and if the cream works.
Fryfishing
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there & great to see another new member to to forum.

I'm afraid that I haven't fished the "Tank's" in recent years, but many of the regulars there use very small black or dark claret buzzers with great effect. In my club, the Bristol branch of the Fly Dressers Guild, we have some guys who get to fish the tanks & other local waters. There are several "all water" season ticket holders amongst them so you can be sure that you'll get up to date info from them.

We meet fairly near to the tanks at Redhill Social club, most Wednesday evenings; if you'd like to come along we'd be more than pleased to meet you.

If you p.m. me your details together with a landline number I'd be happy to help with further details for you.

All the best

John
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for all the replys I am going to have a bash this week so i will report back on how i get on.
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanks are a bit of an enigma to me. I still haven't caught on 3 but seem to be able to catch on 1 and 2. MarkS does well there. I'm sure he will be along shortly.

My best advice would be to head to Blagdon instead - its chock full of obliging fish at the moment! Very Happy
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then SD,
Will tell you what works for me but I have not been on the tanks for a while.

Booby or mouse off a sinking line static or inched back. Not my type of fishing so I seldom would use that tactic. But it works, there is no denying that.

My preference and starting set up is a floater and as long a leader as you can handle.
I will use an SSI at times also.
Small slim dressed flies on the droppers, gold head buzzer or tadpole on the point. Small black or olive buzzers (14's and 16's) go well, fish static or round the breeze, 'Cove style'. Diawls again small, 14's dressed as per the origional with a red fluro head and slim. Shop bought not as good. When you tie them, use one strand or herl, before you wrap it varnish the under body, then wrap. When tied off, smooth the fibers into the body, then rib. Also worth a go on the point is standard diawl on a sz 10 but with a hares mask body as opposed to herl. They take this as hoglice I think and often just at your feet. Don't forget PTN's.
I hear, but have no proof, that blood worms have been worth a go deep this year to.

If there are fish showing on the top, bob's bits in reds, fire browns and claret. Also shuttlecocks. Sedges worth a go to.

As Fryfishing says, try the different depths, then keep on the move. often found that a move even jut a 100m can make a big difference.

As BristolFlyer said, if you are out, think about getting to Blagdon. Looks to be on form at the moment.

Best of luck mate, let us know how you go.
Cheers,
Mark
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks again for all the replys its given me lots of ideas, i had a bash on wednesday morning but with no luck when i got there at 7.30 i headed for number 1. There was the odd fish showing i tried most things but not a sniff, i took comfort in the fact that whilst i was there nobody else had any luck either. I think the advise to get over to blagdon was good however because i have only fished the tanks before ive no waders think i may have to go shopping. As i was fishing i was wondering where the water from the tanks comes from and why its so full?

cheers swampy
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine fished Blagdon on Weds. from a boat & said it was dire as algae had coloured up the water overnight. It was almost as if someone had thrown a switch. None of the boats, when he got in - early evening - had more than 2 fish, most blanked & a few had 1. There were some very experienced guys there that day as well.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get despondent, it has been a tough year for trout fishing.
When we came down there in June we had bright sunshine which killed the fishing during the day. We fished Blagdon and Chew in the evenings and struggled to catch any fish.
But the tactics i described earlier caught us fish at the tanks.
It pays to watch the people who are catching fish and ask for advice, most will be only to willing to help out.
Fryfishing
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing is right. I have found that the lads that fish the tanks are the most willing to share information of all the Bristol waters.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was wondering if you have made any head way at the Tanks.
We are planning another weeks holiday down to Somerset, Blagdon Chew in May next year.
Tight lines
Fryfishing.
Sihajinna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just hoping the more people who know the higher the chance one may pop up

sbobetonline
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: