The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

WF5 line for new rod

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: WF5 line for new rod Reply with quote

Dear All,

Despite not doing much trouting recently I do love a bargain so when I spotted John Norris was knocking out Guidline Fario CRS at 1/3rd price, read a few reviews, felt sorry for myself and convinced that there was a gap in my rod collection I picked up a 9' 5wt 4 peice. It arrived recently and looks great but I really need a new line for it. I mostly have Pitsford Pirate / SKB lines from a few years ago and was wondering if anybody is famillir with the rod and how it loads and would these be a good choice? I havent had a chance to play with it yet as I am working in Italy for a short while.

I hope it will prove quite versatile so i can use it on small stillwaters, Dartmoor reserviors (possibly while out walking as its nice and light to carry, any recomendations for S dartmoor?) or on some rivers should i get the chance again. Probably mainly dries and nymphs as I can use other rods for heavier damsels etc.

Cheers
Roger
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKB are good conventional lines but do have a look at Barrio SLX. Sort of triangular taper line but roll casts, overhead casts and shoots a long way with minimal false casts. Best suited IMO to fast casting stroke. Best of all not silly money.
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestion Tenet. I have had a good read around and that probably looks like a good option. I also notice the GT90 might also be worth a try as I expect stillwaters will dominate my fishing so probably fewer roll style casts - have you tried these as well?
VGB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GT90 is a cut back version of the GT125 that is designed for distance casters. It has a long head at about 73ft, so provided you can carry a long line it is easy to get good presentation at distance. It’s a good fishing line for the sort of flies you mentioned. I can’t help you with your reservoirs question but I have fished some of the Dartmoor streams and the Avon in South Devon, it’s a great area for fishing.

Regards

Vince
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm thanks for that VGB. I am tempted by the SLX as that sounds quite different to what i have had previously and would work well to avoid feeding the trees. While I am not a bad caster I do find my infrequent sessions means i am quite rusty when i do get the fly rod out. Last few years i have taken up lure fishing in the sea which is my go to fishing activity, but perhaps i ought to also do more on the fly....I do quite often end up trying to cast as far as possible.
I think i'll have a look at some of my lines and see what wear n tear they have and justify upgrades for the new season. Might get one of each 5wt and have a look at my sw kit....
VGB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Rob, I have the SLX as well, it is an excellent line that is very good for roll and Spey casts. The only thing to be wary of is carrying too much line, the colour change is a great guide.

Regards

Vince
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did order a SLX which i was keen to try out so had a short day at Tavistock trout fishery last weekend. New rod, line and water plus quite rusty casting was always likely to be challenging.

Rod was lovely, although im not convinced the recoil stripping guides are as friction free as lined rings. Line was certainly different with its short fat head but i got on OK, nice to roll and pickup for a quick cast. However on one such attempt, combined with a change of direction saw the leader cross the head and slice halfway through the line Evil or Very Mad. Think it didnt touch the braid but i was so annoyed i havent looked too closely Embarassed. Anybody know if lines can be re-welded back together?

First time at Tavistock, and I chose it based on some old threads by MikeH and mates. Its quite twee with several lakes/ponds with clear but brown stained Dartmoor water. I asked what was working and was told damsels, but as I could see rising fish I went with some small hares ears / spiders just subsurface or off the top. Rose plenty, caught 7 on a 4 fish ticket but three were 10Oz escapees that didnt count. Biggest was 3 1/2lb and the rest well over 2lb so a good day. The fish all fought exceptionally well and were in great condition, tasted good too. Only managed to hook one tree so the SLX helps there as I was casting from some enclosed banks often.

Cheers

Roger
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogB wrote:
Embarassed. Anybody know if lines can be re-welded back together?

Cheers

Roger

Yes they can - using transparent heat shrink tubing and a source of heat - hot air gun best, but you can use just a candle (very carefully Wink )

See these links for more info
https://www.google.com/search?q=heat+welding+a+damaged+flyline&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Sz22LFASo

I have used this method, not just to repair lines, but even to make my own shooting heads for Pike Fly fishing Wink

HTH ....... Tony
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony,

I should be able to manage that!

Roger
Liked by: lakefisher
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger, not quite sure how a leader could slice a fly line but I would give Mike Barrio a call before you take any drastic action - he maybe in a position to help you out. He is a good guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: