The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (bovver) and I shared an afternoon boat on Chew yesterday. The conditions looked very promising with an overcast sky and light breeze and after discussing our prospects with Tony lakefisher, who had been out piking, we decided to begin in Stratford. Tony had a big rainbow to a pike fly and reported fish nymphing but unfortunately it was very quiet when we arrived and despite a long drift we never had any interest or saw anything move. After that we elected to fish Herons where we found a couple of boats but our first drift proved fruitless and so I was ready to move again. Fortunately Ian had more sense and persuaded me to give it more time after he spotted one of the boats taking a fish. Slowly but surely more fish showed on top as the evening wore on and I lost two fish on the washing line before I avoided a blank with a nice stocky on a Red DB. Green seems to be doing the business at the moment but I wouldn't be without a Red DB somewhere on my cast. Smile

We both spent plenty of time on dries but Ian was the only one who had any interest shown although it came short. The fish seemed very boat shy and skirted wide around the boat as we drifted toward them, making them very hard to cover and I had nothing come to my flies blind.

Although there was still the odd fish showing, as the evening wore on it happened less often so I got itchy feet again Embarassed and persuaded Ian to try off the end of Nunnery and then down in Villice where we only got one pull between us, and that resulted in a well deserved fish for Ian...

Back at the jetty, the word was that although people had caught, it was a little harder than of late with most reporting that the fish seemed very boat shy so at least it wasn't just us. It was really good to share a boat with Ian again and I can say without fear of contradiction that this half of the Blank Brothers only avoided a blank this time thanks to him! Laughing

Until next time....

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, blondie, Noob, montanajoe, mc07fly
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as usual Alan. He did forget to mention that my fish was partly due to fact i had cast out and then put my rod down to search for a bag of crisps!!! both Alan and myself saw my line shoot out at a rate of knots and i pick it up in time to connect. i may have had different result if i had tight line as the take was fast and hard so count my self lucky.
Liked by: Allrounder
dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw plenty of these chaps at Woodford this evening

Liked by: lakefisher
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these beasties, pictured above by Dipper, Mayfly, Lake Olives or Pond Olives ??

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the differences is not extensive Embarassed Perhaps someone with the required knowledge could inform us Wink

Cheers .... Tony Cool
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful mayfly. They are certainly out and about.

Don't know what the small insect is in the second photo.

Cool
Liked by: lakefisher
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pics Geoff. I wonder if BW are aware of this? Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alan ,I must of seen 20 + fluttering around in 10 mins
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Chew Monday 4th June Reply with quote

Great seeing the Mays on Chew.Well we did not empty the lake but Ray and I did have some fun afloat on Chew yesterday despite early misgivings because in spite of near ideal conditions very little life in the water.Virtually no birds hawking apart from the odd swallow fly by.We started near the dam straight nymphing and had a couple of stab takes.Another solo fly fisher boat arrived and pulled straight in front of us on our drift without by nor leave.Ray was not happy but I said just chill out there is no point starting the day with a war so we left for pastures new.Should have clocked the boat number but hindsight a wonderful thing as usual.Angler must have been desperate to home in on fish podded up close in.He did take one fish before we departed.En route across open water we moved some fish so obviously high in the water.Had a couple of drifts but just a few very tentative stab takes to show.Moved on and found some fish showing and really began our day sometimes under the watchful eye of our own Master Po of the reservoir dry fly one Martin Cottis which was quite daunting.First noticed this chap in the boat pointing out fish moving to the man on the rod and then guessed who it was.We passed the time of day and Martin said they had a fish and a few misses couple of losses.Shipped the drogue and began in earnest.Not long before I had a Chew first and yes I really did see the spool of my reel through the braid backing.Huge swirl around my cast and I lifted into a fish which jumped on hook up like a sea trout with its tail fanning the air.What followed was unprecedented as the line took off at a rate of knots and onto my old Snowbee reel now singing a merry tune.Then it slowed but then took off again.I looked down at the reel as the fly line had already gone out.Tried to palm the spool and seared a finger on the braid backing.Just as I was about to fire the motor to give pursuit whatever it was on the other end stopped way out and was rolling on the surface.Not familiar with using the reel on trout I turned it overhead so I could lay the incoming line back on easier.For me anyway.Then we realised there were two.Finally in the net lay a beautiful full monty rainbow trout of a good 3lbs having taken the Midas on the point.The other had opened the hook on the bobs bits and pulled free close to the boat.Martin went for a scout around and returned saying nothing moving elsewhere so we stayed put in the area we were fishing as fish continued to show.I spooned a couple of fish and just tiny olive type nymphs plus daphnia so it would appear they were taking virtually impossible to imitate food but if a ''meat pie'' came into the window they could make a mistake but it proved to be not often.We had 8 very fit rainbows to the the boat and a good number of close encounters.Some closer than others Laughing. I was packed up and close of play came when Ray now fishing just a single fly stung a Polaris rainbow which left a great hole in the water and him shaking his head Crying or Very sad and putting his rod away until the next time.Thank you Mother Chew.

Best JP Cool

Last edited by JCP on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly, blondie, Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Jon - suffering up here in Costa del Caithness on the Thurso with the river showing it's bones. More sun tomorrow so a day touring. NIGHTMARE Twisted Evil
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had the exact opposite of Mike R. & self (yesterday) with only the very slightest soft- 2"stab under one of the "boils".
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had a few evening and early morning sessions on the tanks lately for the grand total of 1 fish. Still very enjoyable. I had two big brownies feeding off the surface right in front of me on tank 3. I must have covered them 30 times with various dries and emerges and they just weren’t interested. Totally absorbing, but it would be good to catch one!

I had a quick look around 1 and 2 for moving fish, but have mostly been concentrating on the NE side of 3.
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concentrated on 1 and 2 last night. Bright and warm which I guess didn’t help. I fished all round 2 and all along the NE side of 1. Apart from a good size brownie jumping near the tower on 1, there was no surface activity until past 10pm when I saw a single fish moving in the bubble slicks on 2. Only one other angler out, so I guess word has got around.

The natural banks on 2 are still fishable in terms of weed, but the bank side grass is chest high and a bit of a pain to negotiate. Bring a machete!
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try a last minute solo boat on Chew yesterday afternoon as the weather looked promising and the reports from various sources had been so good. John in the Lodge confirmed that fish were coming out at all the usual spots especially in the dam basin and behind Denny but I fancied a quiet evening away from the crowds so set sail for Wick.

The conditions really were as good as it gets for trout fishing in my opinion - an overcast sky, not too warm or weedy with a very gentle breeze and good clarity so I was confident of getting a few fish. I started on a washing line with a Tadpole booby on the point and Holo DBs in red and Green on the droppers but my first long lazy drift from Spring Bay, past Wick and towards Stratford produced nothing and I also didn't see anything move, apart from the Bank anglers on Wick who caught 3 between them as I drifted by. Rolling Eyes

The mistake I often make with a half day boat is spending more time looking for fish than actually fishing so I was reluctant to move, but as it was 5.30pm with no evidence of fish in front of me I gave in to temptation and decided to try Herons. As I approached I couldn't see any boats which is very unusual but I decided to try anyway and was encouraged by the sight of a fish flattening the ripple as I set the drogue. Very Happy

My first drift produced a couple of sharp tugs and a lost fish due to the weed which gave me confidence to try another drift and as the evening wore on more fish began to show in the ripple. The takes became more confident too and it soon became clear that I had stumbled upon a pod of stockies as on a couple of occasions I had my leader destroyed by double hook ups. By 8.30 I had netted 10 with the largest going 4-2 and had lost another 6 due to trying to bully them to the net so for a change I decided to go over on the dries for the last half an hour. That was the cue for the fish to stop rising Rolling Eyes but as 9pm approached a few fish started to show again but by then it was time to pack in. Sad

Apart from the fishing I couldn't help but notice the number of damsel flies on the water which were replaced by a large hatch of sedge as the evening wore on. The weed was also noticeable particularly off Nunnery so the present conditions aren't going to last forever. Last night was the type of evening we dream about on cold winter nights and they don't happen often so if you are thinking about booking a boat, my advice is don't wait too long! Smile

Until next time ...

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, JCP, arkle, blondie, mc07fly, Thomas Tom-Thomas, tenet
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the BRFFA Orvis Floating Line match today from the bank at Chew today and had a great time, despite not troubling the scales too much at the end. My name was 5th out of the hat at 7am and although I was tempted to start at Wick it has been fishing so well recently that I was afraid I might not get a place, so I decided to head to the spit behind Bobs House in Herons which has been kind to me in recent years. However although the lake had dropped since last time I couldn't wade out beyond the weeds so I gave it best after 30 minutes and decided to give Walley bank a go instead.

Some of the other competitors with more sense that me were already on Walley, however they told me the going was hard with only one fish caught but I decided to give it a try anyway, especially when a fish broke surface well with in casting range. My line of attack was a Damsel on the point with just a single red Holo DB on the dropper in the hope of avoiding too many tangles and this seemed to pay off when a strong fish took the Damsel on the drop on only my second cast. It took me down to my backing twice so I wasn't surprised to find the culprit was a well mended Rainbow just an ounce over 3lb. Over the next hour or so I missed a couple of pulls, had a dropper ripped off and another two fish in my net making 3 in all before the onshore wind picked up making casting more tricky and the sun broke through the clouds which both conspired together to put an end to any interest from the fish Sad

By now the others has already left for pastures new so I decided to do the same, first stopping for an hour to swing a team of buzzers around Nunnery Point before, on the advice of a Ranger, finally deciding to do what I should have done at 7am and have a look at Wick. I arrived to find it busy with most of the bank competition anglers from Walley already there and it soon became clear that it had been fishing very well with one competitor having completed his 8 fish limit by 12.30! The others were also picking up the occasional fish and despite the bright sunshine and clear water the odd rise could be seen. I managed to squeeze in by the rushes but apart for a couple of half hearted taps and a fish that threw the hook when it leapt clear of the water, that was it for me although most of the others added at least another two fish to their totals while I was there.

At 10am I was fairly confident that 3 fish would put me near the prizes as a hot, bright sun and clear water are the kiss of death from the bank at Chew and such conditions are usually only good for sunbathing. However today the fish at Wick fed steadily throughout the day despite the bright sun so those who made the right decision earliest to fish Wick got their just rewards. I think I ended up around 6th overall. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Many thanks to the BRFFA committee for organising another very enjoyable and successful match, to Orvis for their sponsorship and impressive prize list and to the Sailing Club for hosting the after match dinner and presentation. I'm looking forward to the next one already.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, blondie, JCP
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Al! Your reports full of information as usual, and you have been catching actual fish, unlike certain other reporters! Embarassed Embarassed
Liked by: blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 30 of 43

Jump to: