The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Pen Rod

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Pen Rod Reply with quote

I know, it's a toy. Twisted Evil

I've had it for quite some time now. As I'm fond of saying, I use all my rods and reels in rotation (believe it or not) but this combination has so far eluded action. As it was a present from my late Father-in-Law Reg, I feel duty bound to use and catch something with it. Very Happy

It consists of a telescopic rod designed like a pen and a small multiplier reel, shown here with both in the palm of my hand:

A close up of the reel. This is useless for throwing a lure as there is no way (that I can find) of disengaging the click drag to free spool although it can be altered from left to right hand wind to suit. I reckon the only option is a sort of short Wallis cast with a series of SSGs for weight and a worm as bait.

Prior to erection........................ Shock

And fully extended:

It'll have to wait as I have more pressing things to do but next time I venture out for the Perch, they're gonna get some of this! Very Happy

In the top pocket son. Cool

I really like this ultralight fishing!

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are. A perch on a worm on the Pen Rod.

2 x SSGs for leger weight and the tip hooped over! Very Happy

Although it resembles one, on reflection I wouldn't call that tiny reel a multiplier either. It took quite some time to wind the bugger in.

Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb! Next up - a trout! Laughing

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Superb! Next up - a trout! Laughing

Hmmmmm.......................at full length the Pen Rod rod is 4'5" long and the reel is loaded with 2lb BS Maxima. Surprisingly, it has plenty of backbone (seen here hooked up to the draining tray in my kitchen) but even then, considering casting restrictions, the only way I can think of sensibly getting a trout with it is touch legering from a tube at an any-method-water with a worm, although trolling out a buzzer under a bung might not be out of the question! I managed to auction some bungs to myself at Thornton! Mad

However, I'll take you up on this challenge provided the miserly rod length is acceptable to Jason at Toft in February. Twisted Evil

Apologies for the excessive use of fruit in this picture: Shock

Apologies for the biscuit crumbs in this picture: Shock

Incidentally, the perch I hooked was not the fish I was targeting. There was a shoal of good sized (2lb upwards) perch just under the motorway bridge at Brigg. I managed to cast this contraption right in amongst them, watched the tip and then bang - their nephew puts in an appearance! Very Happy

The larger fish chased the 7" fish I'd hooked all over the place until they saw me (about 2 feet from the river bank) and then melted away like wraiths in the night...........

As BlankDay would say...........bugger. Cool

Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Richard! Love the very handy pocket sized rod n reel combo but please, next time when you post some pics, clean your finger nails. A mod should know better.
Alexa Bliss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, PENN Fishing Rods have long since dominated the market, creating a match made in earthly heaven with the world-renowned Fishing Reels that established our core competency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: