The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Good work Alan.

It is probably unacceptable to B.W but the best way to control growth is by spraying the areas in the spring with something like Roundup.
P

I think BW would have a fit at the mention of Roundup, Peter! Shock They didn't even like the idea of petrol chainsaws 'in case the petrol contaminates the water'. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Having said that I must say Kirsty (BW Conservation, Access and Recreations Manager) has been very supportive and she has scheduled in next Tuesday, 23rd November from 10am -12 noon to complete the work on The Beach area before hopefully starting work on the opposite Moreton bank facing into Herons. If we can also sort out the Moreton bank, that could be a game changer when the lake is at top level in a strong Southerly wind. Very Happy

If anyone would like to join the working party, please email Kirsty at kirsty.dunford@bristolwater.co.uk

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I was over on Moreton bank (a few years ago) I'm sure I saw a Tiger amongst the Elephant grass. Smile Smile. Folk used to wade out from the point on what was the remnants of an old road or has my memory got the better of me.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past it was easier to navigate through the reeds to Moreton Point but these days going through the 'elephant grass' can be a nightmare. Now I wait until the water level has fallen enough to allow me to wade along the side of the bank to the Point. Moreton Point can be very good but to be honest I have found that over the last two seasons other spots offer better fishing and are easier to reach.

I imagine the emphasis on any bank clearing on this side will be from Bobs House up to the old landing stage near the start of the reeds and elephant grass. I have found the lake bed to be shallower that the Oak Tree bank opposite and at top water it can be difficult to wade out far enough to get beyond the withies. As I said, opening up this bank could offer a valuable alternative to Wick in a strong Southerly especially when the lake is full. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an email notification from Greenpeace, that's to large a file size to either post here or send as a p.m.

It concerns how the U.K. a.o. E.U. countries are exporting huge quantities of neonoctinicide chemicals to 3rd world countries, rather than use it on our land.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to have a last minute afternoon session today on Chew and after noticing that the wind direction on Walley bank looked promising as I crossed the dam, I pulled up in the new Sailing Club car park shortly after 12.30pm. There were no pikers on the water today and I was pleased to see that a few members of the Morning Crew were fishing the area between the reeds and the Sailing Club because if you find them, you'll find fish! Laughing

One who had just finished told me he had 5 early on but they had a tendency to 'come and go' with a few pulls then nothing for ages so I was quietly confident as I made a start. The prime place next to the reeds was taken so I got in next door and started with my floating line with a couple of nymphs on the droppers and a beadhead White Tadpole on the point. The water clarity was very good and I couldn't help but notice a couple of dead Jack Pike on the bottom further out which I suspect had fallen victim to bolted smelt deadbaits rather than trout fishers. Sad

The wind allowed me to put out a good line and I was very confident I would get some interest, but it was the guys either side of me that had a couple each over the next hour and I noticed another angler down below the reeds also had two fish before deep wading in cold water got too much for him. In the meantime I couldn't buy a pull so was delighted when the guy by the reeds invited me to take his spot as he called it a day with 3 fish. I thought my luck would change being in the hot spot but when someone else arrived and promptly caught two fish further up by the Sailing Club I decided it was time for a change of tactics. My next approach was to fish my fast glass with a Pink Snake but I should have guessed what would happen next and it did. The fight didn't last long and I ended with a neatly severed leader minus my fly. Rolling Eyes

After that I decided to persevere with my floating line and I was encouraged when I got a firm tap on a washing line but it didn't lock up. That was followed 20 minutes later by another fish gently nipping the tail of the booby all the way back but nothing else happened while the guy to my right put another two fish in his bass bag making 4 in all. Then just as my confidence was about to hit rock bottom I got a proper pull and a fish was on! It took the Damsel Booby on the point and I must say it fought extremely hard, taking line multiple times so I was surprised when I netted the fish to find that it was 'only' around 2-8. However it was all silver muscle with a big tail and as it allowed me to dodge the dreaded blank, I was more than happy to see it! Very Happy

I carried on until dusk but had no further interest so I called it an afternoon at 4.45pm. It was an enjoyable if slightly frustrating session but when 5 anglers along the bank can share a dozen fish between them on a mid November afternoon you'll get no complaints from me. Very Happy

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Bongoch, tenet, arkle, mc07fly, JCP, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Chew again yesterday afternoon and decided to fish the stone spurs on Nunnery for a change. The water was very clear once more and although the wind enabled me to put out a good line, I didn't get much interest with my only two pulls coming to the washing line in a near flat calm around 2 hours apart. Sadly neither of them locked up so I gave them best shortly after 4pm. It is definitely slowing down now and location is everything if you want some sport. Neutral

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, JCP, blondie, lakefisher, Bongoch
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to help with bank clearing again this morning which enabled us to complete the work we started last week on the 'Beach' section of Nunnery just down from the Stones. We didn't have a working chainsaw this time so had to tackle some of the more mature saplings with hand tools which was hard work, but the upshot is that this whole section has now been opened up for bank fishing at top water from the reeds on the left down to the reeds on the right. Very Happy

Bank left ...

Bank right ...

BW have agreed to follow up our work with chainsaws to remove the stumps we left and are making encouraging noises around the possibility of scheduling in bank clearing annually on Blagdon and Chew which is a very promising development! Very Happy

After finishing up I decided to try my luck for a few hours in the afternoon . The weather was overcast with no wind to speak of and we were sharing the water with the Pikers which ruled out Walley so I eventually decided to try the Oak Tree. The water was very clear again and a bit colder than last time so I thought it might be tough. However a number of us did spot the occasional fish rising a good way out while bank clearing so I felt I was in with a chance of a pull. I started with my usual floating line set up with DBs on the droppers and a Black Booby on the point but after 30 minutes or so with no response I decided to try the White Tadpole on the point instead. That didn't make any difference either until one of the fish that occasionally dimpled out near the middle ventured close enough for me to cover and that resulted in a solid pull. The fish fought stubbornly but eventually the 3-6 bar of silver was in my net...

I wasn't really after a fish for the table but it was in such good shape I made an exception in this case, and when I spooned it I could see why it was fighting fit ...!

After that I lost another to the same tactic of covering an encroaching fish but nothing else happened until I changed to my Fast Glass line with a White and a Black Booby. On the very first cast I had a knock then a tremendous pull and run that took me almost into my backing. It was a very strong fish that repeatedly rolled on the surface and fought so stubbornly that I suggested to the angler next to me that it was foul hooked but no, it was just a very fit 4lb+ rainbow that had been caught fair and square in the scissors. It took the Black Booby on the point and was quickly released.

After that things slowed down with fewer fish showing in the middle or venturing in closer and apart from a fish that tugged the marabout for the last 10 meters in without locking up, that was it. I could have fished on but I wasn't dressed for deep water winter wading (no thermal long johns!) and the water was g-g-g-getting c-c-c-cold so I gave it best at 3.15pm. Laughing

Only a week to go now until the season closes on the Bristol reservoirs and the word on the bank is that BWF has decided not to extend the season until the end of December, although I haven't heard anything official yet. Neutral

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, Fryfishing, arkle, tenet, Bongoch, Doombar, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was tough. Arrived at the Oak Trees to be told that only one fish had been caught so far and that the water clarity was poor following the weekend storm, so I elected to try the deeper water by the Sailing Club in the hope that the clarity would be less affected. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and to make things worse the contractors building the cycle path were using the road and had commandeered most of the parking spaces with their work vans so I had dodge the traffic and then squeeze in on the end. Despite the early frost and cold air temperature the conditions looked quite promising with a friendly wind but by 2pm I hadn't had a touch so I decided to move. Sad

I never enjoy fishing in poor clarity so I decided to take a gamble and move to Blagdon, arriving on the North Shore around 2.15 where I was relieved to find the water clarity was as clear as Chew was last week before the storm. I carried on to the end of the track and fished the North Bank around into Butcombe with my floating line with 2 x DBs on a Washing Line then a White Tadpole before finishing with my Fast Glass and two boobies but despite the favourable conditions I didn't get a pull so I settled for the blank at 3.15pm. Sad

Last day of the season tomorrow so in a desperate attempt to catch something, I have decided to fish the Tanks with Dave (Bristol Flyer) rather than the big lakes. Wish me luck! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for getting out on a cold day and giving it a try.
I am going to chance my luck on the bank at Farmoor today.
Hope the Tanks work for you.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that went as well as I expected! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Arrived in the car park at 10.30 to be met by Dave who had no luck on No.3 before I arrived. We both elected to fish No.2 and started by the roadside bank but the gusting wind persuaded us to move to the causeway where the wind would be more or less behind us. There were three anglers fishing with one having caught a good fish that looked 3lb plus so I got in alongside him while Dave disappeared off into the distance. I started with the Fast Glass but changed to a D7 with my usual black and a white booby set up but never had any joy until I moved next to the flow coming in from No.1 where I hooked lost a decent fish. Sad

A text from Dave informed me that he had lost two fish by the inflow on No.1 so I decided to join him. There was more shelter on this bank making quite pleasant fishing but unfortunately no fish showed any further interest and after half an hour or so Dave called it a day.

I decided to fish on and tried the roadside bank on No.2 again on the way back. The wind was still very strong causing issues with casting so I was astonished when a fish grabbed one of my flies although that was quickly followed by disappointment when it dived into the weed and threw the hook... again! After that I decided to try No.3 just to tick the remaining box but got quickly blown off 'the pipe' where I could hardly get a line out and then got tired of getting weeded up in stocky corner so gave them best at 3.15pm.

So that's it for the 2021 season on the Bristol reservoirs but I'm looking forward to Opening Day in March 2022 already! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: BristolFlyer, blondie
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tough day Alan.
You have made the season ticket work for you and kept count of visits and fish caught?
P

Liked by: Allrounder
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was good to get out and blow the cobwebs away Smile

I was aiming for just one fish, or just a pull if I was still blank by lunchtime.

In the end I lost a decent one and had a couple of on/offs but it was still better than work, and it was good to catch up with Alan as always.

There were a surprising number of people out considering the weather and the mousers seemed to be having a bit of a season end party.

Until next year!
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

You have made the season ticket work for you and kept count of visits and fish caught?

If you are lucky enough to live fairly local and qualify for the Concessionary Monday- Friday season ticket with the reduced 125 fish option for £490.50 then it is not too difficult to make it work, Peter! Wink

My trout numbers were well down on 2020 which to be fair was an exceptional year although I have no complaints because the Pike fly fishing was off the scale so I spent almost as much time chasing pike as trout. The only downside for me last season was the complete 'no show' from the Perch which was a major disappointment although they have a habit of doing this, only to reappear again in numbers in a few seasons time.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Fly Tying Masterclass with Davy McPhail
Monday 6th December at the Stoke Inn, starting at 7.30.

The BRFFA have organised a Fly Tying session via a video link with Davy McPhail, master Youtube fly tier for this evening. He will take questions – which you will be able to ask on the day via a link. The BRFFA has suggested a selection of “Bristol Flies” that we would like him to demonstrate how to tie. He will take these flies step by step. Once he has tied them he is going to send the flies to the BRFFA who will use them as a raffle prize later. The final Flytying Evening in 2021 will be the following week on Monday 13th December, again at the Stoke Inn.

If you are unable, or are perhaps uneasy about attending in person due to Covid you can access this session online by following a link which can be found on the BRFFA homepage.

The Club has also announced dates for further Fly Tying Evenings and the AGM at the Stoke Inn plus Competition dates for 2022 which can be found here

With some uncertainty still surrounding the fishing in the long term I believe it is very important to support the BRFFA so it is good to see that you can now join the BRFFA online as well as by snail mail or BACS!

I have just rejoined via the website link and had no issues at all. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fame at last Very Happy
He is tying B.W flies.

Link

Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, arkle, Allrounder
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: