The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

A great end to the coarse fishing season

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> General Coarse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: A great end to the coarse fishing season Reply with quote

For various reasons I haven't coarse fished since before the pandemic apart from a few drop shotting efforts. However, as a river keeper friend told me over the phone that one of the carrier streams on his fishery that he had been working on seemed to have quite a few chub in it. Also, as he hadn't stocked that carrier for about 4 seasons there shouldn't be many trout. As it turned out, that was a bit of a joke.

I went this afternoon, and as there is no tackle shop local anymore where bait in the shape of maggots can be obtained I decided to use bread flake with some mashed bread as loose feed. This turned out to be lumpy and sticky, but it was the best I had so went with it.

I found the carrier stream easily as I know the fishery well and soon selected a nice pacy run that steadied about 25 yards down. First trot down and the float vanished and!!!! A sodding brown trout. Now I love my trout fishing, but NOT when I'm after chub. 5 more trout followed plus two more lost and that was that swim thoroughly trashed. I moved upstream and found a nice swim on a gentle bend with half a dozen hawthorn bushes on the far bank. Chub territory as outlined by Mr. Crabtree.

First run down and the float went under. CHUB. A good 5lb fish and into the keepnet he went. Third trot down and another one. About 3.5lbs this one. After that nothing further. I'm certain there were more chub there but they were not willing to play. About 25 yards away the main river came through a set of hatches. The river was rather wide and tackle control across to a far bank slack would be an issue, but only a third of the way over a bed of rushes was left over from last summer and just on the far side of it the current steadied into a nice little slack area.

By now I was down to a scraping of the sticky muck that passed for mashed bread, but in it went followed a few seconds later by my bait. The float didn't move a yard and down it went. Chub number 3, a good 4lbs this one. Three more chub followed from the slack area, one of them well over 5lbs and the other two 4lbs +. 6 good chub in the net for more than 25lbs total. All in the space of a couple of hours. THAT'S what I call a great end to the coarse fishing season.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, tenet, Fryfishing, lakefisher, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, Wylye. I enjoyed reading that! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a cracking end to the season, I have not caught a big Chub in years.
I well remember using floating bread crust to catch surface feeding chub on the river Colne and Gade. The other go to bait was free lining those big black slugs which lived in the grass by the river.

Maybe you need to build or buy a wormery it certainly provides bait all year round, but I guess a worm trotted under a float on your river would no doubt produce more trout than chub.
Hope all is well and see you at Farmoor soon.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Peter

Yes, that was a rather special session. The stretch of river I fished was part of the Benham Estate and was the beat lower down the river from where I took you last mayfly season. Both beats have lots of coarse fish and I have a more or less open invitation to fish either. Over the years I have caught lots of really top quality coarse fish there. 2 chub over 6lbs, lots of perch up to 3-3, a couple of 2lb+ roach and numerous dace over the 1lb mark back in the mid-80's. Probably about 20 of those between 1lb & 1-2. My best perch session was 8 between 2-2 & 3-3 on bitterly cold late February evening on lobworm tipped with 2 red maggots.

The only reason I seldom fish there is because of those spotty things. Even on a small carrier stream that hasn't been fished or stocked for 4 years they still manage to get there.

As it seems to be warming up a bit I might give Farmoor a go next week & see if the old long leader/weighted buzzer/indicator method works.

See you soon

Bob
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book early for Farmoor, the three boats are going quickly.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> General Coarse All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: