The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Friday 25th March Reply with quote

A full house at Blagdon today. Everyone shot down to the Top End and several boats were immediately into fish on the North East shore.
I opted for the South shore and made a determined effort to find some new ground. Four boats joined me and....we did not have pull
between us for approaching two hours!!
The light Easterly was still with us and a clear sunny sky. Nice to be out whatever the fishing? Well...not really... if I'm honest! I was frustrated.

At that point I swallowed my pride and joined the mainstream as a spot had opened up. Fish on the first cast to a red buzzer on the middle dropper.
of a midge tip. I was back on the 8 ft contour and fishing a slow steady Fo8 with a few quick pulls thrown in.

It was them back to steady accumulation using the hook and moving around a bit when thing went quiet. Drifts appeared less productive but a few rods stuck at it.
A group of boats would suddenly be into fish at the same time and then things would go quiet.

The word was that this week it had become harder and patchy. However over the morning most rods did well enough. Gradually folks left the hot area and most tried to break the hex but it looked difficult outside the Golden Triangle.

I packed up just before 2pm. Just got to eight with some really feisty fish up to 2lb-8oz but nothing heavier for me. The condition of all the fish was excellent. No cormy damage.
It was also noteworthy that a clear majority were returning most of their fish so the excellent sport looks set to continue but may continue to become gradually harder especially with the forecast change in the weather.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: codfather, tenet, Allrounder, arkle, blondie, Doombar, Bongoch
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (blondie) and I booked a boat on Blagdon after being told that that there were no boats on Chew today. We had a late start, not getting on the water until after 9.30am and we decided to follow the advice to look at the Top End. As expected there were plenty of boats filling up the Top End on the right hand side of Rugmoor so we decided to try the left hand side a bit further up from Pegs point. That proved fruitless so we decided to joint the multitude although we anchored up further across toward the South shore where there was more room. Things were slow to start and it took another short move closer in before I got a tug on the marabou of my Damsel on the point and shortly after that, Steve lost one on the bung. I then didn't have to wait long before I netted a fish on a Black Buzzer and I thought we would be anchored there for the rest of the day. However after another hour or two with no interest whatsoever from the fish we got itchy feet and decided to move.

Next stop was further up above the boats closer to the river inlet but we had no joy so we decided to roll the dice and try further down the lake including Butcombe, Pipe Bay and Home Bay. That proved to be a bad idea as we didn't get a single pull between us so as time was marching on we decided to go back to the Top End for the last hour or so.

That proved to be a good decision as by then the armada had thinned out and while we certainly didn't fill our boots, we finally managed to pick up a few pulls and net another 3 fish on a buzzer, red Holo DB and a chainbead Damsel , making 4 to the boat overall.

Then as 6pm arrived fish started moving on top but as Steve had a lift waiting we gave it best and made our way back down the lake to the Lodge. It was interesting to note that the only fish we saw move on top all day were at the Top End and most of them were behind where we anchored up in the evening. We never saw any rises on the way back to the Lodge despite the flat calm. Confused

So a tougher day than expected but still good fun as always when Steve and I share a boat. Looking forward to next time already ... Very Happy

Alan

PS... I noticed a solo boat angler in a red cap fishing in front of the Lodge as we were loading up our boat. Was that mc07fly? Smile
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly, arkle, blondie, Bovver, Bongoch, codfather
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder,

Sorry I missed you and Steve.
I find a morning session is just right for me these days and I didn't fish outside the Top End today.
Agree there were very few fish showing on top and I caught in the lower half by skimming over the bottom and any old died back weedbeds.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Alan.Great company as allways Cool
Great to get out finaly and a hard day for myself and Alan for most part of the day.Fair play to Alan for catching the trout he did Cool .
They were certainly eating black buzzers as Alans spooning revealed,just not mine Laughing
Llooking forward to probably Chew next time out Very Happy .Tight lines everyone Wink Steve
Liked by: Allrounder, Bovver, arkle
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Thoughts Reply with quote

Any thoughts on why the bulk of fish seem to head west following their intruduction to the Lake ? I know from past experience they tend to pod and follow the contours.

Best JP
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Early Season thoughts Reply with quote

Hello JP,

I'm guessing that the preseason stocking may have been impacted by BWF staff shortages and poor ground conditions for vehicle access. As a result the more accessible Green Lawn Causeway may have received more than its usual share and Butcombe and Cheddar somewhat less. Peggs was stocked as per usual hence the initial bonanza in Rugmoor Bay.

The Green Lawn fish made their way upstream to the Top End but I reckon it soon became clear that the cooler water flowing in from the main feeder stream was more attractive than the staler lake water encountered on the way. No winter overflow flush also didn't help. So a larger proportion of the initial stocking found their way to the feeder stream delta of the Top End and then took up residence. Protection from the cooler Easterly wind then cemented their preference for their new surroundings.

There are small numbers of fish in most of the usual spots but they have no real need to compete for food which is plentiful. The main competition has been around the McBuzzer restaurant at the Top End. Water flow into the feeders mid way along the South shore also appears to have been less than usual for some reason so fewer fish holding towards Wood Bay; but Bells has seen a few fish taken by the bank anglers.

I guess that there may be a top up stocking ahead of Easter depending on how the coming week pans out.

My view is that what is really needed is prolonged and significant rainfall to balance things up. There is some rain forecast for next week but not sure that this will be enough. Having said all that the fish are very lively and fight as well as I have experienced in the cool (11C) clear water. (Viz is 6 to 7ft)

The above is entirely a personal view and might also be a complete load of boll**ks. Pity we can't interview the fish!

Best,
McFly
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, Bovver, arkle, JCP, blondie, codfather
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds very plausible to me, mc07fly. Smile

Strangely we didn't see many buzzers hatching yesterday at Blagdon whereas they were a real nuisance when we drove across the lake at Chew on Tuesday morning, going up our noses and in our ears. Its been a long time since I remember that happening! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on Chew yesterday with a mate. We should have made hay before the wind got up and there were a ton of buzzer hatching, but it was almost half past nine before we motored over to Moreton. We managed three on far side of the mouth of Herons where there seemed to be a few fish holding, but they were tricky for sure. Black lures and one on a black DB under a bung.

Then the East wind got up so we headed for the shelter of Hollow Brook and zigzagged our way along to the reeds in front of the café on the N shore with no action at all.

There were a couple of boats anchored up on the corner and one of them said they had had a bucket of fish first thing but it had gone quiet. Nevertheless we stuck at it for a couple of hours and had a couple more on lures fished deep.

Last couple of hours we headed back to Herons and battled the wind and waves for one more fish. Wind finally dropped at 6pm but by then it was time to head in.

Tough day but still good fun with 5 fish to my rod - all stockies in fine fettle.

Pike anglers we spoke to didn't have a pull all day and the only pike we saw was a big mama swimming under the boat at Hollow Brook. Shock
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, Bongoch, blondie, codfather
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
. Pike anglers we spoke to didn't have a pull all day and the only pike we saw was a big mama swimming under the boat at Hollow Brook. Shock

Well done for finding a few fish, Dave. Cool

You are not the only person who has commented on large pike going under their boat and on Tuesday Ian (bovver) and I saw some reeds moving down in Herons, although I couldn't be certain it was caused by a Pike. Perhaps they are starting to get ready for their nuptials? Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Bongoch
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning to sound like a broken record but once again I was out over the weekend, fishing Blagdon from a boat on Saturday and Chew from the bank on Sunday.

On Saturday my boat partner and I set out from the dock at the back of 8 and unsurprisingly given recent reports made our way up to the Top End. Given the lake was a complete flat calm we decided to initially drop the anchor. I set up with a bibio DB top dropper, a UV ribbed DB middle and a black & green Cruncher on the point. Didn't have to wait long for action with 3 hookups to the bibio DB within the first 20 mins though 2 did come off. Although I was catching I decided to switch to a washing line by putting a black flat daddy on the point and also changed the middle dropper to a black Muskins as there were loads of buzzers in the air and shucks on the surface. Till about noon when things slowed down noticeably, the black Muskins consistently took fish. It was fishing so well that I replaced the DB on the top dropper with a natural coloured Muskins. This also took a few fish but wasn't as successful as the black version. By 1pm I was quite keen to have a drift as the wind had picked up so we pulled up the anchor and deployed the drogue. A few drifts from Top End down to Wood Bay brought a couple to the net but it was much tougher. Seeking pastures new we tried Rugmoor bay without joy, we then went down to Butcombe bay and also tried a few places along the Butcombe shore. However, we didn't see or touch anything. Having reached 3.30pm my boat partner wanted to head back up to Top End so we made the journey back up. We each had a couple more but, perhaps unsurprisingly, the fish were quite tentative and sometimes just nipping at the flies rather than taking them. At 5pm we called it a day and headed in. Couldn't tell you exactly how many I had, probably around 12-15 with my boat partner another 7. I did chat to another angler who'd caught 6 drifting from Polish Water down into Cheddar so there are a few fish somewhere other than the Top End.

On Sunday I headed over to Chew at Bob's Pt. When I got there it was completely fog bound, I could barely see the end of my fly line after casting out! Fishing between 7.15-10.30am I hooked 4 but could only land 3 with the Bibio DB on the top dropper taking all of them. A short session due to allotment commitments but still enjoyable!

A few pics:

Fish on at Blagdon:

Stomach Contents of Blagdon Fish:

Fog Bound on Chew:

Liked by: Allrounder, blondie, mc07fly, tenet, arkle, JCP, codfather, Bovver
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Monday 28th March Reply with quote

Very similar experience to Bongoch after a very chilly journey up the Lake at 8am. Some fish now showing down the middle of Top End and
dropped the hook about 80 yards in from bank down that centre line and worked gradually back westwards.
5 ft midge tip with a well teased out black seal fur taddy on the point and a bright red buzzer on a single dropper 6 ft away.
Simple rig but still working well for me.
Slow Fo8 after a couple of draws to straighten things up. Changed the black point fly to olive mid morning. Both colours were effective.
Well past double figures by 1pm and called it a day. Most fish were about 2-2 to 2-4oz with a couple closer to 2-8oz. Excellent condition.
Water temp now approaching 12C and fantastic viz of about 8 ft. No frills session today!
Best,
McFly
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet, Bongoch, arkle, JCP, codfather, blondie, Bovver
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning boat on Chew for me today. Headed off towards Herons but couldn't resist stopping for a while in an area off the nunnery spit where I'd seen the gulls going nuts and it turned out there was a massive buzzer hatch under way. Sadly no fishy interest in my flies & nothing rising but with that amount of choice down below maybe not a surprise.

Next to a spot about 30 yds off the beach where I soon had a fish on a black buzzer on the point, well down. Then a couple more over the next hour or so with lots of twitches & taps. Next stop was a drift onto the road bank opposite Bobs house where rangers had said there were fish, and there certainly were with interest or a good pull every couple of casts - team of buzzers on now fished very slowly/static. Had 3 & lost a couple fairly quickly there but smaller fish - just about 2lb.

I'd intended to have a look around anyway so headed off to picnic area 1, then a nice drift along in front of picnic area 2, then down to Wick, then Herriotts alternating the buzzers with a blob & damsel on an intermediate. Not a touch anywhere so with an hour to go I headed back to Herons where things had slowed but I still managed 1 and lost another.

Another good, fun day. Not easy (apart from the spell opposite Bobs house) but I felt I'd done OK in finding a method & team that worked. Again nothing huge - 2.8 biggest - and apart from one in Herons that had picked a fight with something with teeth, all were in excellent condition and not ready to give up without a considerable scrap. For some bizarre reason they kept wanting to seek sanctuary in my drogue unlike last week when they all played fair.

A few bank anglers out at Oak tree & Bobs house but I didn't see anyone catch. Rumour is that its maybe better from tea time on into evening at the moment.

Amazing sight in the car park afterwards with clouds of buzzers in the air & the cars absolutely covered. Apparently its been like that for a few days which bodes well for our 2lb stockies. Not so much for the restaurant clientele.
Liked by: mc07fly, Allrounder, Bongoch, arkle, JCP, codfather, blondie, Bovver
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Doug (tenet) on Farmoor, I booked an afternoon boat today on Chew on the assumption it would still be on the mild side but that certainly changed as the afternoon wore on and the wind took on a more Northerly direction. After the lovely weather recently it is easy to forget it is still March and I was soon regretting not adding another layer or two before leaving the jetty just before 2pm. Sad

First stop was behind Denny around Hollow Brook but I didn't stop long as I didnt get any pulls and I just wasn't feeling it. Next stop was the bottom of Herons where I had a cunning plan to anchor up and fish buzzers under a bung with a weighted bloodworm pattern on the point. I was convinced this would sort out a few shy biters that wanted a static presentation but despite trying various areas from the reeds on the right, to the roadside bank and then the middle area I didn't get a touch. A couple of boats joined me making short drifts to the reeds on the left and when I saw a fish caught I decided to go back to the drawing board with my 'not so cunning' plan and revert to straight nymphs with a chainbead Damsel on the point instead.

Needless to say that didn't work either so I decided to try elsewhere, passing a number of Evening League boats drifting down the Oak Trees side on the way out. I saw at least one fish caught as I passed them so they obviously found fish but by then I was just getting cold and was running out of ideas. Next stop was the Morton Bird Hide casting towards the reeds which was a bit lumpy but I felt there might be a fish or two present. That seemed to pay off when I covered and netted a rising fish of around 2-8 which took the Damsel on the 3rd attempt but I had no more joy after that. Good to avoid a blank though! Laughing

Final stop was anchored 30 yards off Woodford bank near the trees which offered a bit more shelter from the wind. After a while the occasional fish could be seen on top moving up the ripple but they stayed well away from the boat. By now I had changed back to a couple of Buzzers and a Red DB under the bung so when one fish wandered within casting range I cast the bung in its path more in hope than in anticipation ... and it took the Red Holo DB on the top dropper straight away! It put up a good scrap and was released to fight another day.

The boats didn't have to be in for another 30 minutes but I was getting too cold to enjoy it so I decided to give them best at 7pm. Back at the jetty the Ranger gleefully told me tales of boats catching dozens of fish on Buzzers along the North Shore and in Herons etc. That's fishing for you although in the end I was just relieved I didn't blank! Laughing

Until next time ... Very Happy

Alan

PS I was told they stocked 1000 fresh fish by the yacht club today so Walley and Woodford might be worth a look. Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, Doombar, blondie, JCP, codfather, Bongoch, mc07fly, arkle, Bovver
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Allrounder On The Bung Reply with quote

Looks a fat fish Alan... Cool

Last edited by JCP on Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: Allrounder
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Blagdon 30th March Reply with quote

Blagdon had also been stocked with 500 at Green Lawn on Monday afternoon just as I was leaving and I caught up with some of these new recruits already in residence at the Top End McBuzzer Bar.

Fortunately I had wrapped up warm but the wind changed from N to W to E and back to N during the morning. Air and water both 11C. Viz was 8ft plus.

By 1pm I had returned one more than a Baker's Dozen including four about 3lb 1/4oz. Many of these latest stock are notably reddish in hue with a vivid magenta stripe.
I recall this strain being introduced from the USA several years ago and they are notably hard fighting fish and provide excellent sport.

I used my usual simple one dropper "Duffers Rig" but now with a smallish #12 dark green body/black tail taddy on the point and a red buzzer on a single dropper as per usual on a 5ft midge tip.

Its been great to be back in action and enjoying such a purple patch. But I plan to cut back on these Blagdon reports to perhaps once per week or post only when there is something really new to note.

Tight Lines!
McFly
Liked by: Doombar, blondie, JCP, Allrounder, codfather, Bovver
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 6 of 25

Jump to: