The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem & thanks, again
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was probably the warmest and sunniest day of the year so far so instead of my planned afternoon session, I fished an evening session instead arriving at Blagdon shortly after 5pm.

I had a look along the length of the South shore before electing to start at Rainbow Point casting into Wood Bay. The water was very clear and there was a nice ripple so I felt quite confident despite the bright sun. I started with my usual floating line set up of a Red Holo DB and Black Buzzer on the droppers alternating between various weighted and unweighted flies on the point but after a hour without a touch I decided it was time to move. I had a look at Green Lawn but found the forecast Southerly wind was more of a North Westerly Confused so I thought Pegs might be worth a look. When I arrived there was a car with 4 youths messing with the combination lock on the gate who were obviously not anglers. They drove off when I arrived but only as far as a farm gate a few yards up the lane. I guessed their plan was to follow me in when I opened the gate so I decided against fishing there and sure enough their car appeared behind me as I pulled away. They followed me down the lane and I had the feeling they were hoping I would let them in at the South shore gate should I enter it so I decided to carry on to Chew instead. Mad

Given the wind direction I decided to try Nunnery Stones on Chew first. Despite the bright sun I felt confident due to the deeper water especially as there was a lovely right to left ripple. However despite my best efforts nothing happened so I decided to look at the Beach and the Oak Trees. Two anglers were fishing the Beach and I saw a couple of fish move in front one of them within casting distance but I didn't get the feeling that they wanted any company so I moved on down to the Oak Trees. I started to the right between the trees where I tried various damsels on the point and my first fish took a Damsel Booby fished on a washing line set up. It weighed 2-8 and gave a good account of itself before coming to the net and after I had administered the last rites, I found an Orange Blob well back in its mouth Laughing

I had one more pull from that spot but had to wait until the light was failing before I netted my second and final fish in front of the car park. It clattered the Red Holo DB on the top dropper in an almost flat calm but when I netted it I found it had pike damage so I released it. Despite the failing light I felt there was another fish to be had but unfortunately the fish had left my leader in a mess so I gave them best at 8.30pm.

So a rewarding session in the end, although I should have gone to Chew first! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: JCP, lakefisher, mc07fly, tenet, Doombar, Bongoch, arkle, blondie, codfather
Bongoch
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was away until Sunday but was able to get out on Easter Monday and take advantage of the weekends season tickets ability to fish on bank holidays. Very Happy

Decided to head to Chew and fish the stones on Nunnery first. Strung up 2 rods, one with a washing line on a floater (flat daddy on point and a couple of Muskins on the droppers) and the other a midge tip with a washing line (black flat daddy on point and DBs on the droppers). Started on the 3rd spit along but after an hour and switching between rods I hadn't had anything. Changing the point fly to a varnished buzzer in order to fish a bit deeper did nothing either. Tried moving a few spits further round but to no avail. Consequently I decided to jump in the car and head round to Woodford. Setting myself up to the right of the little tree, I decided to go with the midge tip but changed the point fly to a sunburst FAB and changed the droppers to a couple of cormorants. A few fish were moving within casting distance here so I was confident that I'd get something. After 30 mins my line went tight and after an acrobatic fight a nice Rainbow was landed and released. A further 2 fish followed in the next half hour with one taking the FAB again and the other the cormorant on the middle dropper. After that flurry things went distinctly quiet so I decided to up sticks again and visit Walley for the first time this season. Lovely right to left ripple here but fishing to the right of the reeds for over an hour brought nothing. At this point I decided to call it a day. Tough session but happy to have caught something!
Liked by: mc07fly, codfather, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished an evening session today, arriving at the Oak Tree on Chew at 6.15pm. Water clarity was excellent and although the wind was coming from an Easterly direction towards the shore, it was light enough not to be a problem. I started to the right of the car park with my usual floating line with a Red Holo DB and Black Buzzer with a Damsel Booby on the point then gradually worked my way along the bank. Nothing happened for the first 30 minutes then following a longer than usual cast a fish took a liking to the Damsel Booby but jumped clear of the water as I tightened into it, throwing the hook in the process.

I didn't have to wait too long before another fish had a go, this time taking the Red Holo DB, and after the acrobatic antics of the last fish I was relieved that this one came to the net rather easily so I could avoid a blank. After that I swapped the buzzer for a Green DB and had three 'on /offs' over the next hour or so as fish hit the DBs very hard in the clear water . While this was somewhat annoying, at least I had fish in front of me that were willing to have a go which is all I ask for. However, as the light started to fade interest from the fish dried up so I gave them best at 8.45pm.

So an interesting couple of hours although it is frustrating when you get arm wrenching takes that don't stick for more than a few seconds. Better than no pulls at all though. Laughing

Until next time ... Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly, Bongoch, arkle, blondie, codfather
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning boat on Chew for me yesterday. Started very well off picnic area 2 with 3 fish in quick succession on WL. Chilly moderate NE breeze but overcast and even a few fish moving. Then another boat arrived & positioned to start a drift 40 yds directly in front, then realising he was perhaps a tad close moving a further 40 yds away and dropping anchor. Aw bless, I thought. Went back & started my drift again when a 3rd boat chugged across maybe 50 yds in front & dropped anchor. I know the arguments of anchor v drifting but this was just plain inconsiderate. I'm guessing, given the hilarious casting involved, beginners who had been told where the fish are and were gonna go straight there, park & fish no matter what.

I moved further out & had 3 more inc 2 better fish (est 3.0 & 3.Cool over the couple of hours so before the cloud disappeared & things got a lot tougher. Many more boats arrived & almost all dropped their hooks and continued catching the odd fish (cast down wind & leave it seemed to be the method) but I got a bit bored & went exploring, sadly without much success. An on/off in the lumpy water at the bottom of herons, a couple of taps off picnic area 1 & another good pull missed off whalley and that was it.
Liked by: mc07fly, Allrounder, JCP, Bongoch, tenet, blondie, codfather
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Air Horns for Doombar Reply with quote

You need one of those ''air horns'' from Amazon Colin Laughing Does get the attention of errant hook slingers Idea Will possibly cheer you up if nothing else especially when they panic and flood the engine.A real pearl and dean someimes.

JP
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my style JP. Last thing I'd do is disturb the tranquility of the place. Although have to admit 'torpedo' went through mind.

And if the village coven have done as I asked, by now the occupants of boat 29 are suffering a massive flea infestation in the groin area.
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Flea Infestation Reply with quote

Pagans Hill eh ? Lots of hokus pokus in Zummerzet... Laughing
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having taken to anchoring more than drifting over the last season or so when fishing solo for trout I can see the argument from both sides. I got a right rollicking once when I didn't notice I was drifting in front of a anchored boat while fighting a rather lively trout for longer than expected, although I was fishing a much smaller and more crowded reservoir than Chew or Blagdon at the time. These days when fishing solo I prefer to anchor closer in away from drifting boats in order to explore areas away from the madding crowd where wading is not possible. Wink

I had a few hours on Chew yesterday afternoon, arriving at the North Shore at around 3.30pm The NE wind provided a nice ripple and when one of the two anglers present said they had just caught things looked promising. I started with my usual floating line set up with a Black Buzzer and red DB on the droppers with a Booby Damsel on the point. However apart from hooking something that felt like a pike which shook the hook (no bite off) moments later nothing happened for me, although another latecomer fishing to my right lost one on a Hopper. After that I got itchy feet and decided to look elsewhere.

I had a look at Bobs House from the road but the waves were rolling down into the bay so I elected to fish the Oak Tree instead. Two other anglers were fishing and the one I spoke to had caught 3 fish but had been there all day. The stiff breeze was creating quite an impressive swell at this end of the lake but as it sounded like there was the odd fish around I decided to give it a go anyway. Nothing happened for an hour or so until I picked up a 2-8 stocky on the Buzzer quite close in but that was it from that spot. A Ranger checking tickets said a few fish had been reported off Woodford but I elected to stay put in the hope of grinding out a few pulls by moving up and down the bank.

I was hoping the persistent NE wind would drop a little as the evening wore on but if anything it got stronger which was taking the edge off the clarity. I hadn't seen anything on top so I abandoned my washing line for a straight line with a small beadhead Black and Green tadpole on the point in the hope that the sharper profile might prove more attractive. That seemed to be the case although only one of my three final hook ups over the next hour made it all the way to my net. Then it went very quiet again and as the effects of deep wading, rolling waves and the stiff breeze where starting to take their toll, I gave them best at 8pm.

Until next time ... Smile

Alan

PS I see a massive 41lb 15oz pike had been caught on a fly, which is a different fish to the 43lb according to BWF. Maybe time to brush off the Pike fly fishing gear? Cool

B.A.S.S.

Last edited by Allrounder on Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: mc07fly, lakefisher, arkle, Bongoch, codfather, blondie
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank 3 last night, arrived at 6pm only angler in the car park headed for number three past hundreds of cow slips which looked Amazing.
Wind direction meant I fished Bristol end and set up with team off buzzers and after an hour had a pull which I missed,luckily it came back again and I landed a nice 4 ib rainbow on the point fly.
That was it didn’t see any fish rise all evening, levels pretty high and clarity very good.

Nice to be out martins we’re out in serious numbers and grebes doing there merry dance which is always nice.
Going to try to get out couple times next week.

Cheers mike
Liked by: Allrounder, codfather, arkle, blondie, mc07fly, JCP, Bongoch
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A name that is getting a lot of praise in fishing circles is RJC. I might be wrong but they would appear to be one of the few artisan rod builders who roll their own. If your in the market for a mid - high price rod then maybe give them a shout. I have no connection with the company only reading rave reviews on the salmon fishing forum.
https://www.rjcflyrods.com/the-rods
Liked by: JCP, blondie
Bongoch
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chew on Saturday for me this weekend. Smile

Having seen the forecast for strong winds from the NE, decided that North Shore was probably the best place to start. Arrived right on dawn with 2 other anglers already fishing next to the reeds at the Eastern end. Strung up my floater with a black Muskins on the top dropper, a DB on the middle and a black flat daddy on the point. There were some fish topping but mostly in the ripple line which was just to far out of reach. Had a couple of half hearted tugs in the first 45 mins before I decided to switch the point fly to a small #12 sunburst FAB. This brought a nice fish to the net almost immediately but that apart things remained slow. At 8am I decided to reassess my options, the 2 anglers to my left said they'd had good sport in the hour before dawn but since then (coinciding with my arrival!) things had gone dead. Sad Consequently I decided to up sticks and move. Had a look at Woodford but decided to continue on round to the stones at Nunnery. Spits #2 and 3 were occupied so I started off at #4 were there was a lovely left to right ripple. I kept the black Muskins on the top dropper and also tied a natural coloured one on the middle. On my second cast I had a clunking take but sadly the fish managed to shake the fly at the net. Crying or Very sad By 9am the wind had started to get up and I started to worry the wind was pushing the floater round to quickly. I decided to setup my second rod with a midge tip, putting a couple of #12 cormorants on the droppers and a sunburst FAB on the point. This brought instant success with a fish taking the traffic light cormie on the top dropper. By 10am the wind was getting worse so decided to move round to the beach which was slightly more sheltered. Went back to the floater here but put a heavier varnished buzzer on the point. Second cast I had a hookup but it didn't stick. A few casts later I had a more confident take which was duly landed and returned. Things then went quiet again so I moved down the bank again dropping in just up from the Oak Tree. Switching to the midge tip I had another 3 Rainbows, 2 taking the traffic light cormie and the other the sunburst FAB. By 11.30am there were some proper rolling waves coming down Heron's so I decided to head home. Enjoyable morning but couldn't help but feel for the boat anglers most of whom appeared to over the Eastern side out of the worst of the wind!

I'm off to Exmoor for a long weekend next week and hope to get out on both Wimbleball and Clatworthy!

A few pics from Saturday:

Waves rolling down Heron's:

Fish from North Shore:

Liked by: codfather, tenet, mc07fly, JCP, blondie, arkle, Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report Bongoch - secured a boat for Wednesday which will be my first trip out on Chew this year. Forecast is for lighter winds, overcast but a tad cooler. Here's hoping for some sport.
Liked by: blondie
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recent reports from Blagdon, boat or bank? Very Happy Our usual Mc-correspondent has been quiet.
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Unplanned silence! Reply with quote

Greetings BristolFlyer!

My apologies! I'm afraid my only significant catch in April has been Covid....and it has not been much fun.

As a close relative of Gandorf I was offered a second booster at the beginning of April and promptly went down with the real thing a few days later!

The good news is that all the well reported nasty symptoms did not last long but for the next three weeks I have never slept so much in my life.
I have also had to withdraw my application for the Bath half marathon (in my dreams).

Hopefully energy levels will soon be restored and I can rejoin the other silver haired twiddlers and drift blockers at Blagdon.

Tight lines!
McFly
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie, tenet, arkle, JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 9 of 25

Jump to: