The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

The Bread Fly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, so does that mean if we are using boobies or blobs etc, we are not fly fishing?
FryFly
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevZim wrote:
Missed this one...

Fly fishing is to fish using a hand dressed artificial fly design to suggest or imitate a NATURALLY occuring prey item for the fish. I would take this definition to include emergent and nymphal insect imitations, and suggestive patterns, along with other invertebrate food items such as crustacea. Genuinely imitative baitfish patterns, such as those used in SWFF, would also fall within this remit. I would also, for those poor lost souls who are in pursuit of mullet, include seaweed flies.

But NOT Bread Flies.

Bread is not naturally occuring. It is a manmade confection. Therefore if you fish with a bread fly, you are coarse fishing with a fly rod. Subtly different.

Can't argue with that logic now can you?

Smile

Oh - and really, if you want to be "correct" about the way you fly fish, it should really be upstream single dry fly only on running water... and imitative loch style wets on still water (if you must stoop to multiple flies and sunken lines).
Unless you're from north of the Watford Gap - in which case three poofy coloured spiders dragged down and across is permissible.
Twisted Evil

Surely thats not "correct" but is old fashioned or "traditional" as apposed to actually fly fishing.

www.unchartedwatersthefilm.com

"Having an affair with Africa is like any great love, It will take you through conflicting emotions of hate & desire, joy & despair & if you stay long enough it will drive you insane and in your madness you will finally realise that come what may, this is where you were meant 2 be."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisNicholls wrote:
Kev, so does that mean if we are using boobies or blobs etc, we are not fly fishing?

Precisely my point.
Fluff flinging maybe, but not fly fishing.

FryFly wrote:
Surely thats not "correct" but is old fashioned or "traditional" as apposed to actually fly fishing.

No no no... Let me make myself crystal clear: That's "Correct" as in "Not incorrect," "True," and "Not bulldust fluffy confections that in no way represent a natural food item what-so-ever."
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,what HAVE you started Rolling Eyes Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
sweeper driver
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting silly now, wish I'd never put the bloody step by step up on the forum. If I wish to catch carp on a fly rod using an artificial lure, then so be it. If I wish to catch carp on a fly rod using a natural imitation, again...so be it.

But please don't take the mick out of my methods...the bread fly has taken a while to develop, several false starts and a good deal of work from myself and PVJensen.

The step by step was posted to help others who like to fly fish for carp, or who would like a crack at it. I'd like to think that some people have learnt something from it, but I'll not put up with this highbrow stuff about it not being cricket or whatever....

If you don't like my methods and my ideas, then fair enough, I don't expect everybody to. But don't jump on me for them. I don't take the piss out of anyone for using upstream dry fly or downstream nymph, so please don't take the piss out of me for using the bread fly.

--------------------------------------------------------

"the trout, the whole trout and nothing but the trout..."
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Kev, so what is the definition of fly fishing, you have stated what you think it is. I have always looked at it as fishing with an artificial fly (and I use that term loosely) with recognised fly fishing tackle, that is a fly rod and reel and most importantly, a fly line with which to get the 'fly' out onto the water.
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see anything wrong in it.What the heck is the matter with fly fishing for coarse fish-Trout aint the b####y holy grail of the fish world.
Lets face it,a zonker or a Booby don't exactly abound naturally Shock ,or do they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I enjoy all my fishing and fly fishing is just another weapon in my armoury.
FryFly
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevZim wrote:
ChrisNicholls wrote:

Precisely my point.
Fluff flinging maybe, but not fly fishing.

FryFly wrote:

No no no... Let me make myself crystal clear: That's "Correct" as in "Not incorrect," "True," and "Not bulldust fluffy confections that in no way represent a natural food item what-so-ever."

So what? That's purist not fly-fishing. Surely thats a mentality and not the definition?

"Having an affair with Africa is like any great love, It will take you through conflicting emotions of hate & desire, joy & despair & if you stay long enough it will drive you insane and in your madness you will finally realise that come what may, this is where you were meant 2 be."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
FryFly
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweeper driver wrote:
This is getting silly now, wish I'd never put the bloody step by step up on the forum. If I wish to catch carp on a fly rod using an artificial lure, then so be it. If I wish to catch carp on a fly rod using a natural imitation, again...so be it.

But please don't take the mick out of my methods...the bread fly has taken a while to develop, several false starts and a good deal of work from myself and PVJensen.

The step by step was posted to help others who like to fly fish for carp, or who would like a crack at it. I'd like to think that some people have learnt something from it, but I'll not put up with this highbrow stuff about it not being cricket or whatever....

If you don't like my methods and my ideas, then fair enough, I don't expect everybody to. But don't jump on me for them. I don't take the piss out of anyone for using upstream dry fly or downstream nymph, so please don't take the piss out of me for using the bread fly.

I'm going to untill i get one myself and come with you carp fishing with flytackle - flyfishing!
You cannot seriously wish you never posted it because it raised a very important debate and question. Colin is right entirely because he doesnt believe it - he's wrong entirely to you and me because we disagree but hell what a good debate it brings. Its great to see others opinions and the strength of those to what they consider is there sport. There will always be purists especially where there is enhancement - take fishing with cane rods and antique tackle.

It's a cracking step by step! And I'll give it a go but I dont know if I have the skill to pull it off yet. I dont think anyone is directing it at you but more at a principle and a new branch of the sport. I even used one of those jelly worms with dumbell eyes, if it caught anything I'd use it again Surprised This should have been done on a new thread but your has been hijacked. Sorry about that Rich, but please don't take the comments personally and lets see where this goes. Besides how else are we gonna convince Colin he is wrong Wink

KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FryFly wrote:

So what? That's purist not fly-fishing. Surely thats a mentality and not the definition?

Purist... Pure... Unadulterated...
Which makes it fly fishing, as opposed to some illegitimate mongrel style of multidisciplined fishmongery!

Rich - don't take it personally, we just like a good cut and thrust. Might even find one or two of us are playing devil's advocate.

Cracking Step by step... well done.

Shame it's not a fly Wink
Colin M Boyd
100 Post Club

Location: Troon/Jack boot Jack McConnell?s, Peoples Republic of Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
No offence meant to anyone.
I’ve posted above that I have personal limits and the said fly is out width my limits.
What others choose as limits is up to them.
There are other stuff in the fly fishing world that I wouldn’t use.
Fly spoons for example.

No one can define fly fishing as no one knows exactly what it is.
Is it a sport, hobby, pastime or an excuse to get out in the fresh air.
Only the actual person doing the fishing can determine what it is and at the time when they are doing it.
It can be a sport even when not competing with others. If someone chooses to compete with a fish or the conditions then call it a sport but if the angler gets fed up and changes tactics or even position then it can instantly become a pastime. I don’t always go fishing with the sole intent to catch fish so at these times its an excuse to get out.

No one can define fly-fishing,
Its way to complicated for mere words.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sweeper driver
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll do for me...

--------------------------------------------------------

"the trout, the whole trout and nothing but the trout..."
Neptune
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevZim wrote:
FryFly wrote:

Purist... Pure... Unadulterated...
Which makes it fly fishing, as opposed to some illegitimate mongrel style of multidisciplined fishmongery!

You've such a way with words mate, love it

Rich/PVJ good step by step and cheers for starting a great exchange

KP

PS : Rich, how is the swffing coming along ?

Whitbread Fremlins Courage - Pro Staff
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich.
any chance of a

boilie fly Wink Strange Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Nicepix
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin M Boyd wrote:
Hi all,
No offence meant to anyone.
I’ve posted above that I have personal limits and the said fly is out width my limits.
What others choose as limits is up to them.
There are other stuff in the fly fishing world that I wouldn’t use.
Fly spoons for example.

No one can define fly fishing as no one knows exactly what it is.
Is it a sport, hobby, pastime or an excuse to get out in the fresh air.
Only the actual person doing the fishing can determine what it is and at the time when they are doing it.
It can be a sport even when not competing with others. If someone chooses to compete with a fish or the conditions then call it a sport but if the angler gets fed up and changes tactics or even position then it can instantly become a pastime. I don’t always go fishing with the sole intent to catch fish so at these times its an excuse to get out.

No one can define fly-fishing,
Its way to complicated for mere words.

Hear, hear Colin. Very Happy

Now move this thread to coarse fishing where it belongs.

Wink

Clive
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: