The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Chalk Springs (again) - 06/01/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerebus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Chalk Springs (again) - 06/01/07 Reply with quote

Wet, wet, very very wet.

First fish - 7lb(ish) Brown Trout, returned obviously... what a fish though, very happy man Very Happy
Rest of my fish, cracking fighting specimens up to 4lb. Lost a monster rainbow, it reared it's head out of the water as the hook departed the mouth, I swear I could see two fingers come out of the water as it swam away Wink

Glad I weathered the rain.

Happy New Year indeed.

Lee
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done
so spill the beans then-what lakes were you on,what flies and method Laughing
cerebus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing was on small white cat style flies - white mini-cat/cormorant thing and a white/chartreuse min-cat. All fished on a clear intermediate. Cool
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerebus wrote:
Fishing was on small white cat style flies - white mini-cat/cormorant thing and a white/chartreuse min-cat. All fished on a clear intermediate. Cool

Now don't give too much away will ya Rolling Eyes Laughing
Which lakes were you on/catch from?deep/shallow/,fast /slow retreive Rolling Eyes Mr. Green Mr. Green
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Lee, looked out the window today, took one look at the weather and decided against even going to Tesco!

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
cerebus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, had the Mrs on at me to sort something out Wink

Caught them in South lake, far end to middle. The fishing was very slow to slow to jerky retrieve variations, near the bottom mostly, maybe 6-8 inches off, although many were catching near the top too... the big fish are being very picky I think, smaller patterns and you'll see if they like what you have on the end or not; I could see the big lumpers cruise up to my patterns and naff off so I just kept switching around until I found something that worked. Obviously the regular fish will bite almost anything, althought the blues are not taking the same patterns at all, we found that reds, pinks and oranges seem to have their interest, I suppose because they stand out in the water people stalk them a lot. Later in the day natural patterns were needed as the artificial looking things had been thrown at them to the point of boredom Very Happy

Had my reservations after the last trip, but the stalking is damn good fun and it's very interesting to learn how my decisions and actions affect the pattern in the water, the fish also fight very hard, I will go again. Best of all the fish taste better than any I've caught from artificial still waters.

I'll stop waffling now.

Cheers

Lee
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok-thats better Laughing ,thought you were holding out on us Mr. Green
Those Blues must be the target of everyone.They are very picky indeed,I thought i had hooked one last week,as one turned to take the fly,but a rainbow zoomed out of nowhere to grab it Shock Evil or Very Mad Laughing .
Its interesting to watch the reactions of the fish though.I had so many follows it was ridiculous.It did seem that if a few fish were interested,then one would grab hold almost out of competition.Casting to an individual fish would get a reaction,and as you say-stick two fingers up at it Laughing .Actually watched one decent rainbow mouth a fly of the novice i was with and spat the damn thing out without showing any movement on the leader or line Shock .
Just how many times does this happen when fishing murkier waters??!!.
cerebus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a real monster keep coming around and around at my fly for about 15 minutes but just couldn't tempt it to commit. I did wonder exactly that about murky water takes.

Does anyone know what Blackwool Farm is like, spotted the sign for it on the way home?

Cheers

Lee
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be going again on the 18th-hopefully.Probably just half day-going to give those blues a try Shock Mr. Green
twopiece

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: BLACKWOOL FARM Reply with quote

cerebus hi,

Black wool farm comprises 2 man made lakes , about 2 acres + ea, bottom lake stocked with fish from 4lbs up to 20lbs+ very well stocked , perhaps a little over stocked, top lake stocked from about 2.5lbs up to about 6-7lbs and the odd couple of larger ones now and again, not the cheapest day out bottom lake about £50.00 for 4 fish,top lake about £30 ish for four fish, saying that always the chance to tag a lunker if thats what you are after.

hope this give you some idea ,

Twopiece
FryFly
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: BLACKWOOL FARM Reply with quote

twopiece wrote:
cerebus hi,

Black wool farm comprises 2 man made lakes , about 2 acres + ea, bottom lake stocked with fish from 4lbs up to 20lbs+ very well stocked , perhaps a little over stocked, top lake stocked from about 2.5lbs up to about 6-7lbs and the odd couple of larger ones now and again, not the cheapest day out bottom lake about £50.00 for 4 fish,top lake about £30 ish for four fish, saying that always the chance to tag a lunker if thats what you are after.

hope this give you some idea ,

Twopiece

£50 Surprised Surprised Shock Mad Evil or Very Mad Guess they make a profit!

www.unchartedwatersthefilm.com

"Having an affair with Africa is like any great love, It will take you through conflicting emotions of hate & desire, joy & despair & if you stay long enough it will drive you insane and in your madness you will finally realise that come what may, this is where you were meant 2 be."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Koz
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the South east for you Fryfly rip off city! . Be nice to see a few more catch and release places about . i certainly wont be fishing stock ponds anymore thats for sure . Chalk springs Although it is a lovely location is packed full of Fish and you can catch em on pretty much anything . Still it keeps the Monster Hunting Glory Hunters happy Thats the main thing ..... No offence intended but it just irks me that we all go along with this way of fishing , its too easy the fish dont have a chance and its over priced ... And then some idiot steps up and casts right in front of you !( Reduce Fish numbers, reduce the number of Anglers on the water at any one time ,Reduce the cost of the Fishing ( a bit anyway) and Lets put a few back ... Greed thats all it is .... I think im done ... no wait turn off your Mobiles when your Fishing and Always Make sure you pay , and play by the rules Wink In an Ideal World hey Rolling Eyes

I salute the Captain ...
sweeper driver
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue that bit about catching at Chalk Springs on almost anything...I've often struggled to catch there. I mean...really struggled. Been through the contents of all my fly boxes sometimes.

The stalking brigade can be a right pain in the ass sometimes, I agree...I love stalking trout, but the way some of them behave...pushing in front of you, casting over your line at a fish..pisses me right off.
I did have to have a word with one of them once...a little whisper in his shell-like got my message over, but we shouldn't have to do that sort of thing to a fellow angler.

Smallwaters don't make that much profit to allow them to cut prices or reduce angler numbers, more's the pity. Ask Darren at Chalk Springs next time you go down there about his profit margins...but make sure you have plenty of time!!

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------

"the trout, the whole trout and nothing but the trout..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: