Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Junction Shrimp

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Fly Database -> Salmon and Seatrout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Junction Shrimp Reply with quote

This one first came on the scene some time in the very late 80's or early 90's and was i believe the brainchild of Gavin Brown, one of the boatmen on the Junction beat of the Tweed, hence the name Junction Shrimp.

Originally developed with the idea of fishing in slightly coloured water, or as a complete colour contrast for those times at the back end, when a lot of leaves were in the river, it has arguably gained its deserved reputation, as a replacement for the whitewing patterns of old, which were fished during the last hour or so of fading light, during the short October and November days.

The Junction Shrimp certainly excels in this role, and has taken a fish for me on many an occasion during the twilight hours of a short Autumn day.

The original was dressed as per the picture below, but many now add short Jungle Cock cheeks, and this certainly aesthetically enhances the pattern to the human eye, however, as I have found no differential in the fish taking capabilities of either dressing, i save my precious JC for other patterns.

Hooks: Tubes 1" to 3" Plastic, Alumimium or Brass....(Extension trebles,,Sharper than the one pictured) Wink
Thread: Black 8/0
Tag: Oval Silver Tinsel
Body: Rear Half Scarlet Glo-Brite Floss (No4) - Front Half Black Floss
Rib: Oval Silver over full length of body.
Wing: Tied in two sections. The first section is of Orange Bucktail, which is tied in at the centre of the tube, after forming the rear half of the body/ribbing. The remaining section is of White Bucktail with 3 or four strands of pearl Krystal Flash intermingled, tied in at the head of the tube, after forming the front section of the body/ribbing. The White Bucktail should be about half of the length or a little more, of the Orange bucktail.
Cheeks: None or Jungle Cock
Head: Black (Red is sometimes used as an alternative)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Fly Database -> Salmon and Seatrout All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: