The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Del Brown's Merkin

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Database -> Saltwater
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Del Brown's Merkin Reply with quote

This fly has undoubtedly accounted for the downfall of more permit than any other, and was the invention of Del Brown who himself was the undisputed master when it came to catching Permit on the fly, having accounted for more than 500 during his lifetime.

The original was tied up utilising tan and brown rug yarn, but it can be tied in any number of colour combinations to suit the location you are fishing, and I have just finished tying a few up for my annual trip to Florida, so thought a couple of quick photos from the vice, might be useful

It has been well broadcasted that I am no Del Brown when it comes to catching Permit on the fly, but whilst I remain Permitless, I have caught Snapper, Jacks, and even a couple of small Tarpon on a Merkin, and tied in small sizes it is also a very good Bonefish fly.

Original Merkin

Olive & Grey Merkin Style Crab

Hook: Size 6 to 1/0 of your choice. Normally tied on standard shank hooks such as Mustad 34007, Tiemco 800s etc.,
Tying Thread: The original was tied with chartreuse thread, but your choice 8/0
Eyes: Lead Dumbells, Real Eyes, or similar, Weight and Size to suit location
Tail: 2 wide hackles in either tan or brown to represent claws, tan marabou and a few strands of root beer or pearl krystal flash
Body: The original version was made up alternating lengths of brown and tan rug yarn, which were then cut to shape, but EP
fibres are often used these days.
Legs: White or Tan rubber Sili Legs or Raineys, coloured at the tips with a red marker pen.

For some reason most examples of Merkins you will see are tied incorrectly, inasmuch as, with the dumbell eyes tied on the top of the hook, the body is then also tied on top, with the legs attached to the underside. The dumbell eyes will cause the fly to swim hook up, so the fish will actually be seeing the "Rough" side of the fly. Therefore if you are tying the dumbells on the top of the hook, you should invert the hook and tie the body on the underside of the shank, then return to its normal position and secure the legs on the top of the shank. (The flies above have been tied in this manner, and thus the fish will see the fly as they are in the photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Database -> Saltwater All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: