The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Whistlekiller's Pint Of Lager
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Whistlekiller's Pint Of Lager Reply with quote

For the last two weeks I've been fishing near Sousse in Tunisia. Fly fishing produced just one small Scissor-Tail to a small, sparsely dressed silver lure so a complete disaster there. Resorting to more barbaric tactics, I managed over 70 Gilt Head Bream (biggest only 10 inches long) on a three hook 40 gram beach-caster rig (attached to my telescopic float rod!) baited with ragworm. Most of these fish were caught at a range of approaching 100 yards out which entailed a quick wade out, cast and wade back. A bit of old drainpipe cadged from the hotel maintenance department and dug into the beach sufficed as a rod holder.

All fish were slaughtered (apart from the Scissor-Tail) and passed to the hotel chef for use on the evening buffets - very tasty as well I might add.

I had a quick carp session last night to put a proper bend in the rod and managed ten to 12lbs all on a black Klinkhammer. No pictures of any of this yet due to the usual problem of losing the camera cable..... Mad

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds exotic and fun, especially the carp on the klinkhammer bit.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WK welcome back nice report I will be looking forward to the pictures when you find the cable Very Happy
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossil-fish wrote:
the carp on the klinkhammer bit.
Very Happy

Still can't find the frigging cable but, since you ask, and in true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I did earlier this year, not on a black Klink though, a green and claret one!

You can just make out the fly in its mouth.

fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lose feeding those must be expensive.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunisia - interesting WK.

Visited the place quite a few years ago but not to fish glad you caught.

Cool
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossil-fish wrote:
Lose feeding those must be expensive.
Very Happy

Horrendous my friend, absolutely horrendous!! Twisted Evil

I should add that the carp seem to go in phases for what colour they seem to prefer.....no different to trout I suppose. When the above picture was taken I couldn't buy a bite on the black Klinks but now they seem to love it. No takes at all on the green and claret. No particular hatches were going on but there was a fall of money spiders so maybe this had an effect on the colour selection from the fish's point of view. Christ knows what the green and claret means to them!!

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few pictures from Tunisia:

The rod in its drainpipe and my fishing chair 6am in the morning:

A Dorad:

An appallingly hatted Whistlekiller and Dakna who pointed me in the direction of the local tackle shop:

And our hotel, 46 degrees at noon!

Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
And our hotel, 46 degrees at noon!

Shock No swimming pool Laughing
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fishing at all this weekend gone. Mad

After my holiday, back at the grind with too much to do at work and too much to do at home for anything much fishy related, even tying has ground to an ignominious halt as a result. Looks like the next proper outing will be Thornton and that's still three weeks away!

I know it's not fishing related but the one thing that's cheered me up recently was my younger daughter getting 14 GCSEs, 11 of which were A* and 3 As. So, well done Whistlekiller Petite, you've done yourself, me and your mum proud sweetheart!

Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Rich

That is really fantastic.
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That amphitheatre is fantastic, more complete than the Colosseum.
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to your daughter I have several years before this comes up and hope I have done as good a job as you and your wife Very Happy
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mrs. Whistlekiller had to go to a christening today so I sneaked out for a couple of hours to my usual carp pool. There was barely any wind, no clouds and the water was like glass. Unfortunately there was a severe algae bloom choking the margins all around the lake which seemed to push the carp out a bit further than usual. A lot of terrestrial insects were falling and the carp were having a bit of a field day with them so I took advantage with a well hackled claret hopper at about 15 yards range. The usual set up included a Greys GRX 8'6" 4# with a tapered leader finishing in 4lb tippet.

I really ought to stop going but it's convenient for a short session. It's always pretty easy there to be honest and and today was no different as I managed 12 carp in fairly short order.

One of these days I'm finally going to make use of my river ticket down near Grantham. I just haven't had the time and Peepingcaddis must think I've dropped off the planet. Hopefully things will turn around a bit and I'll be able to report on some proper fishing! Still, Thornton next week!! Very Happy

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Thornton Arse End....... Reply with quote

I didn't see any point in posting anything on here about Thornoton as that will be found elsewhere. Suffice to say, the three days I stayed there were excellent fun, although I didn't catch a lot of fish, but with the annual Thornton social, that doesn't really matter now does it? Twisted Evil

Anyway, after a leisurely drive back to London on Sunday, and seeing as I had a load of tackle in the back of the car, I called at Norton's trout fishery near Stapleford, Essex for a couple of hours fishing before making my way to the pub.

The lake is ostensibly a trout fishery, a fairly small one but contains large numbers of nice rudd which are always worth catching. Setting up my recently christened 10ft 4# Streamflex I began to attack a shoal of these rudd. The owner of the lake likes to transfer them to another pond so large keep nets are provided for storage until the end of the session. I had a 15ft leader/tippet down to 3lb with a point bloodworm suspender buzzer and a small silver buzzer on a dropper about 8ft back from this. I was happily extracting rudd after rudd and had changed to a small Diawl Bach on the point when the line went solid and to my surprise I found myself attached to a 2lb rainbow that must have been sifting through some of the smaller rudd in the shoal.

I landed and despatched the fish and then noticed what looked like an enormous pod of trout right out in front of me. My bleary eyes then registered the fact that these were carp! About thirty of them! One of them was enormous...........at least 30lbs. Now, I know for a fact that they wouldn't have been fed bait here so I guessed they must be natural feeders. This theory was confirmed when several of them made repeated charges into the rudd shoal hoovering up small fish with every attack.

I decided that attempting to catch the big fish on the 4wt would end in tears and a broken rod, so I targeted what looked to be a small gathering of smaller carp. twitching the DB back in front of them seemed to have no appreciable effect and having made one last attempt, I let the fly sink a bit further so I could light a Marlboro. I was talking to the owner across the bay as I picked up the retrieve when the shoal of carp all jumped simultaneously. I thought this was due to me clattering about on the decking but the next figure of eight produced a real shock. Not only had one of the carp taken the DB, it was now motoring off to my left with immense power.

Pulling myself together I attempted to turn the fish - to no avail. I started having visions of the really big fish attached but decided to compose myself and make sure I didn't f*** it all up. The benefit of the 10ft rod was put to good use negotiating a small tree in the margins as I scampered round the lake after the rapidly disappearing carp. A further 5 minutes of coarse languaqe and the assistance of the lake owner, who by now was stood next to me with the landing net finally resulted in this fish and it only weighed 6lbs!

I have caught hundreds of carp on a fly rod, some of which have been 20lb specimens but this was, by a massive margin, the hardest fight I've ever had from one. Obviously, as the official CFF Show-Off, I was forced to have this photo taken as well. Streamflex well and truly put through its paces! Very Happy

No fishing this weekend, but I'll hopefully catch a Croc at Chew next Saturday.

All the best chaps! Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: