The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Hares Ear Sugar Lump Emerger

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDickey
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Hares Ear Sugar Lump Emerger Reply with quote

Here is a SBS of the hares ear sugar lump emerger. Please excuse diff coloured backgrounds, under the table lamp my camera pics up different tones

1. Run a bed of thread to 1/3 length of the hook.

2. Next take the booby eye and chisel the end into a flat edge, this will make it easier to tie onto the hook.

3. Hold the tip of the booby eye in your left hand and hold in place over the front 1/3 of the hook.

4. Use a loose loop of thread whilst holding the foam and then pull tight and a few turns to secure should leave you with this.

5. Now run the thread over the excess foam to tidy up the body and to make it taper towards the foam. This will give it a better profile.

6. Next you want to tie in your rib material and run the thread down to the bend in the hook so keep an even profile. You can use any kind of rib here, be it tinsel, flexifloss or wire, I have opted for UTC Medium Red Tinsel.

7. Now you want to get your dubbing material, natural rabbit dubbing in this case.

8. Twist your dubbing onto your thread, you can use beeswax but I don't bother. Twist in one direction to make sure that the dubbing sticks to the thread.

9. Run the dubbing up to the tapered section of the head. This can be as messy as you want as it will have the rib to keep it in place when you have finished the fly.

10. Next wrap your rip up the body in even turns, leaving a gap between each turn for the dubbing to come out, wrap the opposite direction from the way you run your thread. This will keep the dubbing in place. Tie it in at the head and trim the excess.

11. Now dub more hares ear around the head, I tend to make this area thicker by using more dubbing. This is personal preference tho so do what you feel will work for the fly. I put a wee bit of dubbing under the foam directly behind the eye.

12. Whip finish, trim the foam to the desired length and you will be left with the emerger. You can varnish the head if you wish.

Enjoy

Chris Very Happy
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice s-b-s Chris. Like that.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: