The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Bristol Waters 2010 thread !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Tony and let me know if you can get the time off, Steve. Cool

Is there anyone else out there interested in Burton Springs on the Wednesday before Christmas? Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
C.B
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton Springs under new ownership Shock

Guess nothing stays the same for ever. I'll miss Tony's wifes sausage rolls and mince pies.

Not to mention our Bacon Butties Laughing

C.B Wink
dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you on here Mike ,certainly has been an interesting year ,hopefully getting out on the lakes more next year ,cant make the Burton social due to work Crying or Very sad Reading all the reports keeps me itching to get out there again , roll on next March
Geoff
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipper wrote:
Reading all the reports...

.... but not your PMs it seems! Laughing Laughing

Hope you can fish a bit more next season. Both you and C.B have been missed on the bank. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

DW
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall try and make the 22nd if it comes off. This has been my worst year for many in terms of getting out on the water - roll on retirement!!! I joined two clubs and only got out for one day on each!!! Sad Sad - what a bummer!
anyway, greetings to all, hope to meet up at Burton!
cheers
David dw
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good for the 22nd Alan Crying or Very sad .20,21st ok.cheers.Steve Neutral
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably make Burton for a morning session, but unfortunately with the uncertainties of work won't be able to confirm until the time.

It will be ice skating rather than fishing if it doesn't warm up by then! Very Happy
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Let's keep our powder dry and make a decision a few days before. Like I said, if I have some company then I'm more than happy to fish Burton Springs. However if I will be on my own then I'll go after the crocs instead, weather permitting. Smile

Bristol Waters 2010 results on their website have just been updated to 3rd December. http://www.bristolwater.co.uk/fishing/stats/index.asp

Looks like the final catch tally for the 2010 season will be just shy of 45,000 unless there are a lot more catch returns to be sent in. So far both the overall total and Chew are slightly down against last year, but Blagdon has fished better. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting press release from Bob this morning. Staggered opening which will affect us Very Happy
Some extracts...

After promising extra fish stockings, a record number of fish were planted into the lakes this year. Although these extra fish failed to produce record catches, rod catches at Chew and Blagdon were better than the previous year with 3.0 per rod at Chew (2.8 in 2009) and 3.4 at Blagdon (2.5).

[list]Opening days this year will be staggered at all the fisheries. Barrows will open its doors on Wednesday 2nd March, Blagdon on Wed 16th March and Chew Valley a week later on Wed 23rd March. Special days for season permit holders will be 1st March, 14th March and 21st March respectively. Closing dates will be 30th November.
Permit prices will increase this year. Day boats will go up by £1.50 per rod while bank fishers will have to pay an extra £1.00 per day. Season permits will also increase by a similar rate.

Chew Valley continues to be the place everyone wishes to fish for pike. Catches in February saw fish up to 40.08 caught but many of these larger fish failed to survive the very long, cold winter. The fly fishing during the summer was very disappointing but the autumn catches were very good although the very big fish were absent. Even so more than twenty fish weighing over 30lbs were landed, the biggest being 37.01.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
Really interesting press release from Bob this morning. Staggered opening which will affect us Very Happy
Some extracts...

After promising extra fish stockings, a record number of fish were planted into the lakes this year. Although these extra fish failed to produce record catches, rod catches at Chew and Blagdon were better than the previous year with 3.0 per rod at Chew (2.8 in 2009) and 3.4 at Blagdon (2.5).

[list]Opening days this year will be staggered at all the fisheries. Barrows will open its doors on Wednesday 2nd March, Blagdon on Wed 16th March and Chew Valley a week later on Wed 23rd March. Special days for season permit holders will be 1st March, 14th March and 21st March respectively. Closing dates will be 30th November.
Permit prices will increase this year. Day boats will go up by £1.50 per rod while bank fishers will have to pay an extra £1.00 per day. Season permits will also increase by a similar rate.

Chew Valley continues to be the place everyone wishes to fish for pike. Catches in February saw fish up to 40.08 caught but many of these larger fish failed to survive the very long, cold winter. The fly fishing during the summer was very disappointing but the autumn catches were very good although the very big fish were absent. Even so more than twenty fish weighing over 30lbs were landed, the biggest being 37.01.

That will be the diet of coarse fish then Sad

I have made no secret of the fact of my sadness that one of "Europes premier trout fisheries " should now be classified as "The place to be for pike".

We shall see what 2011 brings but I hope it is consistent sport from trout well spread across the lake with a good smattering of overwintered beauties.

Merry Christmas guys

Doug
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the letter interesting for a number of reasons, not least that Bristol Water appear to acknowledge that its pike fishing is no longer a periferal activity but an equally important part of their angling offer at Chew. What other explanation can there be for giving both the pike and trout fishing equal prominence in the letter and for delaying the start of the trout season by a week to accomodate a late pike fishing session during March, no doubt in an attempt to capitalise on the important 'pre- spawn' period?

No doubt about it now. Bristol Water are doing the only thing they can by accepting the inevitable and managing Chew as both a trout and pike water. This isn't impossible to achieve - Rutland, Grafham and Pitsford to name but three reservoirs all offer restricted pike fishing and they even have Zander too ... http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/what-to-do/fishing/pike/ alongside excellent fly fishing for trout.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan - I think the difference between Chew and the Midland reservoirs is that it is much shallower as well as being a lot smaller than Grafham and Rutland. I for one would be quite happy to fish for trout alongside predator fishermen PROVIDING I was getting the quality of sport that used to be on offer.

The old adage of "lies damn lies and statistics" springs to mind when I read of average catch rate. We all know that for months on end the fish were "kettled" (topical at the moment Wink ) into a small area off Wally with stories of limits within an hour or so of fishing. We have had 2 poor years and I really do hope that BW DO manage the situation to make 2011 a better year for trout fishermen going afloat. Smile

Cheers

Doug
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for Burton springs as is Jamie
Will bring my lad along as well.

T

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
.... I for one would be quite happy to fish for trout alongside predator fishermen PROVIDING I was getting the quality of sport that used to be on offer.

That has to be the way forward, Doug. The quality of the pike fishing will only continue for as long as BW can maintain Chew as a popular and successful trout fishery. Smile

Toby
Good news! Now lets hope the lake isn't completely frozen over on the day. Will firm up plans (and probably a fly tying materials order Wink ) nearer the day. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[u][b]but many of these larger fish failed to survive the very long, cold winter.[/b][/u]

Does this mean there were alot of dead pike around the lake?
If the big ones have died then you will have a lot more jacks.
Fryfishing

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 67 of 69

Jump to: