The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Spinner's Fishing Diary
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Spinner's Fishing Diary Reply with quote

Life long friends are hard to come by.

It was the 24th of September. The phone rang. It was my buddy Frank Denallo from Cleveland on the phone. He usually calls me and jokes with me and asks how the fishing was. This phone call was different. His tone on the phone was different than usual. I could tell something was wrong from the get go.

Frank and his buddy Erik Springer use to be clients of mine when I guided. I did the guide thing with them a couple times and we became good friends. When I quit guiding, I still continued fishing with them each Fall and Spring when they drove up all the way from Cleveland to Southern Wisconsin to trout fish with me.

They always camped and lived life to the fullest. Their camp site was a fun place to hang out. Lots of camp fire stories/lies were told on the banks of the Kickapoo River. Many beers dank and many wild crazy stories were told. Frank and Erik loved to trout fish and it was evident in their zest for sport. There was friendly competition and a little rivalry. Frank and Erik were the best of friends and it was a joy to fish with them because it was obvious they loved fishing and really enjoyed each others company.

Frank and Erik had just been up fishing with me about 4 days prior and they had an excellent 10 days fishing the Driftless Area. They packed up their vehicle and head back to Cleveland. I got a call from Frank to tell me that they had arrived back home. They had five more days to fish and they were NOT going to waste a second of it. They decided to hit the stream around Cleveland before they went back to work.

I assumed Frank was calling me to give me a fish report. That was not the case. Frank and Erik had fished non-stop for 3 days and Frank needed to regroup and get some sleep. Frank and Erik made their battle plans and Frank needed to sleep a little because he was burnt out from all the fishing and driving in the last 2 weeks. Erik dropped off Frank and off he went after noon to hit another stream before work called and destroyed their wonderful vacation.

Erik did not make it to the stream. Frank was calling me from the hospital. Erik must have fallen asleep behind the wheel and hit a tree at 55 miles an hour. The impact was on the passenger side and the vehicle was basically wrapped around the tree. If Frank had been in the passenger seat he surely would have died.

Erik sustained many injuries and was on life support. He had a skull fracture and brain swelling and the doctors had him in a drug induced comma until his swelling came down. Erik was on ventilator and had a tracheotomy and breathing tube in place. He had many broken bones and was NOT expected to make it. Frank was going to stay there as long as he could and keep a watchful eye over his buddy Erik. They finally kicked him out of the hospital when visiting hours were closing.

Frank has called me once a week since the accident. Two months ago Frank called me and said out of the blue Erik woke up and wanted the breathing tubes removed. Erik could not talk because of the surgery he had to put the ventilator in place. Frank was so happy he called me right away. Erik has had about 5 surgeries since then and is now in physical therapy to try to be able to walk again. Erik does not remember the crash and lost lots of short term memory. He is already talking about going fishing this spring in Wisconsin with me.

Life is precious. Life long friends are hard to come by. What is even harder to come by is a good friend that enjoys your love of fishing and the outdoors. The next time you go fishing you should treat it like it could be Your Last Day Fishing.

Frank Denallo (Goat Boy)

Erik Springer (Springer)
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 July 2011

first day going to try for slam

second day i am going to abuse the brookies

third day I am going to go hog huntin.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 Aug 2011

Some great shots spinner from a helmet cam what make & model is it.

I am currently trying to decide what to buy but have discovered doing so
is quite involved.

The only make of vid cam I have seen available here is Tachyon in various
models offering :-

90 or 180 degree
Std or HD
Waterproof or not

Any advice appreciated.
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 Aug 2011

was a borrowed cam.
not sure on name brand
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

spinner wrote:
17 Aug 2011

was a borrowed cam.
not sure on name brand

18 Aug 2011

A friend & myself have just ordered a couple of these .... seem to
be terrific value for what they are.

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2010/04/20/tachyon-xc-micro-helmet-camera-review/
Chris
Site Admin

19 Aug 2011

Barry, what do you want from your helmet cam?
What about the Go Pro?

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 Aug 2011

Chris wrote:
Barry, what do you want from your helmet cam?
What about the Go Pro?

In a nutshell Chris want is the operate word rather than need for before
someone on a local fishing forum mentioned them I barely knew they existed then
a want quickly transformed into a need ... as so often happens at the prospect of a new toy.

So got to thinking altho oblivious of the fact of how deprived I have been without such an
"essential" piece of equipment & missed out on movie clips whilst on or by the water without
fear of falling in ( which I do rather regularly ) ruining yet another piece of electronic wonderment.

So with this new toy hopefully can take above & below water movie clips as well as taking it
out in the boat .... then bore you guys with endless poorly shot clips posted to the forum.

Reading the reviews below it appears we may have made a good choice with the Tachyon micro
for the sort of things we tink we want need to do ... ie amatuer movie clips both on/under
& above water at a reasonable cost.

Sure the Gopro probably a more "professional" option but possibly abit more complex to operate
which is a distinct disadvantage for a technophobe plus isquite a bit more expensive.

We are landing the T/Micro here in a few days for NZ$150 ea plus card 8GB & batteries bringing it
to abouy $180 = approx 90 pounds so imo was too good a deal to let go.

I suppose you going to tell me now, I could have brought one in the UK (when over in Oct) for 1/2 that.

http://www.helmetcamreview.com/MicroCams.htm

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2010/04/20/tachyon-xc-micro-helmet-camera-review/

PS going to the FF film festival Wed night ..... did you manage to contact them re your "Shadows" DVD?

If so might ask them to put yours aside in favour of screening some of my forthcoming gems.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,
Casting At Shadows DVD is released on 31st August and we will be sending a copy for them to use hopefully!

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 Aug 2011

I was disappointed in the tunnel quality of the movies and the crazy short storage space and battery life.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner wrote:
I was disappointed in the tunnel quality of the movies and the crazy short storage space and battery life.

In which model?

Re storage space .........

The micro accepts either 4, 8 or 32 gb cards which give up to 8 hrs filming which
is a lot more than most. This can be increased significantly of course by carrying
an extra card/cards & batteries.

Not quite sure what you mean by "tunnel quality" perhaps angle of vision?

OK it has 90 degree range of vision which is fine by me with the option of the HD
model which is much wider but I am told wider range options often risk a bit of "edge fuzz"

As with most w/proof cameras apparently sound is compromised as a result of the mic
being sealed altho improves dramatically if sealing access door left open, which of course
not an option for u/water use.

Looking at the sample video results from the jetski clips ... reckon if I can get anywhere near
that result will be more than happy.
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 Sept 2011

Leon called me this morning about 9:30am. I told him I was a member of the walking wounded and I was more than likely done for the season. My left knee is really swollen and tender. Leon was disappointed but I gave him a couple locations where to fish. He asked me where the biggest fish I knew was. He is staying in Richland Center. He wanted a close fix.

Leon called me from the stream to verify he was in the right place. I oked his placement and start place. He called half way through the fishing this evening. He had caught a few smaller trout. I asked him exactly where he was at. I told him to put a new 3X leader on and I also told him exactly where the fish typical lays.

Leon just got off the phone with me. He was walking on air. Leon Hooked/Landed/Photographed his biggest small stream Wisconsin trout ever. He took a photo along side of the rod and will give it to me tomorrow. He guesses the male trout between 21 and 25 inches.

Check back for the photo later.

I love it.....I don't even need to be with guys...just give them directions. Leon caught it on a size 10 bloody bugger barbless that I gave him to go after it with.. The battle was about 5 minutes.
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 Sept 2011

a 5 minute fight on a fly rod doesn't sound long....

but i bet it seemed like an eternity at sunset with a huge trout on your line.

Leon was soooo excited and his southern drawl was hard to understand.

He called me right after he released it to thank me.

He said his hands were shaking sooo much he could hardly dial the phone
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 Sept 2011

female bow....very respectable
spinner
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 Dec 2011

One week after speaking at Seneca Schools I received a huge manila envelope of wonderful "Thank You"

Cards from some of the elementary students from Seneca

I spoke at Seneca Schools. The morning was 9-12 grades.

The afternoon was K-8.

Both times I talked the kids were enamored with my presentation and had lots of questions.

Makes me smile every time I think about it. I put some of the cards in a frame and it is on my wall.
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 Dec 2011

That's beautiful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: