The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

The Algarve,Portugal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: The Algarve,Portugal Reply with quote

Hi all,

I will be visiting the Algarve(Carveiro) for my summer hols this year. Has anyone fished this area before on the fly or have any info?

Any info would be appreciated.

Mark
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming you are talking of fly fishing from the shore.....Forget about it, don't bother mate, just soak up the sun, drink the local beer (Sagres) enjoy the terrific food, and friendly atmosphere, and forget all thoughts of fishing, until you get back to the UK... The fishing in the Uk salt is 10 times better, and I I don't even bother in the UK!!

The one exception might just be the mullet if you want to have a go at them, but honestly, my first paragraph contains the soundest of advice as far as Fly Fishing the Algarve is concerned Wink Wink
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
Thanks for the advice.
Is it really THAT bad ?. It will be a major undertaking for me not to pack my rod.
Of course if i didn't fish and told the other half that spending time with the family etc was more important i would earn a vast amount of brownie points.
Mark
guinness138
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the inland rivers had good sized carp in them, but certain foreign immigrants seem to have eaten them all
flybye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been to Portugal for man years but had some fun on the surf beaches at Sagres early and late in the day. Bass along the rocks at the sides of the bay and garfish with little white flies in the wave wash in inches of water.
TK
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

A little "tongue in cheek" I admit, but I have been to Portugal many many times, and during recent years have spent my time in and around Burgau, where my friend who owns a villa keeps a god deal of first class tackle permanently. Whilst in the early days, I was out exploring the fishing potential at every opportunity, quite frankly, it is pretty poor, and over the past 5 years or so, I have taken my own advice, and not bothered.

There are plenty of mullet to be had in the various harbours and marinas that is for sure, and if these float your boat, then you could enjoy yourself sight fishing, as with the water being particularly clear they are very easy to spot.....The only problem I envisage here, is that whilst you often see the locals fishing for the mullet, I have never seen anyone fly fish, and it could be construed as being quite dangerous, bearing in mind location and people that will be walking about.

However, if you want to give it a go, probably the best places to try are Portimao which is about 17km west of where you are staying, or even better, Lagos with is 35km away. Lagos is probably the better bet as its marina is huge, and whilst you may be stopped from fly fishing on the built up side, other than at high water you can fish the opposite main road side which is natural bank, and does not get tourists or locals walking along it, as the pavement and main road are situated behind, but way above the natural banks.

The best of the shore fishing as Flybe quite rightly says is in the Sagres and Cabo de St Vincente area, where there are indeed bass to be had. It is however some distance from where you are staying, and being the most westerly tip of Europe, whilst a spectacular place with its huge cliffs and rocky outcrops, it is almost always very windy, being exposed to the full force of the Atlantic, and some of the swells are breathtaking.....If you wanted to fly fish, you would need to be there very early or very late, and maybe even into the night.
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a surf trip to Morocco. I have NEVER seen so many bass in the water. Every rocky point we surfed they were milling around on the surface and jumping out. I almost had one hit me in teh face when I was paddling for a wave - must have been about six or seven pounds.
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys.

I hadn't planned on travelling any great distance to fish whilst im there. I think a drive to Morocco might be overdoing it even if its full of Bass.
I will probably still take some basic kit just in case something crops up locally.
Mark
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check out the law regarding fishing in the harbours. If it's anything like Spain or the Spanish Islands it could be illegal. A few years ago, me and my mate were moved on at gunpoint by a rather over-enthusiastic copper on a rib whilst fishing in Cala'n Bosch harbour in Menorca. You'd have enjoyed watching that Mark! Very Happy

Mind you, if there's carp to be had further inland I'd definitely give it a go. Some of the bastards are reckoned to be huge over there. Make sure you pack your brown corduroy beach shorts with elasticated legs in case you fancy a go! Twisted Evil

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
I have never tried for Carp before,i will investigate further. Also away from the salt i know that the local rezzies hold Bass. I was debating to hire a guide for the day to take me out in a boat somewhere.
In regards to enjoying seeing you at gunpoint,you have the completely wrong idea about me..
Cheers,
Mark
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Very Happy

If you do get a chance for carp you'll not regret it. I've had a lot of luck with large emerger/klinkhammer type patterns substituting a ball of polystyrene done up in tights for the antron wing post. Size 10 or 12. I've no idea what Portugese carp prefer but over here they seem to like a maroon or red body with a copper tinsel rib. Also, red bloodworms attached NZ to the dry have produced but be careful if there are a lot of fish about as I hooked two on one occasion and it's not something I'd care to repeat!

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Hengemaster
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that there's decent shark fishing offshore, and that it represents one of the best places to have a chance of catching a blue shark on fly, with a chance of a mako as well.
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hengemaster wrote:
I believe that there's decent shark fishing offshore, and that it represents one of the best places to have a chance of catching a blue shark on fly, with a chance of a mako as well.

I would be very careful in this respect. Most of the main holiday resorts along the Algarve have so called "Sport Fishing" operations, and indeed mightily impressive their boats are. However, most are really catering for the holiday maker who is looking for a day out, rather than the experienced fisherman, and often the tackle supplied, is sub standard to say the least.

I don't for one moment purport to know this to be the case with every operator, indeed whilst I was over earlier this year, there was an operation out of Lagos Marina, which took my interest, but on the whole the offshore boats are mainly for the tourists rather than the dedicated fisherman, and as such, I doubt anyway, that they would allow you to fly fish, unless of course you booked the whole boat to yourself.

I know Keith A researched this in great detail last year on behalf of Tightlines, and could find only one pukker offshore outfit, and they are based right on the Portuguese/Spanish border, well away from the main Algarve resorts.

If it is of any interest, here is their website, although I see, this operation now appears to be up for sale......http://www.reefcatfishing.com/
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
I also came across this company and even went as far as e-mailing them for a quote even though it would probably be above my budget. Anyhow they didn't reply and i never bothered re-sending the mail. Maybe their no longer in business.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Mark
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Yeah, Portugal is a lovely country with great friendly people, and I go there almost every year for break, but after much searching and more than my fair share of disappointments, I came to the conclusion long ago, that if you are a SW fisher, it is so not the place to go......This is what I get up to instead for a a week or so most years:- (Sun, Food & Drink!) Only wish the villa was my own....Still I get it for nowt most times Wink Wink Wink

SUN!!!

MORE SUN!

FOOD!

DRINK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: