The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Strike indicator flies

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Strike indicator flies Reply with quote

Does anyone use these and can post pics? I’ve used “trapped air technology” and a big booby before, but looking to tie up something a bit more subtle – maybe a hopper-style thing with a big foam post. Any ideas most welcome.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never found indicator flies to be that effective on the reservoirs but then it's the buzzers underneath that I'd be expecting to catch on whilst fishing with one anyway. Had a few fish on a big claret klinkhamer with a foam post and see no reason why a hopper tied the same wouldn't work but if you're using 15' plus fluorocarbon leader and three flies underneath you need a fair wad of foam to keep the indicator on the surface for any length of time using co-polymer or fewer flies / short flurocarbon leader a simple klinkhamer with a hi vis post or even a stimulator ok for me especially on the river.

Last edited by Paul on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
hellbound
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i got no pics on the pc at the mo il sort that out later , i use an shuttlecock with a load of cdc i find that keeps up 2 small buzzerrs ,but i do use a lot of cdc and i dont fish that deep top 5ft at a push . il sort out a few pics later coz my writeing is not the best at discribin what i mean

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
naisreka
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours can be your choice, but it works well on the still waters, never had it out on the rivers

The Pimp
[b]
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found the problem with using flies as indicators is that they do not go through the top ring of the rod, so with long leaders I use a length of foam tube (booby tube). I thread the line through it with a darning needle and the pull it over the braided loop. This gives you the option of it moving down the leader when trying to net a fish.
I do grease up a fly on a short leader some times but with short leaders I find I do not need an indicator.
If it comes to hanging buzzers at a set depth it is back to the foam and leader length.
At Farmoor some of the locals use indicators the size of a ping pong ball, this is for a style of fishing that was covered in Fly fishing and fly tying some months back.
Indicators are a black art, you can not hide behind making them into a fly.
Fryfishing

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naisreka, The fly you show is very close to the infamous "Barrow mouse" which has gained a reputation over the last few years in the Bristol area. So much so that the local water company have taken measures to restrict the way it was normally fished, i.e. totally static & on the bottom.

There are quite a few colour variations but the most popular seem to be either the rear 2/3 white with a chartr, front & red tail. & all olive green with an olive floss tail with a couple of strands of crystal-flash mixed in. Both patterns are on Kamasan B160 #6's & tied with kevlar thread for speed & durability.

I know this fly is fished at the opposite end of the water table, but I see no reason why they can't also be fished on top.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
BlankDay
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use a sedge hog or a half hog tied in different sizes with brown, claret or green bodies and hang a weighted GRHE nymph or a PT from that (occasionally a couple of buzzers). Works well for me at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: