The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Tench on the fly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Tench on the fly Reply with quote

Have any of you fluff chuckers caught any tench on fly , if so how Laughing obversley there are certain flies that might get a look, but is there any techniques that should be employed Wink
Gaz
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tench on the fly Reply with quote

barbus wrote:
Have any of you fluff chuckers caught any tench on fly , if so how Laughing obversley there are certain flies that might get a look, but is there any techniques that should be employed Wink
Gaz

I like fly-angling for coarse fish but I've not caught a tench myself despite my best efforts. I have however met a man who has. A few years ago in the CFF Species Challenge, Skateboard Dave, who specializes in catching coarse fish on the fly, managed the feat. I'd have to check back through the posts but if it was like any of his other catches I would suspect that it was on either a very small bloodworm pattern or a small spider.

His technique, when I went fishing with him for the day, was to rig three or four small flies (he has used as many as 12 on one cast) on a very light leader spaced apart by only a foot or so and then lob it into the margins whilst watching a small ball of floating putty attached to the end of his fly line. As soon as it twitched he struck - and he was incredibly quick at this. I didn't actually see him catch a tench but the theory would have been the same for the ones he did catch. Dave also has the distinction of having hooked and landed a 20lb+ carp on a 0# rod. Figure that one out.......... Very Happy

Matt Hayes, as far as I know is the only person to have caught a tench by fly on video. As a matter of fact, it was a golden tench strain caught at Anglers Paradise off the top, a most unusual occurence for any tench capture.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
greenock
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched that one with Matt Hayes he was using a bread fly.

"Unbelievable Jeff"

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/greenock_photos/
wull
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i got a Tench of about 4lb on a peach booby stripped fast on rutland...photo's on this site somewhere
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tench on the fly Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
barbus wrote:
Gaz

I like fly-angling for coarse fish but I've not caught a tench myself despite my best efforts. I have however met a man who has. A few years ago in the CFF Species Challenge, Skateboard Dave, who specializes in catching coarse fish on the fly, managed the feat. I'd have to check back through the posts but if it was like any of his other catches I would suspect that it was on either a very small bloodworm pattern or a small spider.

His technique, when I went fishing with him for the day, was to rig three or four small flies (he has used as many as 12 on one cast) on a very light leader spaced apart by only a foot or so and then lob it into the margins whilst watching a small ball of floating putty attached to the end of his fly line. As soon as it twitched he struck - and he was incredibly quick at this. I didn't actually see him catch a tench but the theory would have been the same for the ones he did catch. Dave also has the distinction of having hooked and landed a 20lb+ carp on a 0# rod. Figure that one out.......... Very Happy

Matt Hayes, as far as I know is the only person to have caught a tench by fly on video. As a matter of fact, it was a golden tench strain caught at Anglers Paradise off the top, a most unusual occurence for any tench capture.

Seems quite a task then Laughing at halliford mere there are some big tench 6lb+ im always seeing them and have on occasions tried a blood worm in front of them ,to no avail, i often fish were the tench fizz thinking this will attract browns which has worked, but never a look from tinca Sad A bread fly makes sense , even an egg fly could look like a small boilee, ive seen the odd one surface , but with the weed growth there most of the time they are heads down and close in, not really bothered by us fluff chuckers. will have to get my thinking cap on, some big eels have been seen by myself and big perch too, not to mention the pike, wondering what else is in there Rolling Eyes Is there such a thing as an "0" rod Shock Cheers Gaz
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wull wrote:
yes i got a Tench of about 4lb on a peach booby stripped fast on rutland...photo's on this site somewhere

Thats got to be a first Laughing never seen a tench move fast until its hooked ROFL ROFL Gaz
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info......

The bloodworm patterns were small, size 16/18/20 grub hooks (de-barbed), gold head version on the point and the rest without. Red thread bodies with a thin wire rib and red marabou tail. I've still got some of the ones he tied for me way back so I'll take some photos and post them when I get a minute. He also used very light tippet, maybe 3lb BS or less. Droppers were very short, an inch perhaps.

A tench taking a fast stripped booby is an incredible event. Tench have to be one of the most sedate species of fish in our lakes and rivers! Shock

barbus wrote:
Is there such a thing as an "0" rod

Oh yes Gaz, in fact there are some lighter than that. Here's a link to a 000# Sage. The Americans seem to have a thing about them.

Sage Elite

Tiny stuff. Very Happy

barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
Further info......

The bloodworm patterns were small, size 16/18/20 grub hooks (de-barbed), gold head version on the point and the rest without. Red thread bodies with a thin wire rib and red marabou tail. I've still got some of the ones he tied for me way back so I'll take some photos and post them when I get a minute. He also used very light tippet, maybe 3lb BS or less. Droppers were very short, an inch perhaps.

A tench taking a fast stripped booby is an incredible event. Tench have to be one of the most sedate species of fish in our lakes and rivers! Shock

barbus wrote:
Is there such a thing as an "0" rod

Oh yes Gaz, in fact there are some lighter than that. Here's a link to a 000# Sage. The Americans seem to have a thing about them.

Sage Elite

Tiny stuff. Very Happy

Wouldnt fancy a 3lb tippet with these tench ,big fat fellos, funny the british tench record was caught just down the road Shock not sure if it still stands and its a day ticket water , ive had 6lb fish out of it before using dried blood in my groundbait :lol:the waters hardly fished for some reason , might give it another go sometime Very Happy What on earth are those yanks on, do they use cotton for line Razz seems rather silly to me. Gaz
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbus wrote:

Wouldnt fancy a 3lb tippet with these tench ,big fat fellos, funny the british tench record was caught just down the road Shock not sure if it still stands and its a day ticket water , ive had 6lb fish out of it before using dried blood in my groundbait :lol:the waters hardly fished for some reason , might give it another go sometime Very Happy What on earth are those yanks on, do they use cotton for line Razz seems rather silly to me. Gaz

Would that happen to be at Sheepwalk Gaz?
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flybysage wrote:
barbus wrote:

Would that happen to be at Sheepwalk Gaz?

Mmmmmmmmm
or the one down Ferry Lane!!!!
Laughing
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tizwas sheepwalk, i was talking about Very Happy fink it still belongs to feltham piscatorials the day ticket was only a few quid Very Happy
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0 weights are nothing but a marketing ploy. On the subject of tench a yellow eggfly should look close enough to a piece of sweetcorn Wink

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
0 weights are nothing but a marketing ploy.

A bit different to those bloody great pokers you're fond of eh Chris?

A good corn-fly would be a single yellow booby eye wrapped in a section of tights and whipped to the bend of a B110. Dub some fur to hide the shank of the hook and then whip in a short loop of mono near the eye onto which can be attached a split shot sufficient to sink the foam. This should give an effect similar to a pop-up, wafting the imitation corn ball tantalizingly just off the bottom.

Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbus wrote:
Tizwas sheepwalk, i was talking about Very Happy fink it still belongs to feltham piscatorials the day ticket was only a few quid Very Happy

Thought so Gaz! Also heard when I was a member of Feltham Piscatorials that the large gravel pit held some record bream as well!
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot you after Gaz

one of these?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Smile Smile Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
drink ROFL ROFL ROFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: