The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Would a Universal Flex Rating benefit us?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smudger564

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Would a Universal Flex Rating benefit us? Reply with quote

Hi, Iv'e been wondering how to word this, but here goes. Some months ago, I was talking with Stevie Parkes, of Zenith Fly Rods and latterly with a leading retailer and got to thinking of what would benefit the new rod buyer.

Besides the look of a rod, it's furniture and fittings if you will, how would a new rod be able show it's power? When you pick a rod up, you don't know it's true potential until you try it.

Some retailers don't have a trial area, where you can put the rod through it's paces. So what can we do to help the new rod purchaser, in having some idea of what he is spending his money on? The answer has to be a Universal Rating system, similar to that of fly line ratings.

It doesn't have to be difficult either. For instance, you could use a semi-circle with the easy casting action on the left, middle to tip in the centre and Fast tip on the right. We've all seen rods, depicted as crisp actioned or more middle than tip, but a better description, would be a diagram that is simple and straight forward. A picture paints a thousand words they say.

Why let someone spend money unnecessarily, when in the blink of an eye, they have an idea of a rods, flex and it's true characteristcs. I think this would benefit everyone and save time and money.

The only difficult part now, is getting people to see what they think about it, plus any other recommendations.

If you think this is feasable then let me know. I'd be interested in your comments.

Best Regards

Smudger564
smudger564

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: can't see the woods for the trees!!! Reply with quote

Iv'e just finished four nights of work, racking my brain, thinking why am I driving this, against the current of thinking? You boys have told me NO! there is now way, the manufacturers are going to change their minds.

Contraversial Thinking, Yes. Everyone has said, and I apologise for being a bit niave Mr Maughan, Scotty9, Andreb, Fredaevans and the swathe of people who tried to push me in the right direction. On bended knee, Sorry.

I am Barking.......... Up the wrong tree, that it is? I'm not going to change the British public's opinion. Steve Cullen - Today's Flyfisher told me that, last night. How right he was, but like a bolt out of the blue, it hit me.

I am looking at the wrong target!! Why didn't I think of it before. Join in if you want. Who are the very people who have a direct effect on the manufacturers profits and losses, besides the buying public?

The Fishing Tackle Retailers. Who have I told about this thread? Well lets see and in no particular order, Gareth Jones - Airflo/Fishtec, Russell Weston - Snowbee, Russell Hill - Trout Fisherman, Wychwood, Shimano, Svendsen-sport, Sharpes, Guideflyfishing, Rio Products, Hywel Morgan, AAPGAI HQ, Illtyd Griffiths, Gary Coxon, Karl Humphries and a bag load of other people with whom I can't remember.

Why am I telling you this? Because not one person said, the Retailers hold the key to this. They buy into the marketting and hype and the manufacturers watch, using analysts and marketting strategy to sell more. The newer rod, the better reel than the last one etc.

Now I know, who I have to convince on the Universal Rod Flex Rating. Would you help me please? Pass on what you've seen, heard and typed on this thread, to the retailers. Invite people to read this and to pass on their thoughts and comments. It may take it little longer beacuse, we've been hiding in the woods, but now that we're beyong the trees, people can see how important public opinion really is.

I can't be the only one who thinks like this can I?

Best Regards

Smudger564
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: