The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Which is the better grip for target casting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smudger564

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Which is the better grip for target casting? Reply with quote

Question Hi, Iv'e seen several film clips, showing different grips used for target casting. In some cases, these people are very accurate, though not all use the same grip. For instance, a few suggest the forefinger on top as if pointing, while others say use what you usually fish with. Is there a better grip style?

Regards

Smudger564
Greg H.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finger on top (FOT) style is very accurate because of the success we have all had over the years pointing at things. This style restricts wrist movement backward and wrist twist as well, so the cast (rod tip) moves in a more straight line and a large casting arc is avoided. Thus the loop is tighter and the line goes straight(er) to the target.

However, the forefinger is not as strong as the thumb, so IMO the FOT style is not as good for distance, which for some might be anything beyond 45ft.

Most casting games with trout rods have a limit of about 55-60ft to the farthest target. So you would have to determine whether to change grips for the last couple of targets.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can reach your target, whether short or long distance, with accuracy using either finger or thumb on top or whatever other method you've evolved then that is the correct way for you. We are all different and provided you enjoy the way you have chosen to pursue and achieve the desired results with it then that is all that matters. Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conventional wisdom has it that fore-finger on top is to be preferred for accuracy but as already noted its probable effectiveness becomes less as distance increases due to its relative biomechanical 'weakness'.

A grip that's not been mentioned is the Borger 'V' grip (or 3 point grip) and one which provides an excellent compromise.

Here's a useful link to an explanation of grip provided by Lee Cummings (AAPGAI)
http://www.aapgai.co.uk/articles/single_handed/sh_article_3.html

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned in relation accuracy is stance - primarily the closed, right foot forward (if you're a right handed caster) stance. Much like a darts player taking a shot.
Greg H.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse wrote:
Another factor that hasn't been mentioned in relation accuracy is stance - primarily the closed, right foot forward (if you're a right handed caster) stance. Much like a darts player taking a shot.

This is an important point. I have competed in several Canadian Casting Championships (a few bronze medals collected), and know for sure that member of our club cast with the foot forward (closed stance) that is on the same side as the casting arm. This position blocks rotation of the shoulders, inhibits forward/back rock, and helps with a firm stop to the forward cast (tight loops).
The other technique is to ensure your elbow points at the target on the cast. Grip is much less important as long as the wrist doesn't rotate (not meaning back and forth but meaning left to right) and stays constant throughout.
I competitions (as long as the fly doesn’t sink on the cast) it is OK to really smack it into the target – no lazy float-downs, especially outdoors in a breeze.
Dreamofgod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed you for a long time You answer the questions very label
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamofgod wrote:
I followed you for a long time You answer the questions very label

Yes, I think that'll be all God. Rolling Eyes

BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be the perfect opportunity to finally find out what God thinks of Blobs!
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
This could be the perfect opportunity to finally find out what God thinks of Blobs!

Very label.
Neutral

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:

God has rather blotted his copybook here Dave. I doubt he'll be giving his opinion on anything anytime soon. Cool Wink

Alexa Bliss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use epoxy wood to replicate finger and palm shape over my different grip.
I'll take all from a Rink grip that fit me well, and then squeeze the new shape on a existing grip with fresh epoxy wood (oil the original mold to separate pieces). Function quite well but not perfect obviously because i cannot make one single mold for all the grip because of the different curves and angle of the wood; so i made a cast for the finger, cast for the palm and another cast for the line under the palm with finger union.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am left handed but just to confuse the issue I am also 90% blind in my left eye. Nevertheless, I can cast good distances and have good accuracy on both river and stillwater.
My grip when fishing left handed is a trigger grip with the forefinger supporting the cork grip. However, I can also cast right handed when needed, especially on a river. I regard this as a "get out of jail" method that allows me to get at a fish that I can't reach when casting left handed. If I still feel I can achieve the same result with my left hand it will be by casting across the front of my body, ie sending the line over my right shoulder instead of the left.

However, as soon as I switch to my right hand my grip automatically changes to the forefinger on top. This is not something I have done consciously. It just happens. My right handed casting is not as accurate as the left and neither can I get the same distance, though I suspect that I could if I practised more on that aspect. It is the changing of the grip that puzzles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Fly Casting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: