The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Halliford Mere 13/11 and new PB

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Halliford Mere 13/11 and new PB Reply with quote

I had an afternoon at the mere today. Started out testing my pike flies, John Norris big fly inter and 8wt rod on lake 4 just to see if I can cast them and what I was letting myself in for. All went well but no sign of any toothy critters - water very clear and dead still. So sauntered onto 3 and set up my 5wt for the trout. I `couldnt see anything moving on 3 or 2 so found myself on the lhs of the point on lake 1. There was a very occasional riser towards the house bank but wasn't having it when I caught sight of some movement back along the extreme left of the point casting back along the point. First cast locked up and my montana was well and truly hooked into a fish. After a dogged fight and some assistance from a neighbouring angler I folded this woppa into my net...

weighed in at 8.5lb on the other chaps scales Shock Laughing Laughing might have been bigger as they weren't zeroed and didn't register the weight of my net - the chap thought it might be a double.
After a few minutes of resus moby swam off strongly Cool

Thanks to the other chap for extending my net and taking photo's - I was shaking too much to do it meself!

Cheers

Roger
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish,well done Cool and a PB Cool Laughing
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the PB Roger Cool Even if you were unsure of the correct weight - it was certainly BIG Wink

Glad to see you had a practice with your pike setup - see you at Centre Lake Cool Very Happy .... Tony
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog,out of interest anything else occuring whilst there?
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chub1 wrote:
Rog,out of interest anything else occuring whilst there?

I think most people had a few, 3 or 4, but nothing spectacular. Pete (a regular) said he had a couple of tries for a double sized fish in the margins - it took the fly but both times the hook didn't connect on strike - must have been frustrating Grin ROFL ROFL It was dead still and the lakes are very clear and I couldn't really see anything rising so I thinks its still fairly tough going Sad although with bigger fish seeming to be in the margins perhaps they are starting to bulk up for winter.

Thanks for the congrats Chris and Tony - I think it will be some time at Halliford before I beat that for weight, although I wouldn't mind a brownie half the size Cool

Cheers
Roger
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BITCH Laughing its a tiddler Shock nice one Rog, good to see someone getting those bigger fish out Mad Gaz off to cry now Crying or Very sad

Peter bloody lives there now hes got a season ticket Shock no wonder he gets fish , he wont leave them alone Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: