The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Middy Animal Tamer Combi 14/16/18ft Waggler Rod - Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Middy Animal Tamer Combi 14/16/18ft Waggler Rod - Review Reply with quote

I have a couple of 13ft float rods for trotting (TF Gear Classic and Greys G-tec) and a 15fter (Greys Prodigy VX), all of which I adore, lovely rods, however my tackle tart nemesis, that wank splash Whistlekiller got himself a MAP 17fter just to piss me right off and make me spend more money, so I went and got myself the Middy Animal Tamer, bit of retail therapy and I would have the extra 1ft on him, ah haaaa! Twisted Evil

http://www.bigcatchtackle.co.uk/middy/match-fishing/rods/animal-tamer-multi-length-14-18-waggler-rod.html

This particular model comes as a 3 piece 14ft rod, with two additional 2ft extensions, so you can have it at 16ft or 18ft if required.

I have to say it was a good looking well made rod, nice blank and fittings and at 14ft was a pretty decent rod indeed, however adding one or both of the 2ft extensions make it totally unfishable and the most horrible rod I have ever had the displeasure to handle.

It was an absolute beast in the two longer versions, would be nigh impossible to hold that thing for a whole session, it was way too heavy.

Whoever said this would be a good alternative to a margin pole at 18ft was taking the complete piss, even the cheapest crappiest margin pole is no way heavier than this.

The only Animal this thing tamed was me, left me a flamin' gibbering wreck.

Quickly went on ebay and was glad to see the back of it, an absolute turd, I don't recommend it at all.

I will never buy another combi rod again, they just don't cut the mustard imho, tend to be average to good at one thing and pants at other things.

The Pirate.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have an old Maver 14/16' waggler rod (without going and digging in the shed I think it is called Micro Crystal). It is usable at 16' but much nicer as a 14 footer. Always just left the two foot extension piece at home.

As I get older, and as i experience fly rods and spinning rods, I have come to appreciate shorter rods. In fact waiting on Mr. Postman bringing me a 10' Drennan Red Range feeder rod.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind eh? Just to repeat, the MAP 17ft, yes, that's seventeen feet, Float Rod is a pleasure to fish with. Well balanced and excellent at controlling a float further out into the river or on the far bank in some cases. Mine's well christened now and I don't even notice I've been carrying it around. Twisted Evil

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who found it for you spoff wipe Twisted Evil

Cheshire Fishing still have a few left, gonnna get one now, should have bleedin' done it when I initially spotted them Rolling Eyes

The Pirate.
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Middy Animal Tamer Combi 14/16/18ft Waggler Rod - Review Reply with quote

PitsfordPirate wrote:

I will never buy another combi rod again, they just don't cut the mustard imho, tend to be average to good at one thing and pants at other things.

The Pirate.

I thought I mentioned that when you asked me about feeder rods?

Shame you never asked about this rod - I could have saved you the bother as it had a code word written on the butt.

Which roughly translated means totalshitstuffthatnoseriousanglereverbuys which is quite a long word so they just write MIDDY instead Very Happy Very Happy
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Chris, I bought it well before then and it was someone else who asked about a combi on another thread I started, I had no intention of buying another combi rod after the Middy.

The Pirate.
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you might have meant this guy Chris..........

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17010

The Pirate.
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link amended, doh!

The Pirate.
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall now Chris, re our PM converation on feeder rods, advised I had been considering (briefly and not very seriously) the Maver Powerlite system and you said don't bother as it was a combi and rcommended the Mach 3, which I subsequently purchased and love.

Unfortunately the Middy was purchased previously and on a whim.

The Pirate.
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whims have got a lot to bloody answer for eh?

My latest whim purchase was M.A.P method feeders, don't know why I bought them as the Preston ones are hard to beat but you know, you always like to try new stuff to see if there is any improvement - there wasn't, they're bloody awful.
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I have to say the Preston mould and feeders takes some beating, one of my better purchases Very Happy

Thanks mate!

The Pirate.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Middy Animal Tamer Combi 14/16/18ft Waggler Rod - Review Reply with quote

PitsfordPirate wrote:
, ... however adding one or both of the 2ft extensions make it totally unfishable and the most horrible rod I have ever had the displeasure to handle.

I had a similar experience back in my coarse fishing days. This was when a 14 metre pole cost serious money so I thought I was being really clever when I picked up a 11 metre pole with 2 x 1.5 metre parallel extensions for a fraction of the price. What a mistake. Embarassed

It was a good pole at 11 metres, just about fishable at 12.5 metres but a complete dogs hind leg when the second extension was added to take it to 14 metres. Sad

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the best poles suffer with that to a greater or lesser extent.

It's 2k plus to get a pole that is usable at 16m for the duration of a match and even then you'll know all about it. I really wish we had a 13m pole limit like they do on the continent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: