The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs - 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drunkdiver
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a BRFFA email been sent out about the fly tying evenings as I have not received anything ?
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there was Rik. Just Andrew W's post on here.
Mark
Liked by: tenet
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik,

There was a note from Martin 30th November that sat underneath the communication about the hatchery visit.

Cheers

Tim
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those not on the Bristol Water mailing list, here is an early heads up from Bob. Note that the opening days on all the reservoirs is on a Saturday this time. Should make for a busy day on the bank ....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRISTOL WATER FISHERIES

2013 TROUT FISHING DETAILS AND PRICES

With the 2012 season now over we are just completing the catch figures for the year. With just a few return cards still to come here are the catch returns for the season.

Chew 18,438 (21,469) Catch per rod 3.62 (4.05)

Blagdon 21,983 (24,788) Catch per rod 3.51 (3.90)

Barrows 5,809 (6,320) Catch per rod 2.57 (2.33)

Litton 919 (1,071) Catch per rod 4.07 (4.10)

(2011 are in brackets)

Although the numbers and catch rate at the main lakes were slightly lower than 2011 the size and quality of the fish taken this year have been excellent. The average weight of fish from Chew Valley was 2.10 only ever bettered in 1958, the second year of fishing at Chew. Barrows also produced fewer fish but the catch per person was better than last year. Full details of the returns will be published on our website when complete.

Opening days next year will again be staggered at all the fisheries. Barrows 1 & 2 will start on Saturday 2nd March, Blagdon on Saturday 16th March and Chew Valley a week later on Saturday 23rd March. Special days for season permit holders will be 1st March, 14th March and 21st March respectively. Closing dates will be 30th November.

Barrow 3 will remain closed for the start of the season but should re-open in May. Extra fish will be stocked into 1 & 2 at the start of the season with 3 well stocked just before it opens.

Most of the permit prices have increased for 2013. Here are the main permit costs for next season. Full details will be available at our website.

Boat Chew Valley Blagdon Litton

Day £36.50 £31.50 £65.00

Afternoon £31.00 £26.50 £45.00

Evening £24.50 £22.50 n/a

Bank Chew Valley Blagdon Barrow

Day £18.00 £22.00 £15.50

Afternoon £15.00 £17.00 £13.00

Season Permits All Waters Chew & Barrows Barrows

Full £770.00 £625.00 £480.00

Weekend £300.00 n/a n/a

Five Day (Mon-Fri)£595.00 £490.00 £380.00

Concessionary £530.00 £430.00 £340.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good tying session this evening. Good to see a number of the folks out. Many thanks Mike for the big fat sedge...
All the best for Christmas and the new year one and all.
Mark
drunkdiver
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just created a Bristol Reservoirs Fly Fishers Association facebook page. Nothing on there yet but please like and post stuff (pics etc). We are hoping to use this to keep people up to date with the club and bring in new members.

http://www.facebook.com/BRFFA
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mr Anderson.
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offline until the New Year now. Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas and New Year. New Year's resolution is to work less and fish more. Smile Not sure that is one I can keep..

Hopefully catch up with a few of you in the new year. Also hoping that we see Cats Whiskers again, sooner rather than later.
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good un Dave Cool Steve Smile
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes folks, have a good time. Not too much of anything nice mind. Look forward to 2013.
Mark
yaffle
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps,

I'm looking to get back into fly-fishing after a bit of a break and being in Bristol for Uni I'm really keen to give the Barrows a try once they open for the new season!

Are there any particular fly patterns I should get tying up in readiness?

I'll also be teaching a friend of mine to fly fish this season, are there any stocky waters near Bristol that you'd recommend to take him in the meantime to build his confidence before we head to the Barrows come March?

Many thanks,

Oli
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trawl through the early pages of this thread and Bristol Water 2011 and 2010 threads will tell you all you need to know about fly patterns, Oli. If you start by tying up some buzzers (including beadhead versions) and Diawl Bachs you won't go far wrong. Smile

As for a good place to take a learner I can't think of anywhere better than Burton Springs. Have a look at this ... http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Website here ... http://www.burtonspringsfishery.com/

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaffle wrote:
I'll also be teaching a friend of mine to fly fish this season, are there any stocky waters near Bristol that you'd recommend to take him in the meantime to build his confidence before we head to the Barrows come March?

Oli, Bristol Waters do starter days. Very good from what I hear. Worth a look when the calendar is published.

Jacklands at Nailsea is close and may be worth a look but fish are paid for by weight an could be expensive. I have only fished it once and was not impressed but it has changed hands. If it's just casting practice then the park with a good amount of grass is a good place to go. Can concentrate on technique and now have to worry about fishing.

There are a number of posts on fishing the barrows in the BW thread, look them up and have a read. Bit different to Chew, Blagdon.

For flies, slim buzzers and diawl bachs, standard and full of lures like tadpoles, cats whiskers', boobies and a blob or two and you are ready to go. Tying evening at the Stoke Inn Chew Stoke run by BRFFA worth a look. Open to all. Think the next is Jan 7th or 14th. Will post details when I have them.

Cheers,
Mark
yaffle
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help chaps!

I'll have a read through the old BW threads to get a bit of a feel for how the waters fish throughout the season. I quite fancy Chew and Blagdon too, but after a bit of reading it seems that the Barrows are the best option from the bank?

I'll dig out my vice and take a few bits back to Uni with me so I can tie up a good selection of the flies you've suggested Smile

Burton springs looks really nice from the website; we'll have to head over there once he's had a few casting lessons on the downs!

Mark - I'll have a look at the starter days and the tying evening, the more help he can get when he's learning the better Smile

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated!

Oli
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oli

IMHO the Tanks probably provides the best buzzer fishing from the bank of all the BW reservoirs from March to May. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98  Next
Page 96 of 98

Jump to: