The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

BristolBlanker Goes Forth...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice trip Dave.
Mark
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, Dave. I think everyone following your blog is waiting for you to catch your first UK salmon. Cool

Don't forget to take your camera! Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Dave - the Usk is due an upturn in its salmon fortunes. If you wife is wondering about your next birthday present or even an early present I cannot recommend the Rio AFS Hover shooting head highly enough. It transforms anybodies spey/underhand casting immeasurably.

The blanks on the tanks and Chew will have conditioned you to those fishless days of trying to tempt Salar. Smile Smile

Cheers

Doug
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh 18lb springer taken on fly from the beat below ours yesterday. Mmmmmm....
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
I cannot recommend the Rio AFS Hover shooting head highly enough

Somebody of good standing, Jock Royan, said the same to me and I bought one prior to a trip to Kilmarnock. In my untrained hamds it made DH river casting a fairly simple exercise and not the difficult stuff of myth! Good purchase IMHO.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished a small coarse lake on the weekend that had all sorts of species that were happy to hit a small black dry fly. I was catching a few nice roach and hoping for something bigger when I handed the rod to a friend of mine who has never fished before. Just then the klink was slurped down by something substantial and the rod hooped over spectacularly. My mate literally screamed in fright and promptly dropped the line as the fish shot off in a big bow wave and got off. I guess it must have been a carp and I carried on for another hour trying to catch one of his brethren, with no luck.

This has happened before - I seem to be a talisman for new fisherman.

This weekend I’m fishing the Usk with a mate of mine who is an occasional fisher. A disheveled hippy type from London, he likes getting out and about in the country, enjoys his fishing when he does it, but he doesn’t take it at all very seriously and doesn’t even own his own kit.

A couple of years ago he told me that he was off to Scotland for a week of walking and I lent him a four weight, an old reel and a few flies just in case he could fit some fishing in.

I was sitting at work one day that week when my phone rang. It was a very excited Jules, and the conversation went something like this:

Jules: “I think I’ve caught a salmon”

Me: “You’re joking, right?”

Jules: “No really – I thought it was a big trout, but it looks a bit weird. It hasn’t really got spots”.

Me: “Well where are you fishing then – does it even have salmon?”

Jules: I don’t know actually – it’s a little river near Loch Shin”

Me: (Googling frantically] “Well, Loch Shin has salmon, so it may well be. You’ve got a camera on your phone haven’t you? Send me a pic!”

Two minutes later my phone beeps and there it is – unmistakably a grilse in the grass. Coloured, but very much Salmo Salar. I ring Jules back and find out that he was fishing an upstream dry fly and catching a few small wild brownies when the fly was smashed as soon as it landed in a back eddy against the opposite bank. On 4lb tippet it took him a while to subdue, and he had to slide down into the river to land it. But he did, and he had caught a salmon without even trying.

Last Autumn he went back to the same place and I lent him some gear again, this time with the proviso that I would kill him if he caught another salmon. Again, I’m sitting at work when my phone beeps. It’s a another picture from Jules with the question “Is this a salmon?”. It wasn’t, but it was a very large hook jawed brown trout that had nailed a Muddler Minnow in cascade colours as it skated across the river. Jammy git.

So this weekend may see me in jail for murder. If the judge is a salmon fisher I‘m sure I’ll walk free…
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usk is thinning down nicely after all the rain and I couldn’t resist a trip to the middle beat yesterday evening. I was lucky to run into the club bailiff that has fished there for many years and he walked me up the beat pointing out all the salmon lies and the best trouting spots. Some of the most productive salmon lies are merely depressions in the bed of the river that you would never know were there unless you had fallen in one while wading in low water.

It was a beautiful evening when the sun came out and I fished with high expectation until dark. No salmon, but had some lovely trout that I hope to run into again when I’ve got a four weight in my hand. A good cast, the fly swinging around, and then suddenly a thump on the line and the reel singing for a second – before a trout thrashes on the surface. Heart in the mouth stuff.

I found out this morning that a fresh 18 pounder came from our top beat yesterday, so they are definitely there to be caught.

Monument Pool at the top of the beat looking inviting.

I put on a bigger fly to avoid taking trout, and then promptly had this one.

The most productive section of the beat is right by the main road – you don’t hear the traffic when you are anticipating a pull at any second…

KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking report, fingers crossed for your weekend trip - looking forward to reading that one!
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking stretch, Dave.

I'm sure it won't be long before Salar pays your fly a visit. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fished hard all day on Sunday - me for the salmon and Jules for trout.

A very good salmon angler had been down the beat befoe me in the early morning and hadn't had anything - which I must admit killed my confidence a bit.

But it was great to be out, the river was running clear, and it seemed that summer had arrived overnight.

Unlike the other night I only had one trout on the salmon gear and there were very few fish rising. Jules kept plugging away with the dries and eventually had a couple on bushy flies skated across the surface.

In the later afternoon we switched to the top beat and were surprised to have it to ourselves. It probably took a hammering during the day so I had one run through the best pool with the salmon rod and then switched to the trout rod for the last hour, expecting some furious dry fly action.

In this time Jules had four fish in quick succession with his unusual dry fly tactics. I rose one fish in an hour on a little dry sedge fished upstream, but it didn't stick. No rises at all in the evening which left me scratching my head a bit. At least Jules didn't have a salmon this time!

Totally knackered at the end of the day and am only just feeling human again. Still, I think I can muster the energy for an evening session on the tanks tonight Very Happy
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weather is really getting on my nerves. I was planning on getting out after the salmon this morning. River was dropping nicely yesterday afternoon and I thought it would be perfect by 5.30am when I was planning to be casting a fly. I packed the car last night and had a quick final check at the web cam before I went to bed. Churning chocolate mess! Must have been some torrential rain in the catchment that missed Bristol. Oh well, there is always tomorrow...
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking wet again today Dave.
Hope it worked out.
Mark
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother again - still too high. Crying or Very sad No worries - boat on Blagdon Friday afternoon. Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m off salmon fishing this afternoon. I had a lovely salmon fillet with sweet chili sauce last night and tied a couple of Flamethrower variants which almost seemed to dance in the vice. Then I dreamt that I caught a grilse (from Bristol harbor, but that is beside the point..) So are these omens? Probably not, but I’m looking forward to wielding the long rod for the first time in weeks…

Six weeks until my Nith trip too – that is coming around quickly…
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
I’m off salmon fishing this afternoon. I had a lovely salmon fillet with sweet chili sauce last night and tied a couple of Flamethrower variants which almost seemed to dance in the vice. Then I dreamt that I caught a grilse (from Bristol harbor, but that is beside the point..) So are these omens? Probably not, but I’m looking forward to wielding the long rod for the first time in weeks…

Six weeks until my Nith trip too – that is coming around quickly…

Like the Bristol Harbour Grilse dream. Freud would no doubt have had a field day with that one! What was that line in Fawlty Towers when the doctors had finished analysing Basil?...."There's enough material there for an entire conference".......

Best of luck with the salmon old chap! "One of these days" I keep promising myself........... Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: