The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

BristolBlanker Goes Forth...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
Winter is for fly tying....

Nice ties.

Smile
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
Winter is for fly tying....

Dave, merecen un salmón con esas moscas!! Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First session on the Wye yesterday evening after the salmon. Had the beat to myself and it was looking great. A few minutes of snow around 7pm, but snow doesn’t affect my casting so I wasn’t worried – unlike swirling winds! Later it cleared and turned into a crisp clear evening – more like late Autumn than Spring.

I didn’t see any salmon, but had fun experimented with different casts and mending line to fish the fly deeper. I can now do a Snap-T cast if that means anything to you. Good old YouTube Very Happy .

I had a couple of trouty pulls to get the heart rate up , and who knows, they could have been 30 pound salmon mouthing the fly!

The cold didn’t put the fish off – I see on the Wye and Usk Foundation website that three fish over 19 pounds were taken yesterday. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Liked by: Allrounder, Whistlekiller
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Dave, and top marks for perseverance . I can't wait to see you proudly holding a fresh run fish! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked one this evening! Then it came off, but that is still the most exciting thing that has happened in this blog Laughing

Blustery and wet, but I could get away from work at 4.30 and at least I wasn't going to be in a boat.

Fished full floating line and size 8 fly. There were more fish in the beat than I have ever seen. A couple kept showing under the power lines that cross the river, and a couple more kept leaping in the slower overgrown section that can only be fished with a spinner. One of those looked very very big - great long thing about 20 pounds I would say.

About 9pm I changed go a long winged collie dog sort of fly to fish through the best section for the last time. Not much activity until a couple of fish showed in mid stream, obviously a pod moving through. I stripped my fly in to cover them and it suddenly stopped dead. It was a brief and confusing moment. Not a snatchy pull like a trout, just a solid resistance like I had hooked a tree trunk. Then a heavy knocking on the line, which in retrospect must have been the fish shaking its head. I suddenly thought "Crikey I've got one!" and lifted my rod. A strong pull and then the line went slack.

Very very exciting - took me a good half hour to calm down, although the roadworks and long diversion on the way home helped that process!
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luck Dave - your day will surely come soon. Very late for kelts to be showing considering the high water earlier in April. Throw a sicky and get back down there Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Hard luck Dave - your day will surely come soon. Very late for kelts to be showing considering the high water earlier in April. Throw a sicky and get back down there Smile

No kelts that I could see Doug - the ones showing continuously looked a bit coloured, but the big one looked quite fresh and the pod that moved through looked very silver, though quite a bit smaller.

I'm going to try an early morning session next week - it seems that the retired gentleman in the club spend the day on the beat, so early morning probably best bet.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have gone to specsavers - misread KEPT for KELT Embarassed We used to reckon, from my days fishing the Wye, that fish that breached sideways were old potted fish or previously hooked fish or diseased fish and more than difficult to catch. I remember once tossing a bunch of lobworms at such a fish at the tail of Martins Pool and it almost leapt into the boat with fright Very Happy
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my first cast at 05h45 this morning. That was an early start! I started with the same big fly that I had the pull on last week. Casting right against the rocks on the opposite bank (in the narrow section) my line pulled tight and my rod throbbed over. Straight away my instinct said that it didn't feel heavy enough to be a salmon, but it stayed deep and wasn't like the half pound trout I have hooked on the beat before. A grilse maybe, or a chub?

Turned out it was a trout - a big healthy brownie of about two pounds. I was just landing it when I heard a voice up above me on the bank "Crikey, the early bird does get the worm after all!"

After a chat with my fellow club member, I carried on down the pool with no further incident other than a large salmon repeatedly jumping in the water that I had just covered thoroughly with my fly.

Cheeky bugger. Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teenager I fished with a friend who was an only child from a wealthy family. While I had very cheap kit, not so waterproof clothing, leaky waders and a home made float tube, he had the best of everything. Of all his possessions I coveted his fly rod the most. In comparison, my rod was like a half cooked piece of spaghetti; casting it was a battle, like you had to wrestle into submission to get a line out. When I picked up his rod it felt like a wand in my hand. Casting it was like that dream where you can fly. It was an Orvis Western. 8'6" #4 if I remember correctly. I wanted that rod so bad.

Many years later when I finally had some disposable income and could afford a decent rod, I bought an Orvis. Not the best one, but good enough that after a while it became an extension of my arm, no wrestling required - it just did what I wanted and felt right. I fished that rod a lot in some pretty wild places and caught a lot of fish, some big ones too. I finally broke it badly in New Zealand when I tripped on some rocks and fell on it. Orvis NZ replaced it no questions asked with a brand new rod on the promise that I had the guarantee somewhere at home. That rod also caught some fish, and lasted many years until a Bristol Waters ranger drove over it when I stupidly left on the side of the track at the Tanks.

That rod got replaced with the Hydros model, although admittedly I did have to pay about £50 to upgrade. The Hydros was in a different class to anything I had cast before; unbelievably light and refined but maybe that was part of the problem as I kept breaking it. The tip broke casting it, and again mysteriously while stored in its rod tube. The latest breakage was casting it into a stiff wind on the Usk last year - although I might have nicked it with a heavy bedhead nymph.

This time Orvis are replacing it outright again. In the next day or two I should get my new Recon 5 weight. The fourth rod on the same 25 year guarantee that I don't think they have ever actually asked to see. I've got other rods of course, but for my main rod, the one I would take to heaven given the chance, it will always be an Orvis.
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually wince at the price of some Orvis products but your post has put things into perspective, Dave. I've not heard a bad word about their customer service, and of course it has to be paid for somehow. Very Happy

Nice post! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have purchased lots of stuff from Orvis over the years and the few items that have been returned have been replaced without a quibble or even a whimper. Excellent customer service but there is a price.

Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rod has arrived - they certainly have made a departure from the traditional look and feel of previous models. Stainless steel rod tube, futuristic font on the branding. Lovely finish and incredibly light. Hopefully more resilient than the Hydros!

A session on the tanks soon I think Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bit of kit this...

Liked by: montanajoe, Whistlekiller
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a great fan of their reels, owning 3, and some of their lines ain't bad either. Makes a mockery of some of the kit out there costing as much as a 2nd hand Ford Focus Shock

All that's needed is salmo salar to finish the job - this year for certain Smile
Liked by: Whistlekiller
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: