The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Allrounders Almanac
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Allrounders Almanac Reply with quote

I've often wondered whether to open a diary or blog on here but never felt the need as most of my fishing is catered for in one or another of the sections on the forum and especially on the Bristol Water thread.

However sometimes there are some things that don't quite fit under a heading or they have a more tenuous link to angling and so with no further ado, here it is ... Allrounder's Almanac! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: B.A.S.S. AGM Reply with quote

I've been a member of the Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society (BASS) for three years now, ever since I stumbled upon their heroic but sadly unsuccessful campaign to increase the minimum landing size for Bass. This seemed to me to be the sort of Society and anglers I wanted to be associated with and I have never regretted my decision. Smile

The title 'AGM' is a bit of a misnomer really because the BASS AGM is much more than that. It takes place towards the end of March every year and to many members it signals the start of the new bass fishing year, although sometimes bass can be and are caught all year around. The AGM is also a coming together of bass anglers from across the country and it is well supported by Veals of Bristol who turn an ajoining room into a mini tackle shop with plenty of 'todays price only' bargains on plugs and other tackle. I don't think I have seen as many plugs in one place before but then plugging is second choice to the fly for me.

The campaign to restore the bass population to a sustainable level is a major part of what BASS does and the reports are never dull if you love the sport. We heard from John Quinlan from Ireland where an attempt to open up their bass fishery to commercial exploitation was recently defeated and Malcolm Gilbert gave an update on how the Society is working with counterparts in Europe to preserve Bass on the other side of the channel. Outside speakers included Martin Salter from the Angling Trust and a great demonstration around the changes that have taken place in the lure fishing world over the last 10 years by Mick Ward from Mr Fish and The Lure Forum. Long gone are the days when a carp rod or any thing similar would do for plugging. The latest rods have a variety of actions suited to each group of plugs or lures and if your rod hasn't got a bright red blank (I ain't kidding!) then you are not part of the 'in' set. I can't see rods with bright red blanks catching on with fly fishers! Laughing

So to sum up it was a really good day out in the company of anglers who really know their stuff and who care enough about their fishing and fish stocks enough to travel to Gloucester on a Sunday morning rather than go fishing.

Find out more about BASS and the restoration project here ... http://ukbass.com/

Membership is 20 a year which gives you access to a quarterly magazine, fish ins and a members only forum. There is no online joining facility at the moment but it is coming soon. watch this space. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have more time to do the things I want to do, rather than what I had to do to make a living, I have been giving more thought to my fishing. I love fishing reservoirs for trout and can't wait to get out again but I don't want to do it all the time not least because I can't afford to. Sad My winter pike and summer Bass fly fishing are also seasonal so in between Chew trips I need to find something else. Smile

I initially thought about coarse fishing again but since I last drowned a maggot things have moved in a direction I'm not comfortable with. I have no interest in float fishing banded pellets or sitting behind bite alarms on overstocked carp puddles and although I have no problem with those who do, it's not for me. Sad

However it got me thinking about going back to how I started fishing over 50 years ago - in other words 'traditional' coarse fishing on small rivers using basic tackle. No Boss box and trolley, holdall with 6 rods and a pole, 2 x keepnets, 10 pints of pellets etc - just float fishing with bread worms and maggots using one rod and reel, a landing net and a bag to carry your rigs, terminal tackle, bait, lunch and a flask of tea. Very Happy

In order to carry out my plan the first thing I needed to do was see if a suitable venue for a reasonable annual fee existed and a quick google search suggested one did - a small local river within an easy drive that was said to have a good mixture of coarse fish including Roach, Dace, Chub, Barbel etc as well as a few wild brown Trout. An investigative bank walk confirmed that I had found what I was looking for so I was happy to part with the annual membership fee of just 20 which runs until the end of the year. Smile

Next thing was to sort out some suitable tackle as I had sold all my coarse gear years ago. Sad With the emphasis on 'basic' (ie cheap/ uncomplicated Rolling Eyes) I sourced a heavily discounted float rod and a cheap 'Ikonix' centre pin reel from the internet and bought the remaining bits and bobs from my local angling store - line, hooks, shot, a couple of stick floats, plummets etc - and the rest I commandeered from my fly kit or in the case of my backpack/stool, from the back of the garage. Now it was just a case of waiting for a quiet spell of weather so I could arrange my first trip on the river, which happened to be today. Very Happy

When I arrived I found the river was at normal winter level which was great news. The river is pretty overgrown throughout which means it is not easy to fish, but after a short walk I soon found a spot that looked promising ....

It looks like a snag pit and it was. Rolling Eyes Laughing The first couple of runs through with a 6 x no.4 stick fishing bread came to nothing and I quickly learned to look up as my line got caught in the branches above me more times that I care to remember. Embarassed

I also quickly discovered the limitations of a cheap centre pin as I had to 'help' the line off the reel in the slow to medium flow but I wasn't too worried. A decent centre pin would cost over 10 times as much as I paid for the Ikonix and the whole point is to keep things as cheap and simple as possible. Smile

A change to worm brought no improvement, so I reached for my 'get out of jail' bait - maggots! Very Happy I started by feeding a 5 or 6 maggots every run through and finally the float stabbed under and a small Dace was swung to hand. More followed along with plenty of minnows until finally something put a proper bend in the tip when the float went under. At first I thought it was a small Chub or Barbel but before it came to the surface I knew what it was ...

After that a few more small Dace came to hand but I had grown over confident by that point and soon not one but both my stick floats were lost to the surrounding branches. Embarassed Not having another float could have meant an early tea but fortunately I had some float rubbers with me and so after literally making a 'stick' float from a dead twig Shock , I was back in business! Smile Another small Dace followed to prove that the new 'stick' float worked ...

followed by another smaller trout and so at that point I decided to change swims as I didn't want to catch trout out of season. Smile

My next and final swim was closer to the entrance point and seemed a popular spot going by the well worn bank. However it looked very promising and easy to fish so I decided to give it a go ...

This swim produced a 4oz dace on the first run through so I thought my luck was in but soon the minnows moved in and it was a minnow a chuck. Rolling Eyes However steady feeding seemed to fill them up and soon my float was going through unhindered unless it was by a better fish.

A couple of small Roach followed, which was good to see and then a better fish slipped the hook. I hoped this was a Chub but a few minutes later a game little 6 inch Brownie was carefully lifted out and returned, before being followed by a much better 12oz example that needed to netted. Sadly the pic I took of it was out of focus but it is good to note there seems to be a good number of wild brownies along the stretch. It will be something to look forward to with the #3 weight later in the year. Very Happy

By now it was getting on for 4pm and as there seemed to be some trout in my swim I decided to give it best. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the day once I got the hang of fishing the pin and remembering to look up to avoid overhanging branches. Embarassed Laughing

Let's hope I can get a few more trips in before the end of the season and in the spirit of traditional coarse fishing I will also be on the lookout for suitable bird feather quills to make my own floats. Cool

Alan Wink Laughing
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Bovver
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great report & pics Allrounder .... look forward to reading subsequent posts.

Cheers Barry
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Alan - you really are a an all rounder Very Happy

How long is that beat and did you get to explore it all?
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up Alan,

Retirement.........if only, maybe one day. Mr. Green
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously enjoyed that. A really nice way to fish on beautifully intimate little river.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, your feedback is much appreciated! Cool

Dave - the stretch is around 5 miles long and I have walked the top half. The aim yesterday was to fish a spot and move every 20 minutes or so if bites weren't forthcoming or if they dried up. Fortunately the river was in good shape so I only moved because I was catching the 'wrong' (out of season) fish. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon Twiggy!! Twisted Evil

Excellent report as usual Alan. You can't beat a bit of trotting. I had one of those Ikonix reels a few years back (although mine was the Marco Cortesi badged version) and found that it worked best with quite heavily shotted floats or I had to help it along a tad just like you say. Next time you use it I'd up-rate your twig a bit. Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twiggy?! I wish, Rich! I'm still carrying a too much around the waist to be called that! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Actually I consulted the excellent Marco Cortesi and Pin fishing threads on this forum before I took the plunge so I knew what I was getting and the limitations. The Ikonix version I went for was the IKX201 which came in a snazzy wooden box for 29.99 although I chose it because it was the cheapest Ikonix verson I could find with a line guard included in the price, not for the wooden box. Rolling Eyes

I might have been a little hard on the reel as I was aware that the line was not exactly peeling through the rod rings yesterday so I thought I would try a little test this afternoon. First I attached a single No.4 shot to the end of the line coming off the reel and then lifted the No.4 shot off the ground with my thumb on the reel drum. I then released my thumb to see if the No.4 shot was heavy enough to start the reel rotating on its own without any assistance. Sadly it wasn't. Next I tried a BB and and that wasn't quite enough either but an AAA shot did the trick. I'm sure a top of the range pin would start with much less persuasion but they cost up to 10 times what I paid Smile

Anyway because I'm sure you are all wondering, here is the twig float that saved the day. From memory I think it took around 5 x No.6. Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Almanac" is a nice addition to the Forum Alan Cool Very Happy

Keep up the good work Mate ...... Regards ...... Tony
Liked by: Allrounder
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I know nothing about such crude items as centrepins Smile

Now to be serious, without knowing the innards of such items have you tried the following:-

Polish the spindle (if they have one) with Autosol so that it's nice and shiny, then give it a blast with a teflon spray or GT85.

That should have it spinning nicely.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. Cool

After carrying out your suggestion my reel now starts to rotate from a standing start with a single BB and a No.8 shot. Cool I've read that the weight of the spool, which can also be influenced by the amount of line on it, can also have an impact on start up inertia and I have far too much line on my reel! I will be sorting that out shortly and then that will be it - I'll stick with what I've got. Very Happy

In the meantime this is how a top of the range Centrepin performs when lifting a No.10 dust shot .... Shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFcahA63K0

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice log Al, only just noticed it. Like you I'm not huge on carp commercials, but preference something a bit more natural even if it's much harder!
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Thanks Bill. Cool

After carrying out your suggestion my reel now starts to rotate from a standing start with a single BB and a No.8 shot. Cool I've read that the weight of the spool, which can also be influenced by the amount of line on it, can also have an impact on start up inertia and I have far too much line on my reel! I will be sorting that out shortly and then that will be it - I'll stick with what I've got. Very Happy

In the meantime this is how a top of the range Centrepin performs when lifting a No.10 dust shot .... Shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFcahA63K0

Alan Wink

I find around 40 yards of line is usually about enough for me otherwise it can get bedded in and snag itself as the line peels off. Same is true of any pin I've used

I managed to dig out a picture of my old MC reel with its last catch before I sold it to a friend several years ago now (I did have and still do have too many pins!) A plump carp caught in the margins on a bit of bread crust under a stick float. Admittedly a commercial lake but it just goes to show what a pin is capable of handling on 4lb mainline and 3lb hook link. Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: