The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Chew Valley Lake Sunday 16th September

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Chew Valley Lake Sunday 16th September Reply with quote

Clouds rolling in so hatched a plan and Sunday morning following inner sanctum guidance from the Lodge Team saw myself and farmer friend James now calm after Shaftesbury induced Mocha buzz boarding one of the new boats number 47 and heading south towards Villice for a look see.No risers we could see but a few boats so motored across to Moreton and Stratford for a drift or two around the weed beds.Early signs were good as I released a small rainbow taken on the top dropper of a washing line rig.Red headed diawl bach had scored again.This was followed by a cracking rainbow of 3lb 9ozs which had James whooping with delight during an intense duel.I ribbed him about fishing with a beach caster his beloved Sage XP 7wt Smile .Super fish which put up a great show.Well it just went on from there with some top drawer fishing during which time James had some serious knot problems Crying or Very sad and I long distance released a belter which ploughed into a weed bed and took a very cherished fly with it.Tail like a spade showed like the hand of god before this rainbow warrior did me like a kipper.Once again I should have re-tied the fly which had taken fish already.Dropper knot intact just took the fly and no pigtail so a break.Bad angling simple as that.Action was hot and during welcome lulls in the breeze leaving an oily ripple.You could feel the takes coming.This was nymph fishing heaven.Not a fish a cast but there was life and a few fish moving.I did try the dries because James had a couple of boatside boils and there was some movement but never sustained.Tried static dries and dibbling hoppers but no interest.Fish we spooned were rammed with shrimp.
We decided to move for a while and check out Herriots.First cast,still adjusting the drogue and wallop.Saw a good fish roll and then it was gone.Pulled the hook open a little.Missed two more takes on this drift and then right on the reed edge hooked up a beautiful picture book cock brown of a good 2lbs plus.A real bar of gold which went happily on his way.Then off Wick I released another small brown which was the sea trout variety being really silver.Drift was a little awkward here due to the wind quarter so headed back across to Moreton for a spell.Took a couple more here before calling it quits at 7pm.As we left the pontoon a young ranger was off bank fishing and said there had been a boil along woodford after sundown on Saturday.Brilliant day out.Visibility was patchy but pretty good.I took a bag limit and James should have been close but he had a seriously"bad knot day".We weighed in 11 rainbows for 33lb so a good average size and full of fight.
until the next time.

Last edited by JCP on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one JP and James,
mate of mine also fished yesterday afternoon on Chew. Had six nice fish on nymphs and one to a dry.

Cheers,
Mark
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: solo angler Reply with quote

Hello Mark

Have copied this into correct section now.I did see a solo angler come out near us and he was catching.He also dabbled off Herriots and took a fish there.He went off to other locations and came back up to fish well off Moreton Point.Maybe the same chap.

Best JP
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was him.
Mark
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report JP, you certainly did better than the qualifiers for the Lexus team final at Rutland.The average catch amongst the countries finest was 1.7 fish. - will be out sometime this week to do battle. Not that much time left with the Pike "Trials" starting on the 15th October and a week on the Stichar w/c 8th October.

Cheers

Doug
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report JCP, very interesting reading & nice pic/fish.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: