The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Making backed wings

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fisher3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Making backed wings Reply with quote

I have recently got hold of some tying gear and there is an embroidery frame holding nylon stocking material on which are pasted Pheasant 'chuch window' feathers. This is obviously a technique to make folded backed wings but what do you use to do the sticking? The kit included acetone? Is this the key?

Can anyone help?
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, Arkle (John) has vast tying knowledge and may be able to help. I assume you need a waterproof flexible glue of some sort and one with without a solvent that is not going to damage the nylon. Only had a go once and used SH HAN as the 'glue' to stick the feather to the stocking. Never used the flies so not sure.

Mark
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fisher3, The technique you mention has been doing the rounds since the 1980's, acetone by the way has nothing really to do with it as it's use is for thinning varnish.

I think the 1st time I saw it done, was by Taff Price back then & he used Vycoat, which was a vinyl type glue that's no longer available. Plasticote is similar, but not thinned with acetone, as are many of the other things like softex, shoe/leather adhesives etc.

I would avoid using standard u.v. resin's though & only try one that is fully flexible such as the new thick flexible one from the diamondhard range.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Fisher3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I was aware that Acetone thinned varnish, but I just wondered if it was used for this as well.

The wings I have are actually pretty good (they probably date from the 1980's) and you can cut to the correct shape etc with scissors. Not used any yet but was thinking about trying a Caddis pattern. I was just wondering how I would make more, I can get old nylon tights and have plenty of feathers of the correct type, just need to sort the adhesive out.
Very Happy
flytire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daves flexament should work
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get any "Dave's Flexament" there's always "Floo Glu" / "Feather weld" / Loctite's Leather cement + some of the others I mentioned.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug-Bond would work great for this being that it was designed flexible from the start.
There is a great You Tube clip showing how flexible Bug-Bond is.

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: