The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

River Allen

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Rivers Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marxach

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: River Allen Reply with quote

I won a day on the Allen in Dorset in the WTT auction. I took it today and had a really good time. Full report here

http://walksandfishes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/allen-20-may-2013.html

Peter

http://walksandfishes.blogspot.co.uk/
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, enjoyed reading about your day out Smile
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: River Allen Reply with quote

Looks like you fished the Allen stretch which begins by the bridge at Walford just on the outskirts of Wimborne.Stretch below around the town is actually free fishing but some of the local community are not satisfied with that and venture upstream from time to time.Luckily the stretch is quite difficult to fish from the bank where you were fishing.We had the pub which was there by the bridge for a while.It is now a private company offices which has done the river a favour as there is now no general access to the river.I had a few altercations there with people who were adamant the fishing was an any method free for all Sad This river was a jewel and could be again with a little help.Suffers from over extraction and lack of real positive management upstream since folks like the late Harry Teasdale left us.A real close friend of mine Greg Lake and I fished the Allen when we were young and later in life he bought and began renovating an old then pretty derelict Mill House on the river and with good advice from our mentor Harry we nurtured his stretch of water into a river of dreams over the years he owned it.There were two mill pools on the stretch and the fishing was just unbelievable.We even made an episode of "Out Of Town" with the late Jack Hargreaves and his cameraman Stan Brehaut.The Allen holds many precious memories for me and for Greg and we still manage to share a few days together on a river somewhere.I still live close to the Allen and it is saddens me to witness the decline due to the river being low priority to the landowners throughout its course.Yes it is still a source of income for the various estates it flows through but unfortunately it is a shadow of the river it once was.I am happy you enjoyed your day and you did extremely well.Always were some cracking grayling on the lower stretch but not too many further upstream.We once had a good run of salmon and sea-trout.Some years back there was a mill pool above where you were fishing until the river course was changed for development purposes.I have watched the migratory fish going upstream and pool above the sluice full of kelts on their way back to the sea.A classic case I am afraid of the river that once was and may well never be again.Thank you for the report and good fishing on your travels.Hugh Miles "Liquid Gold" featuring the Allen is worth a view on Utube.

Best JP

Best JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Rivers Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: