The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Tubing The Ancholme

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Tubing The Ancholme Reply with quote

Since the outing on the Thames with Nige recently I thought it'd be a good idea to try fishing my local river from a float tube.

Also, I'd ordered a rod holder for the tube and as it arrived yesterday I thought I might as well test that out as well.

I inflated the tube in my back garden as with all the seats down I can get it in the car no problem and it saves a job when the venue is reached! Very Happy

And a closer view. This is holding what amounts to the new SKB DogFight pike rod and reel although the colours aren't the finished article and it hasn't got a DogFight line spooled on yet, this being a simple 10# Di3. Snap link and titanium trace courtesy of Uncle Tony and a red and white Bush Pig fly that had done so well for me at Elinor earlier in the month. Cool

And the Elinor Pike. Sorry for the blurry picture here...... Mad

The weather, it has to be said was pretty hot and so, lathered up in sun-cream I set off for Brigg and The Leisure Centre where I knew I could launch without too much bother.

Upon inspection of the weed in the river I decided to forego any attempt at fly fishing and instead took a Daiwa Super Shinobi 8' Spinning Rod with a Shimano Elf 3000 reel loaded with 10lb braid and secondly my usual Savagear Roadrunner with a Daiwa baitcaster, as I'd used on The Thames.

The heat was pretty intense as the waders and diving boots went on so I got into the river as soon as possible to cool off. You can see the weed problem quite clearly here.

This bridge was the main fish catching area.

I managed 10 of 12 perch from under it, all on a chartreuse MEPPS 5. All of them this rather disappointing size. I wish I'd taken the lighter Troutizimo with a smaller MEPPS to have made more of a scrap out of it. Mad Nevertheless, they were my first river fish from a float tube so very welcome! Smile

I saw a couple of jack pike moving in the margins but they weren't interested in the usual banker of the black and white spinnerbait on the Roadrunner, or anything else for that matter so just the perch to report! Cool

I doubt I'll be tubing again (apart from in Menorca wearing only swimming trunks!) in heat like that. It was hard work but at least I have a good idea of the river from a totally different perspective now. There are some very big pike in there nudging 30lbs but whether I can tempt them is another matter. I'll be having a good go when the heat dies down later in the autumn.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Black - Don
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely wee perch there Rich - Nice.

Now go and get yourself a pint of Well's Bombardier to cool off. It is national fishing month after all - Huzzah !

http://fishinscotland.blogspot.com/

Aye, an dinnae try to cast a 4oz lead with a 40grm rod. Unless it's a Daiwa of course. They're bombproof !
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Perch are great fun on very light spinning gear, even the little ones. You did well getting them to take the lures, I find they have a habit of shoaling up and just swimming along beside them. Not fishing weather at all, so great result.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you float tube the Shannon Fossil Fish ??

I have always fancied a go a float tubing but there is nowhere local to do it, Ravensthorpe is probabley the best for trout.
Not sure I fancy a trip down the Grand Union Canal in one

Fryfishing

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Would you float tube the Shannon Fossil Fish ??

I have always fancied a go a float tubing but there is nowhere local to do it, Ravensthorpe is probabley the best for trout.
Not sure I fancy a trip down the Grand Union Canal in one

Fryfishing

You should head for Elinor. It can't be more than 45 minutes north of you and it's a blast in a tube. I'm assuming you have your own stuff but if you don't, we can arrange a day when there'll be enough spare gear for you to participate. One thing though, Elinor is fly only but there's a chance of trout, pike and perch depending on how you go about things. If you want, you can always wait until the 2014 Elinor social but I'm sure a few of us would be happy to help out in the meantime as its always good to put faces to names! Very Happy

Kennebec

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second thumbs up for Elinor or if you go a bit further up the M1, Thornton is just off junction 22.
Bob.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the map for Elinor, a bit more than 45 mins, I can get to Grafham in 45 to an hour.
I do not have the kit so thats why I am thinking of Ravensthorpe as they will lend the tube for the day.
Thanks for the tips, If I have not moved south by 2014 I will take you up on the Elinor day.

P.S did you see Cyril Chauquet fishing in France for cat fish from a float tube, not sure Health and saftey team would approve Shock

Fryfishing

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Just checked the map for Elinor, a bit more than 45 mins, I can get to Grafham in 45 to an hour.
I do not have the kit so thats why I am thinking of Ravensthorpe as they will lend the tube for the day.
Thanks for the tips, If I have not moved south by 2014 I will take you up on the Elinor day.

P.S did you see Cyril Chauquet fishing in France for cat fish from a float tube, not sure Health and saftey team would approve Shock

Fryfishing

I've seen that episode. Very entertaining man although it took me a while to get to like him!

As far as H&S is concerned.............he seems to share my opinion. We're all old and ugly enough to make our own minds up so I tend to do what I like, provided it isn't illegal and doesn't endanger others! Cool

You're absolutely right of course, my bad, it's more like 80 minutes from you to Elinor driving sensibly, about 10 minutes further than Ravensthorpe. I keep forgetting how near Watford is to London! Rolling Eyes Very Happy Still no problem if you fancy a meet up, it's only a couple of hours south for me and I've driven much further to fish before. Cool

lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich - nice report Wink Water in my usual lakes is way too hot for piking currently - so having to put Piking on hold till things cool off.

Just a thought, with all those perch around, I'd have been tempted to try a "perch" BushPig, or a similarly marked "popper fly" mounted on a floater - fished slow but jerky around the margins.

Then, mayhap - a larger one would have been tempted - assuming the river water wasn't too hot for them - approaching 20 degrees Centigrade seems to put them off the feed Wink

Are you liking the way the trace and clip work ??

ATB .... Tony
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakefisher wrote:
Hi Rich - nice report Wink Water in my usual lakes is way too hot for piking currently - so having to put Piking on hold till things cool off.

Just a thought, with all those perch around, I'd have been tempted to try a "perch" BushPig, or a similarly marked "popper fly" mounted on a floater - fished slow but jerky around the margins.

Then, mayhap - a larger one would have been tempted - assuming the river water wasn't too hot for them - approaching 20 degrees Centigrade seems to put them off the feed Wink

Are you liking the way the trace and clip work ??

ATB .... Tony

The trace and clip are excellent Tony. All I need to do is get somebody to manufacture them commercially! We have the new DogFight pike lines coming out soon and when they're ready I'll send one over for you to try. After that if you'd be so kind as to pass it along to the rest of the panel (Alan and Steve) for their opinion........ Cool

On this occasion I just took a couple of spinning rods out with me but I agree with you that the water temperature had put the pike off moving. It near as damn it put me off moving as well, even breathable waders soon heat up in wam water. I was able to float directly above the pike I spotted but even annoying them by bouncing the lure on their nose like a vertical jig elicited no response at all. Perch are obviously more energetic feeders! Very Happy

ATB

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: