The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Happy days Reply with quote

Tried my luck on the Barrows today, got there around 08.30 and set out for No3, plan was to try 2 and 1 later when the main road was easier to cross. One chap fishing from the inlet pipe and so I wandered over to have a chat, BRFFA member Alan who I had not met before, said he had caught one brownie but it had gone quiet but invited me to fisg near him. . Being a leftie I fished the left hand side of the pipe and was soon into my first Brown of around 3lb. I was fishing a Di7 with minkie booby and small coral booby. Alan went for wander in search of rainbows. Then for a couple of hours I caught fish after fish all brown ones of various colours and up to about 4lb. I even managed a double hook up and got both the net and safely released. Alan returned and we fished along side each other watching occasional Brown trout trying to head up the current and nearly up the slope to the pipe. Very Happy Alan was not getting into many so I gave him a minkie booby and he was caught a few in a short time.
I ended with 10 browns and one small rainbow... think it was my best session on the Tanks and certainly my best on No3...
fishing slowed late afternoon and called it a day around 4.30 a very happy Bov.
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great session Bov - maybe I put my rods away too soon Wink

The browns have really put in an appearance this year - I have never caught so many in one season. I wonder why?

I had a walk around Blagdon on Sunday - the water was unbelievably clear. A few buzzer coming off and only one bank angler that I could see on the whole lake.
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Ian, look's like a lot of minky-boobies are going to be made ready for future sessions.

I've just noticed the page count (only) & at the end of 2013, it was 105 & this year -yes I know we've still got some time to go - it's on 47.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish and a great day for you Ian - reminded me of my early days fly fishing on Grafham Water way back in the '70's. Always made a rush over to Savages Creek at the back end for the Brownies.A white Baby Doll was the fly of choice on a wet cell 2 shooting head. Happy days.

Cheers
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments... maybe would have been good to mix up the methods a bit to see what would happen? I may try and get another day in before the end of the month Smile
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy days Reply with quote

Bovver wrote:
Then for a couple of hours I caught fish after fish all brown ones of various colours and up to about 4lb. I even managed a double hook up and got both the net and safely released....
I ended with 10 browns and one small rainbow... think it was my best session on the Tanks ..

No, no, Ian! You're doing it all wrong! The idea is to just wave an expensive carbon stick at them like I showed you, not to actually hook them! Laughing Sounds like you had a stonking session and only wish I had been there too. Very Happy

I think BW stocked a number of brownies earlier in the season and they tend to show more towards the end of the year so I'm not that surprised, although 10 in a session from the bank is going some! Cool Lots of anglers return brownies these days but I wonder if the policy of stocking triploid fish only from next season will have an effect on the rule that they must be returned after 15th October?

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Brown Trout season is an EA law
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closed season for brownies is an EA regulation, but it doesnt apply to landlocked fisheries which is why Lechlade can stock big brownies through the winter and operate a catch and kill policy. However I forgot that Chew and Blagdon have tributaries with wild brownies in them so I image the brownie season will still apply. Smile

Had a couple of hours at Chew this morning fishing from the bank, rather than wading. I started at Nunnery point fishing both sinking lines with boobies and floating line with nymphs and lures but didnt get a pull. Moved to Woodford for half an hour with exactly the same result so decided that I should have gone to the tanks after all. Rolling Eyes

I arrived at the Tanks at around 2pm and decised to start on No.2. The water levels have dropped considerably since last week and another angler told me it had dropped a foot since he arrived the morning. He was fishing from the causeway into No.2 and had one in the bag so I decided to do the same from halfway along by the inflow pipe from No.1.

After two consecutive blanks I wasnt in the mood for taking prisoners so I decided to fish a White Booby and an Olive Booby on a D7 very slow and deep, just tweaking it back in. One my third cast I felt a coupe of sharp tugs and lifted into a very spirited fish that just did not want to come to the net. Eventually the pressure got the better of it and I was relieved to see a nice Rainbow in my net... Cool

It was a long lean fish with an impressive paddle which took the scales down to 2-12 which isnt a bad size for the Tanks. It took the small Olive Booby on the dropper rather than the White Booby which was suprising when I discovered that it had been gorging on sticklebacks ...

I fished my way back around No.2 to the steps and then gave No.3 half an our until last light but that was the only pull I had all day. Sad

Next weekend marks the end of the season so I expect I'll be on the bank somewhere. Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy glad you caught something Alan... I will give the Tanks a go on Monday as I have a day off. Only thing that may keep me away is darned man flu. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
drunkdiver
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side Ian you could have norovirus like me. Hope to be fixed by the weekend and get out for a final session.
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your noro virus Rik and hope you get better soon, despite my own illness I had a few hours out yesterday and blanked. Not a touch on No3 so after a few hours and various spot and methods went to No2. There were 3 mousers and one other on the road bank so I set up Di7 and boobys but only managed one take and no fish... Mousers were doing ok though and then I moved along to the other bloke fishing and he had just caught one and had a pull on small gold head buzzer. I gave that method a few tries but gave in and admitted defeat. Water clarity is gin clear with the levels on No2 going down and the concrete at waters edge becoming very slippery so beware....
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: 2015 prices Reply with quote

http://www.bristolwaterfisheries.co.uk/prices/

any one out this weekend?
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Ian. Smile

Looks like £1 more for a boat and 50p more for a bank ticket on Chew next year then. I note the pikers have taken a bigger hit with an extra £3.50 for a boat (£40) and another £2.50 for a bank ticket (£20.00) although I dont expect that will put any of them off trying to book.

I'll probably give tomorrow a miss although don't be too surprised if you see me. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a very foggy morning and off to chew for final day bank fishing around 09.30.. I was surprised to be the only one I could see bank fishing as conditions were great.... Woodford bank intermediate line and minky booby on the point.. Water clarity the best I have seen all year but it was fairly shallow all along..... occasional fish moving and after an hour big swirl as I lifted off... Few casts later and bang into a nice fish but lost it after the hook pulled out.. Evil or Very Mad The fog slowly cleared around midday and Jake and Tony from Bristol waters came along to join me along woodford. They were closer to the jetty and I was pretty central. Still fish were showing and bfore long after changing to slow fig 8 retrieve my line tightened and a lovely 3.8 lb rainbow came to the net.. Smile Tony and Jake moved further down woodford and first cast Tony was into a fish.. I persevered in the same place and thought I had lost my leader twice to mr pike as very clean break in the line after strong takes.... Tony was getting plenty of follows so I tagged onto the end of the bank and then I was getting plenty of follows. Fish were high in the water and keen to have a look. I then messed up my lnie and changed for the last hour to D15 as it was set up already.. I put on a booby minky type fly that I had tied myself( yes I am trying to teach myself to tie at last) and managed to tempt a 2lber to my net.. very happy bunny... The fish had taken it right down and then I noticed the orange foam backed blob I had lost earlier in its mouth so I had caught one I had lost earlier in the day Shock
Great end to the season for me.... Lovely warm day and great fishing. should have stayed later than 3pm but had stuff to do. Think the fish would have been up for floater line and washing line as they were cruising up and down all day high in the water.
Ian
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get down for last day but was consoling myself it would have been c**p anyway, and Ian goes and reports empty banks, lovely conditions, moving fish etc etc. So thanks for that Bov.

Many thanks to all for the various reports & postings. Until next year.....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 47 of 49

Jump to: