The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Halliford Mere

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Halliford Mere Reply with quote

Managed to get 2.5 hours at Halliford yesterday. Was a last minute thing after work yesterday. Complete cloud cover had the fish high up in the water. Although there very few fish showing. Managed four fish and missed at least five takes. Caught most of them on a very quick retrieve and one on the drop. Missed a few takes doing rolly poly retrieve. Was good sport. Most fun I've had there in ages. All fish taken on a gold head with green body and white tail fritze type pattern. My fav go to fly.
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Kev! Glad to see the go to fly still works!!
SP61LTY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Halliford for the first time after work yesterday, first fishing trip in the South of England and it was a blank! (recently re-located from Newcastle!).

I hooked several roache, pain in the @rse!

Floating line with 15ft leader, gold head nymph slow retrieve, white fritz fast retrieve and not a single bite!

Any tips for this time of the year at the lake, is a two fly set up the way to go? lure or nymphs?

Off there again toight for a few hours, I have to land!
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP61LTY wrote:
Went to Halliford for the first time after work yesterday, first fishing trip in the South of England and it was a blank! (recently re-located from Newcastle!).

I hooked several roache, pain in the @rse!

Floating line with 15ft leader, gold head nymph slow retrieve, white fritz fast retrieve and not a single bite!

Any tips for this time of the year at the lake, is a two fly set up the way to go? lure or nymphs?

Off there again toight for a few hours, I have to land!

Hi mate!
Welcome to the forum!
The Mere can be really hard especially in the summer. Too much weed, white fluff all over the lakes & not enough fish!
I would only bother with Lake 1 as it's the deepest.
White fritz or white cats whisker normally goes well but you'll need a longer leader, up to 20' or a sink tip line.
Let the fly sink right to the bottom the slow retrieve.
But what works well on one day won't do well on another!
Spring & late autumn better to fish there.

Where are you based?

Nigel.
SP61LTY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good forum to join

Another blank!

The guy at the lodge helped me out abit tonight but still no good,
You're right about the fluff! Absolute nightmare, convinced myself every fish is hiding beneath that!

Spoke to a few fellas on the lake and nobody caught so I don't feel to pi**ed ha.

I'm based in windsor, is there any where close you could recommend? Although I will keep battling the mere!
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be tough this time of year - especially with the recent heatwave. If there is a bit of a breeze fish the windlines that develop - all the crud drifting past has lots of small insects in it. Nobody to my knowledge has ever worked out what they take off the top in summer. Very small ptn's seemed to work for some (smaller than 20's). I had a season ticket until recently but as i am lazy only used to fish afternoons and evening. Sedge's around the lillies in the evening Goddards or balloon caddis sometimes tricked a few in the evenings. Often Pete (a regular season ticket holder - fishes off a little seat) used to say he'd had shedloads until 11am then it switched off - I usually rocked up at 1pm!

Early or late, bit of a blow and small ptn, hares ear, cats stripped quick, sedges off the top and bloodworms in winter and spring.

I think the corner by the entrance is deepest, coolest and where the springs feed the lake so might be best if hot. Although i have hardly fished at all recently i feel Halliford in recent times is harder than ever - I used to fish lake 3 a lot under the trees sighting fish. Not sure if this is being stocked - it wasn't last year....I was usually happy with 2 fish in a session and a few years back would expect 2 and the challenge was to catch from all 3 lakes. On balance I had more confidence with a single fly rig but a washingline also worked with some decent fish on a black booby on the point.

Brian - the owner isnt too bad once you get to know him Rolling Eyes there are some good fish in there but bloody difficult sometimes. Brownies show up in autumn but are also pretty picky Confused Best fish I had there was a 8.5lb rainbow on a montana in spring I think. I saw much bigger chasing fry years back but not recently

Good luck mate, and welcome to the forum

Roger
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nipped into Halliford yesterday at about 6.30pm. Had five fish all to a blue flash damsel in lake three which they have now started restocking. To my knowledge well over a hundred fish has gone into the lake. It is now a hunt and seek them out lake by eye and then when you find the fish they are there for the taking. Many swims have now been cleared a d started to look beautiful to fish. Well done to them for the effort made. A great evenings fishing and after the storms was a lovely evening. I was the only fisherman at the venue. So exclusively my lake thank you very much.
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Fished 28/04/2017 Reply with quote

Had a little two hour jaunt down to my local lake Halliford Mere after work tonight. The cloud has been total cover all day and I was chomping to go fishing as normally the fish are high in the water in cloudy days. Got home and the Mrs and child were out, no permission needed, so I popped down the lakes.
Now thats how the weekend should start!

The fish were high in the water on the point and so I opted for a single klink but could not reach a pod of moving fish. Had to move location until I found fish opposite the car park I could reach. Still no luck on klinks but had five or six rises to the fly and could not hook one. Changed to a wet fly dragged fast 3 inches under the surface and nothing. Then another favourite of mine fishing cloudy days a black fritz or any large black fly fished fast just under the surface. Still no luck but a couple of follows.

In desperation I put on a foam arsed green blob as it was going dark fast and I could not see a surface fly and first cast a take. Que mahem for the last twenty minutes fishing. Missed about twenty takes and landed five fish. Some times getting two or three takes a cast. But each cast had to be perfect and to my maximum distance to reach a pod of fish moving on the surface. 8.20pm and I get a shout from across the water, the peeps are leaving the lake and want to lock up. Gutted as the place started. boiling with fish rising every where. Left there a happy bunny with mahem for that short period. Worth every penny tonight this lake was.

Off for chinese take away and a couple of beers now. The mother of all long weekends begins with a bang!!! Happy days. Might go again tomorrow as cloud cover looks the same. No Mrs and no child again
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought have you tried a dark coloured FAB fished on the surface, it would no doubt remind the trout of happier days in the stock pond.
Evil or Very Mad
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody fished Halliford recently? I was wondering if its worth a day out of the house in this lockdown. Syon, my closest lake, has decided "IN LIGHT OF THE NEW LOCK DOWN SYON WILL BE SEASON/WINTER MEMBERSHIP ONLY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE" which is ripoff expensive and the lake can freeze solid for much of the time! Pity as I had some great fish last time out from there. Halliford I haven't fished since I gave up my season ticket and the new guy took over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: