The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Soft Plastic lure fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licences for those under sixteen and over sixty five aren't requireD for beaches and off the rocks.
Don' know if you are eligible.
Shock Smile
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off to the LAS lure fair in Rickmansworth today only 15 mins drive away, its very nice of them to think about me when organizing it Very Happy
No doubt I will be tempted into buying more things that I do not need.

There has been a lack of fishing for me in the last few weeks so not much to report.
Ff

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin and I booked a boat on the any method reservoir called Hannigfield in Essex on the 26th April.
But we could not have picked a worse day to try out this venue. It was blowing a very strong North Easterly with rain forecast.
The plan was to lure fish from a boat, catch some rainbows and then maybe a bit of Perch and Pike fishing, well that was the plan. We set out into the teeth of the wind and went to a large tower on the opposite side of the reservoir into calmer waters, dropped anchor sorted out the gear and fired up the fish finder. We were in ten foot of water and a flat bottom with no features so we tried a few casts with no interest.
After about half an hour out went the drogue and we started the long drift back across the reservoir.
The wind had dropped a bit but the fishing was very hard, I had one rainbow on but it leapt from the water and threw the ABU Atom and that was it for that drift.
We then tried a drift past the cages and that was fruitless apart from a follow and a knock. There was nothing else to do but go in and have a hot drink in the very nice cafe and warm up and try and get some help from the wardens.
The warden recommended the area around the Goldfish bowl this was the area were all the other boats were anchored and bank anglers were. We decided to carry on drifting the area and did several runs through this general area again we had a couple of fish on and nothing in the boat.
It was very frustrating as we could see the odd fish being caught from the bank (on bait) and one fish on a plug from a boat. We tried spoons, plugs, soft plastics, spinners, flies and even a worm on a drop shot to no effect.
We will no doubt try again as it is good to be able to fish an unrestricted range of size lures from a boat.
Regarding Pike and Perch, they must be in there, and there are some impressive looking pictures of Pike of 20 to 30lb outside the shop. It did strike us that allot of the pike holding spots would be in the nature reserve so out of bounds. The bottom like most reservoirs was flat and featureless so finding Perch would be a long project with good electronics (in my opinion)
we will give it another go so maybe a more positive catch report to follow soon.
Fryfishing
AKA
Peter

Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off to Florida in May.
The Bass Pro shop and Dicks Outdoors (not a nudist camp ) are within easy access.
Does any one have advice on how I avoid buying lots a soft plastic things Embarassed

My name is Peter and I am an addict ( well bait caster reels and soft plastic things)
Very Happy

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back from Florida; we had a great holiday staying in Miami South Beach and Lauderdale by the Sea. I will not bore you with the details and holiday snaps of that.
The trip to Bass Pro shop was a bit of a highlight for me, I bought a fishing licence for the week at $30 and managed to only buy things that I cannot find here in the UK, but it was hard with so many tempting items. If you have never been to one of their shops it is quite an experience.

So the fishing was interesting, I had a good look at Google Maps for the area I was staying and there was a good amount of water on display but a lot of it is fenced off or big signs saying private. One also needs to be careful that if you fish the canals it is fresh and not saline water. You need a different licence to fish salt water but if you have one there are Snook, Redfish and Tarpon in there if you can find them.
I caught my biggest bass from a lake by a shopping mall at around 4lb so I was very happy with that.
I also had a day booked with Thadeus Ragan (thadeusragan@hotmail.com) a guide who I used when I was over there about three years ago to fish on the Everglades. The day did not start well with an amazing thunder storm and heavy rain on the drive over to the meeting spot. Once there it settled down and we set out along the everglade canals fishing top water baits and soft plastic worms ( senko’s).
The bass were biting well and Thadeus was into a good fish first cast but it took me a bit longer to get the hang of the method but once in gear the fish came regularly. The method was to cast a long way ahead of the boat next to the lily pads or sawgrass and twitch and pause it back.
My last fish of the day proved to be my biggest fish to date a five pounder.

There are a lot of invasive species there one of which is the Sickle fish ( that can be caught all day long on small lures (and big) and bait, they must not be returned and are great eating fish. We made an old boys day by filling his bucket with Sickles from the live well.
It was a great days fishing, he charges $400 for six hours which sounds a lot but that is was a lot of guides charge for four hours.
Get in touch if you are planning a trip out there and I will help with any advice I can.

https://youtu.be/gwd8w06P9hk

Happy Days
Fryfishing

Last edited by Fryfishing on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read Peter, and some fascinating pics too. Cool

Thanks for posting. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been told by a contact on another forum that he had a 45 minute wait in a que to buy a boat ticket for Hanningfeild.
This does rather worry me for the furure fly fishing only waters.
As you know we blanked when went.
Peter

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been rather quite on this post, I have been out with the lure rod but the hot weather rather puts me off fishishing apart from a few hours before dark.
I am afraid to report I have also been spending some money on a second hand RevoS and a fancy Gipping Valley baitcaster rod. Both have been christened with fish but nothing to note worthy, but always welcome.
I have also been playing with a new setup for the Perch and Pike which involves a spinner blade, weight and a curly tail. It seems to work as when I have been testing them to see how they swim both Perch and Pike have shown an interest.
If I can not put a picture on here I will add one later ( IPads Sad )
The live worm dropshot has also found some very nice Perch holes at the local club too run the lures through, so I have found it a very good method for exploring waters for future lure sessions.
I am also now considering clearing out some tackle that has been bought and no longer gets used.
The next planned lure trip for me will probably be Pitsford for the pike and Perch but I may make the trip around the M25 to Hannigfeild.
Watch this space.

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been struggling with Windows 10 not having a Photo re-size option and have reverted back to my old lap top to edit the pictures.
Any way here is my set up for a spinner head and curly tail worm, its early days but seems to work.

Let me know what you think or have any advice.

Liked by: fossil-fish
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin and I had a return visit to Pitsford for a days fishing on the lure ticket, there has been a few changes in the rules to make the perch fishing more of an option. It means a reduction in lure size and no wire trace when fishing a single barbless hook ( drop shot ).
I started and fished most of the day with Lake Fork schads around four inches that were purchased at the Bass Pro shop (also available from AGM)
Although it was a very hard day for the Pike I had the best Perch of 2016 so far at three and a half pounds and a follow from what looked like a double figure brown, OMG as the youngsters say Very Happy
The days weather was much better than forecast but we did suffer some major down pours but with light wind and overcast conditions it looked perfect for fishing. Unfortunately it was not the case as the Flyfishing was tough and we saw little caught by others fishing lures.
The new regulations make it far more flexible with the choice of lures that can be used and despite the theory that trout are suckers for a spinners a day at Pitsford can more than prove this incorrect.
I will post a picture or two once I can resize them.
Tight lines.

Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaa

Last edited by Fryfishing on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG indeed! Well done! Very Happy
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, did you see the perch picture and lure?? as the wrong pics were showing on my screen???

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: