The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

U V Resin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drsixty7

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bring my stuff to Elinor so you guys can give it a critique
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
I bought a torch and resin from eBay, the torch seems fine I think it is maybe the cheap thick resin that is the issue.
So far I have just been playing with it to see if it is worth a further investment in better thinner resin.
It won't go to waste because I am also an avid perch and Pike lure fisherman and I can use it up attaching eyes to Jig head etc.
Ff

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Hi Paul
I bought a torch and resin from eBay, the torch seems fine I think it is maybe the cheap thick resin that is the issue.
So far I have just been playing with it to see if it is worth a further investment in better thinner resin.
It won't go to waste because I am also an avid perch and Pike lure fisherman and I can use it up attaching eyes to Jig head etc.
Ff

Ah ok I have read that the cheap generic stuff (like for nails etc) is hit and miss. The thickness of the gel shouldn't have any effect on the setting so long as the curing wavelength matches the output of the torch (which I would guess would be the main cause of poor setting). If you know any one with any of the branded ones give it a go and I don't think you'll be anywhere near as disappointed - it's been a bit of a revelation to me tbh.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold a few bits and bobs on EBay so have ordered some expensive Bug Bond, I will use up ( if I live long enough Very Happy ) the other stuff on my lure jig heads and jig flies.
The buzzers do look good finished with UV resin I wonder what the trout at Farmoor will make of them.
Ff

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to buy an extra bottle of varnish to counter the tackiness of this dental resin by-product
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
Don't forget to buy an extra bottle of varnish to counter the tackiness of this dental resin by-product

Yep good advice there.

Cool
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats worrying, I though the expensive stuff dried hard?
If not I will send it back for a refund and stick with varnish and super glue.
Watch this space.
FF

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the early posts in this section & there are many dozens of product reviews online.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Arkle.
Well the Bug Bond arrived and it set solid with a good burst of torch light.
Cheers
Ff

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that it doesn't set solid, but it remains "tacky", see the video, kindly supplied by Chris, a.k.a. "Greyhackle"

Hence the suggestion that you'll need extra varnish, which almost defeats the purpose, as you're doing in two stages, what could & should be done in one, with less product, time & virtually no smell.

Check out the experience of one major U.S. dealer at the bottom of the page http://www.deercreek.co.uk/DIAMOND-UV-RESINS.html
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm see what you mean
I feel more than a bit ripped off by the UV resin experience.
Strangely the tacky nature of resin does not get a mention in the fly tying demonstration videos, I wonder why Rolling Eyes
I may put it all up for sale on Ebay and stay with super glue and varnish.
FF

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll see that the price of Diamondhard is noticeably cheaper than the one you have & much quicker to use, just the once, other than multiple sessions of faffing about with super glue, then maybe several coats of varnish.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after tying some U.V resin buzzer patterns and using them, my conclusions are.

They last longer after being crunched by several trout (around 6 on the same fly last night and still in good order)
I like the way you can build profile hit it with the torch maybe add a bit of colour, a tad more resin and then torch again.

But I do not like.
That no matter how long the UV torch is on it the surface remains tacky.

It seems to be like most of these things, it is not the magic answer.
If someone has a tip to get the stuff to set by using UV light and does it not cost a lot I would be keen to know, otherwise I will just varnish them.
Thanks
FF

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, reference the "tacky" finish, it depends on which make of resin you're using & the type of torch you use with it. The Lazer torch & Diamondhard will not give you these problems, as has been previously stated here & everywhere else they are mentioned. As it dries "diamondhard" it also does not have any noticeable smell, at least to us humans.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my plan is to use up the bottle of Bug Bond that I have, ( which will take a while) and then go back to varnish and super glue.
But thanks for the advice Arkle.
FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: