The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

U V Resin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather that most people who use that brand, give their resin a coating of varnish anyway to try & cover up the tackiness, which sort of defeats the purpose of using it as a fast one shot job in the 1st place
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some of the stuff that Cliff Harvey sells together with the recommended torch. The ad blurb reckons it cures in about 2 seconds under the light. It doesn't but certainly does after about 5 seconds.

Another useful attribute is that after an hour or so in natural daylight the stuff sets anyway, so I cure the flies and then leave them out for another hour or two to let the natural UV finish the job. Bug Bond you could leave for a week and it's still be tacky.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is my torch (£15.99 from fishtec)? It says in the instructions 10 to 15 seconds while rotating the fly, that defiantly does not work.
Arkle is this the light you use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-RESIN-PEN-TORCH-FOR-CURING-USE-WITH-BUG-OFF-BOND-DEER-CREEK-MORE-LASER-/351424530730?pt=LH

I may look for another torch but I am not sure how much more cash to throw at this.
Happy day
FF

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly appears to be similar to the laser torch I have, & if you look elsewhere on ebay you'll probably find them cheaper still, use the search bar at the top of the page for laser pointer.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought into the UV gel idea I remember doing quite a bit of reading and several times come across the recommendation to get the laser pen rather than the LED torch - no matter which brand you go for as the torches are slower to fully cure resin, eat batteries, take a very long time / can even fail to set the resin at all when the batteries get low and the LEDs themselves have a limited lifetime of emitting the right wavelengths of UV needed to set the resin.

I can't tell you if there is any truth in that as I took the advice and ordered a bug off laser kit (which comes with that very 405nm laser pen you link to) and never had a problem- batteries last ages and definitely no residue at all. Whether your Bug Bond will behave the same with that laser pen again I don't know but I would be surprised if it doesn't as I can't see there being very much difference at all between them no matter what brand you get.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the laser pen is definitely better than the torch BUT both brands of UV gel are still a bit tacky even after after a long blast from the laser pen.
It may well be some thing that I am doing so still a bit more messing around until I am convinced.

I have found though that it is very good for attaching eyes to my jig heads and also for covering the twisted wire on the pike traces I have been making up.

Ff

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only slight disadvantage with laser torch's is that they produce a single , fairly narrow beam consequently they require a bit more accuracy when doing larger pike/sea flies.

I think you'll find that provided there is no prior contamination of other chemicals i.e. like superglues etc, the tackiness problem lies with your chosen brand of resin. The most notable issue with superglue, is that it can cause resins to go slightly less transparent btw.

Many, many pages have been written about certain "big brands" remaining tacky & having to be re-coated with Sally H or other varnishes, which sort of defeats the purpose of using it in the 1st place.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
I think you'll find that provided there is no prior contamination of other chemicals i.e. like superglues etc, the tackiness problem lies with your chosen brand of resin. The most notable issue with superglue, is that it can cause resins to go slightly less transparent btw.

I think contamination with superglue can be an issue with clarity as the heads of some of my saltwater flies have developed a milky white colouration over time. Perhaps age and how the resin is stored may be a factor too?

For what it is worth I have tried Bug Bond and Deer Creek UV resin and initially had excellent results with both but towards the end of the bottle I noticed that it was getting more difficult to get a completely tack free finish. However as Wylye has noted, an hour or two in direct sunlight, especially at this time of year when UV rays are strong, seemed to do the trick and I havent had to resort to coating with Sally H yet. If I did I wouldnt bother because as has already been pointed out, it defeats the object.

Personally I have found the Deer Creek laser pen to be excellent and wouldn't go back to the conventional UV torch. I feel that the intense beam of light penetrates and cures the UV resin more thoroughly however it is worth taking note of the technical instructions that come with your choice of UV resin. I have just bought a bottle of Harvey Anglings Liquid Glass UV resin and they warn that the torch you use has to be on a 395nm wavelength to cure the resin. My laser pen took around 10-15 seconds to get the desired result this evening so it didn't set 'almost instantly', but it did provide a clear, tack free finish. It will be interesting to see if that is still the case when the bottle is nearly empty! Smile

Hope this helps Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's not a short read, you may find this interesting http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/351251-bug-bond-review/
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the attached http://youtu.be/N8gJFB2pJQ4 While looking for a fry pattern and they mention using hand sanatiser to get rid of tacky feel.
I have stayed with a dab of varnish.
Ff

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nearly two years on, I was tying some buzzer patterns for a friend of mine last night and now find the Bug Bond is a much thicker consistency.
Is it time to dump that bottle and buy a new one, Deer Creek this time?
Also, chatting to someone who ties large Pike flies on the subject of UV resin he said he is using a U.V nail dryer (from Ebay) and that works without a tacky finish.
Ff

arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the standard Diamondhard is not the right consistency for you, there are now several others to choose from, https://www.deercreek.co.uk/uv-resin & you can see them in use here https://www.deercreek.co.uk/videos
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Harvey Angling Liquid Glass UV resin has also become thicker since I last used it and I was too late to buy any more in their closing down sale. However while looking around for an alternative I noted that my Deer Creek UV laser pens 405nm wavelength happened match Bug Off UV resin which can be found on ebay. At £6 delivered I thought it was worth a punt and so far I have found that it cures quickly and tack free. Not had it long enough to give a final thumbs up or to see if it gets thicker with age but so far so good, especially at the price! You can get it in a thinner version too. Smile

I heard somewhere that keeping UV resin in the fridge can prolong its life but I can't for the life of me remember where. Certainly my conservatory where I do all my tying gets very hot in summer and that could be having an adverse effect on my UV resin, whatever its source. Confused

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
BlankDay
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Bug Off for a few years now, along with the UV pen. I got the standard and the light versions of the resin but so haven't tried the light.

Heat might well have an adverse effect on the stuff, but it's not a problem we have to deal with up this way.
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that it last longer in the fridge.
I use UV for building profile on buzzers and other flies, Fixing eyes on flies & jig heads and on wire trace connections and that is about it.
It is worth having for those jobs as it is far easier than other methods.
Ff

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: