The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Controlling sea lice in Salmon farms with Wrasse

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Conservation -> Conservation Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Controlling sea lice in Salmon farms with Wrasse Reply with quote

Saw this on the news today and it looks promising. Using Wrasse to control sea lice on salmon farms has to be a more sustainable solution that using chemicals or am I being naive ? It wont be the first time that big business has promoted an eco friendly approach to mask the real picture. Some of the wrasse also looked rather small so I hope the salmon don't prefer them to pellets! Laughing

Anyway, have a look here and see what you think.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan it's a PR stunt by Marine Harvest et al .The industry is under pressure to clean up their act due to the millions and millions of sea lice destroying the salmon and sea trout smolts migrating to sea notwithstanding the use of toxins to control their numbers. On land Closed Containment for the industry is the way forward - no highly toxic chemicals deposited into the sea, eradication of sea lice and most importantly no escapees mixing their genes with the native wild salmon.

Now here's a question - why would a cleaner fish eat sea lice when they have tons and tons of high protein feeder pellets available??????

Cheers

Doug
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Doug. Closed containment is the only completely safe option, with the added advantage that they can micro-manage the environment for optimum growth etc Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Conservation -> Conservation Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: