The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Cornwall Bass trip June/July 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Cornwall Bass trip June/July 2016 Reply with quote

I always look forward to my annual early summer bass trip to Cornwall with Luke Kozak (Koz) and after moving into Tellytubby Central it was time to enjoy a great cooked breakfast prepared by Luke and to make plans for the days ahead. Cool

The weather wasn't too bad, being warm and overcast but there was a very strong gusting SW wind that would rule out some marks so we decided to start on one of our favourites that would offer a little shelter from the prevailing wind. This mark is fair walk of a mile or so from the car park with a very steep hill so our usual plan is to stop on our way at low water to fish for Pollack before the tide turns and starts to cover the mark we fish for Bass. Normally small Pollack are plentiful at low water and my usual trick is to count down a D7 Cold Saltwater line until I find the fish but this time they proved very difficult to locate. We ended up with just two fish - a 40cm Pollack for me and what was a first for us from this mark on this state of the tide, a small Bass for Luke ...

We were both particularly pleased with the bass as it showed they were inshore so as soon as the tide turned we headed towards the main Bass mark with added anticipation. Although on a good tide it is possible to catch at different spots along our mark there is one point that is particularly good and Luke got there first, although I wasn't worried as the next point along can fish well too. However it wasn't long before Luke called to say he had a fish on and soon a small Schoolie in the 30 -36cm class was quickly released. I fished on with my usual Ghost tip line and Nayat hair baitfish approach with added confidence but it was Luke who called out again .... and again .... and again to say he had a fish on or he had just lost a fish. Rolling Eyes

Eventually his fish moved off and he moved too to try another mark a few hundred yards away before darkness fell. It was around then that disaster struck when my top rod ring snapped off during a cast. Inspection showed that it was due to corrosion weakening the metal rather than the carbon snapping which is really galling as I make a point of washing my gear thoroughly after every trip. As the saying goes, salt water rots EVERYTHING! Fortunately I could still manage to get a line out of sorts and I had a spare rod back at camp so it wasn't a complete disaster. Mad

Surface lures can do well on this mark so just before darkness fell I changed to my floating line and a Gurgler. I prefer the sea to be a bit calmer for surface lures on this mark but I persevered until around midnight without as much as a follow or a pull. I knew Luke had done well and expected him to have around 4 fish for the evening so imagine my surprise when he told me he had 8 to around 44cms, (around 2lb ) including this one ... Shock Cool

What can I say? As well as the locations he chose, he also got the tactics spot on by fishing subsurface on an intermediate rather that changing to a Gurgler at nightfall and he got his reward. Top angling! Cool

After Wednesday evening the wind strength increased and swung around more to a Westerly. We tried a couple of other marks in the daytime with soft plastics but had no joy at all, apart from a tiny Bass that lunging at my Gurgler in a small creek .... and missing the hook. Rolling Eyes We also fly fished the tide up on a few rock marks but had no luck ....

On Thursday evening I suggested we try another of our favourite spots but it turned out to be a bad call so we agreed to make last minute dash before darkness fell to our former mark. This time I fished the coveted point where I managed to catch my first bass of the trip between 36 -40cms before losing another on an intermediate and Nayat baitfish pattern. Luke also managed another from the new spot he found on Wednesday and when I joined him I had the occasional tug too but I suspect it was small Pollack rather than Bass so with heavy rain forecast we gave it best before midnight.

Friday evening was to be our last session and with wind strengthening to 20mph we knew it would be challenging. To make matters worse, I committed the cardinal sin of not checking my kit before setting off and I found to my dismay that I had left my head torch back in the car! Embarassed This left me with the torch app on my mobile phone and if I was on my own I would have immediately aborted the trip on safety grounds, but with Luke present I decided to fish on from a safe area where any risk would be minimal. To be honest neither of us were very confident and when Luke joined me after dark having not had a pull on the point, we feared the worst. I hadn't really started fishing as the tide needed to come in further to make it worthwhile but soon after I started I had a good pull which resulted in a small Bass which Luke landed for me. As you can see from my startled look, I was still in shock at getting a pull! Laughing

Soon after I hooked a smaller fish under my feet before losing another in the 36-40cm class while trying to handline it out of the water. That's probably why they invented landing nets! Laughing After that it all went quiet for a while until I reeled my line back slowly onto the reel (I always 'fish' it back in at the end of a session) and everything locked up. This was a better fish although not huge - probably 40cms or so - but I never found out because after a couple of runs it threw the hook. I fished on for a while but only had a few taps from suspected small Pollack so when Luke caught his first bass of the session just before 1.00am we decided to give it best. Very Happy

Despite early misgivings about the weather, things turned out much better than expected with a final tally on 13 bass and a pollack over the 3 days. We were surprised that so few pollack showed at our deep, low water marks but the one we had was a good stamp. We have sometimes caught more Bass at this time of year, but we have also caught a lot less so overall it was a good 3 days. Most were in the 30 - 40cms class.

Once again, many thanks to Luke for being great company as well as being a damn fine angler. We have agreed that we must do it again and plans are being laid already! The spirit is certainly willing, I just hope my knees can keep up with the long walks, steep hills and clambering over rocks that are part and parcel of fishing from the shore for Bass! Laughing Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile

Last edited by Allrounder on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, Whistlekiller, springwell, fisherman, Chris, montanajoe, Fryfishing
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report that. Makes a change from the troot!

Smile
Liked by: Allrounder
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable report Alan - Glad to read you both got amongst 'em.

Thanks also for the brilliant pics ...... Cheers Mate ....... Tony Very Happy
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing Tony's words....brilliant report.

Can be a bit grueling going out night after night! Encouraging to see few smaller bass about too.

I had a few nights in the padstow area last month which were fruitess. Although my one night sessions ended quickly due to severe fog, and I'm sure use of my head torch would have put an end to any bass at close range had I of used it.

Well done for getting out and finding a few fish. Cool
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had a good trip Alan - is that the same location we had a decent sized mob turn up to a few years ago? I seem to recognise that hedge you're camping by!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be thinking about the SWFF Social Luke (Koz) organised through the Forum near Weymouth a few years ago, Chris. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, that was the one - that was thoroughly enjoyable although I seem to remember falling asleep on the beach!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/WEnVnX3EMsY

Some I fish bone fishing! Also a nice bone fishing fly at the end for those of you who tie
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
I seem to remember falling asleep on the beach!

Y'don't say? Twisted Evil

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
cornish stalker
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one alan nice read. Glad you had a good time in cornwall fishing picking up a bit now lot more pollack bass mackrel coming in. We have had a bad algae bloom thats affected fishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: