The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Best rod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Best rod Reply with quote

Right how to phrase this so I get the right type of answer
What is the best Stillwater / reservoir fly rod out there?
This should be just based on the performance of the rod and not the cost, so if there is any rod out there that you could be given for free what rod would you want.
Ive had to phrase it like that because I asked a similar question on another forum that shall not be named and they ripped into me because I had a bit of money to spend and I was still a ‘novice’.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well get a multitude of answers BUT Sportfish are currently heavily discounting their Hardy Jet range viz 9'6" wt 6 at £239 down from £399.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/hardy-jet-fly-rod.html?___store=sportfish_main&nosto=productcategory-nosto-1
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best rod Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
. . . I asked a similar question on another forum that shall not be named and they ripped into me because I had a bit of money to spend and I was still a ‘novice’.

The 'reason' is not that you're a 'novice' but because it's such an impossible question to answer. Rods come, as you know, in different lengths, actions and weights and what one angler might consider the bees knees of a rod, another might find completely useless because he fishes in a different place in a different manner.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of consideration I've come to the conclusion that the best rod on the market is ... the best rod for you. That might sound like I am trying to be clever but bear with me. Smile

Everyone on this forum has a combination of individual characteristics which makes them unique. Some are tall, some are short, some are young, some are old, some have excellent eye/hand coordination, others (like me) are not so blessed, for some their casting loops are extremely important while for others the priority is how the rod performs overall. Given all these variables it is perhaps not surprising that no one rod will suit everyone. A good example is the story Tony Lakefisher tells of his trip to Sportfish some years ago to buy a new rod for pike fishing. He tested a number of rods including expensive top of the range brands but settled on a mid priced model because in his hands, it simply out performed the others.

So rather than trying to identify the best brand and model on the market, my advice would be to have a cast with as many rods as possible and pick the one that suits you best. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, Whistlekiller, fossil-fish
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well considered answer Alan - and completely correct Cool

There is no such thing as "the best rod" - Only whichever rod suits any given individual, for a particular purpose.

Alan has told of my tale of choosing a rod at Sportfish - but bear in mind that I only had a choice of the 3 they had in stock to test on their casting pool. Wink "test" being the important word Wink

Previously, I had been the owner of my own small trout lake - at which, to put a little back into my chosen sport, I offered free casting lessons and have thus used clients own tackle to demonstrate that in the main, and in the right hands - tackle does not have to be "top of the range" to be effective.
From a "Sage" to a "Woolworth's", I have used them all. Is there a "best" ? No - only the best for the chap using it for a particular purpose - Think of the variety of situations in our sport - Pike, trout in tiny streams, Reservoir trout, River trout, and all in between. No one rod will even cater for all these scenarios.
Even when you have singled out " Stillwater / reservoir fly rod " there are still many variables. Bank or boat - and the particular physical characteristics/skill level, of the chap using it

So, I completely agree with Alan's last statement " rather than trying to identify the best brand and model on the market, my advice would be to have a cast with as many rods as possible and pick the one that suits you best." i.e. "test"

Cheers ...... Tony.
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have all said is very true but what I was really asking is if you yourself was fishing stillwater/reservoirs and somebody offered to buy you whatever rod you wanted for that type of fishing, what rod would that be ?
Whats YOUR dream rod and why?
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
I was really asking is if you yourself was fishing stillwater/reservoirs and somebody offered to buy you whatever rod you wanted for that type of fishing, what rod would that be ?
Whats YOUR dream rod ?

Sage or Orvis would do nicely. Both have good warranties.

Cool
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:
drybuzzer wrote:
I was really asking is if you yourself was fishing stillwater/reservoirs and somebody offered to buy you whatever rod you wanted for that type of fishing, what rod would that be ?
Whats YOUR dream rod ?

Cool

Any particular models
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
Grey Hackle wrote:
drybuzzer wrote:
Whats YOUR dream rod ?

Cool

Any particular models

I like the fast action rods so dream would be any of the new rods with this action.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:

Strange as it seems I am happy with the rods I have but in order to answer your question it would probably be between ...

Hardy Wraith 9' #6 - because Sintrix seems to have stood the test of time as a genuine advance in blank technology. I have never cast one though but since you are offering ...! Laughing Very Happy

Winston Boron III 9' #6 - I have the entry level Winston Vapor in a #4 weight and I love it. They also come with a sturdy metal tube and quality rod bag and to me the brand oozes class.

Any Sage rod - because they seem to hold their price if I want to trade it on! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile

Last edited by Allrounder on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
All you have all said is very true but what I was really asking is if you yourself was fishing stillwater/reservoirs and somebody offered to buy you whatever rod you wanted for that type of fishing, what rod would that be ?

I'd still want to try a few out to see which suited me best and without testing I wouldn't know, and neither would you in the same position because you're different to me and vice versa. That is why the question is unanswerable. One man's meat is another's poison and always will be. Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder has already put this very well. However, I have recently bought myself one of the new Wychwood RS series of rods. For me anyway this is definitely the nicest fly rod I have owned.

http://www.wychwoodgame.co.uk/products/rods-and-reels/fly-rods/rs-fly-rods/A0548

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:

You really don't get it do you . . . 'that type of fishing,'? What is that type of fishing? Is it fishing 'over the front', traditional loch style, is it drifting bow first on a rudder with a fast sinking / lead core line cast 40 yards across the wind, maybe a couple of dry flies, a team of buzzers . . . etc etc? For reservoir fishing I have rods that are part of my 'armoury' from 10ft, AFTM 11/13 to 8ft 9", 3wt . . . all, on their day are absolutely ideal and fit for purpose and I wouldn't want to be without any of them. There is not one 'best' rod, best line, reel or whatever, you're trying to find something a little more challenging than the Holy Grail.
Liked by: Whistlekiller
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok right some got it some didnt.
I dont want to pick your brains so that I can go out and buy your favourite rod all I wanted to know was what is YOUR dream Reservoir rod.
So lets try again lol
You are on a reservoir in the perfect weather for you, located on the perfect piece of bank/boat etc. and fishing your favourite method and you look in your hand and you think ....I wish I had a ...... rod.
I agree with all you have all said and probably by the diverse answers we get we will prove that there is no perfect rod that suites everyone.
But that said, it would still be interesting to see the range of rods people hanker after if money/availability was not an object.
Simple as that ( I want a Aston Martin DB11 car now, why? because that is what I want, thats all)
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse wrote:

You really don't get it do you . . . 'that type of fishing,'? What is that type of fishing? Is it fishing 'over the front', traditional loch style, is it drifting bow first on a rudder with a fast sinking / lead core line cast 40 yards across the wind, maybe a couple of dry flies, a team of buzzers . . . etc etc? For reservoir fishing I have rods that are part of my 'armoury' from 10ft, AFTM 11/13 to 8ft 9", 3wt . . . all, on their day are absolutely ideal and fit for purpose and I wouldn't want to be without any of them. There is not one 'best' rod, best line, reel or whatever, you're trying to find something a little more challenging than the Holy Grail.

Well, you saved me from writing a reply stranger. Smile

These type of threads appear on all forums.

What is the best this that and the other and they join the list of the top ten threads to ignore in my opinion unless the request is more specific and relates to solving a genuine query.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: